Delo 400 SD 15w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck finding it. It supposed to be available at O'Reilly and Napa. Neither have it and if you get it on line it's as expensive a synthetic, $22.99 a gallon for dino isn't cost effective.

O'Reilley stopped carrying it a year and a half ago.
Closed it out for 3.00 a gallon. I found some about 5 months ago, but had to ask for it. They fetched it from the back room, and were shocked when it rang at 3.00 per. I agree expensive at retail.
Mobil 1630 at Rural King has very similar specs, although sold as a straight weight. 13 and change a gallon.
BTW, the Widman calculator shows that 3 gallons of Delo 10w30, and 1 of straight 30 gets you virtually the same viscosity as the 15w30.

I used some for a while. Not cost effective, but it had plenty of ZDDP, so I liked it for the Bug and the old slant-six. Rotella/Delo 15w40, or Rotella 10w30 of you don't want to use a 15w40, is mucho more cheap, readily available, and has decent enough ZDDP.

EDIT: I think Delo actually dropped their ZDDP levels, but Rotella was still hovering around 1000 phosphorus last VOA I saw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Imp4
Readily available at Amazon.
3 pack of 1 gallon containers for $66.
Not sure how to make it more convenient...
It was in the low $40s the other day. I had high hopes but then it shot up again. I doubt I'll get it for $23 for 3 gallons again.

Originally Posted By: hatt
It was in the low $40s the other day. I had high hopes but then it shot up again. I doubt I'll get it for $23 for 3 gallons again.

This is the perfect situation for Camelcamelcamel.
Set an email alert for your price point and you'll nenver have to try to 'catch' a good price again.

This is the perfect situation for Camelcamelcamel.
Set an email alert for your price point and you'll nenver have to try to 'catch' a good price again.
I use an app.

I use an app.

There was a time i did this also. But my phone tended to fill up with junk that didn't get used that often.
The great thing with camelcamelcamel.com is that you go, enter your info, and it pings you when your price point is met.
No extra junk to install on your phone or anything.
Nice and clean!

I use an app.

There was a time i did this also. But my phone tended to fill up with junk that didn't get used that often.
The great thing with camelcamelcamel.com is that you go, enter your info, and it pings you when your price point is met.
No extra junk to install on your phone or anything.
Nice and clean!
I actually use a chrome app
(keepa) on my desktop. I get an email when a price point is reached. Like you, I try to keep my phone apps to a minimum.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

BTW, the Widman calculator shows that 3 parts of Delo 10w30, and 1 part of straight 30 gets you virtually the same viscosity as the 15w30.

I'd just mix it 50/50

Originally Posted By: beanoil
O'Reilley stopped carrying it a year and a half ago.
Closed it out for 3.00 a gallon. I found some about 5 months ago, but had to ask for it. They fetched it from the back room, and were shocked when it rang at 3.00 per. I agree expensive at retail.
Mobil 1630 at Rural King has very similar specs, although sold as a straight weight. 13 and change a gallon.
BTW, the Widman calculator shows that 3 gallons of Delo 10w30, and 1 of straight 30 gets you virtually the same viscosity as the 15w30.

3 bucks a gallon you stole it! Reason I was interested in the 15w is because I read it has great oxidation protection. I read a lot and probably believe to much of what I read.

Last edited:

I saw that. Convenient yes, cost effective no.

Its not just the viscosity of this particular oil that is being seeked, its the very robust additive package it had as well as the HTHS stability! I want some for my 6.0 PSD but its impossible to find locally and I don't do mail order oil. Too heavy to ship and hassle with.

I only use it for beak-in oil for newly rebuilt engines. Once I know they are running OK and done with their first 500 miles, out it comes and a good HDEO like Mystic JT8 goes in.

At the current prices, it's to costly to justify for daily use, unless doing real off-road hard charging work ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back