Delo 30wt no longer carries S rating, use it or not ?

I just ordered a couple gallons of Delo 400 30wt oil for my Kawasaki water cooled v twin. The old Delo 400 was SL rated, but the new bottles I received only have CF rating on them. All the literature on the Chevron site says all Delo 400 are mixed fleet gas and diesel oils, and the pds from 2018 says SJ.
Should I use it in my gasoline JD 425 Kawasaki Vtwin or send it back. It was listed on Oriellys website as SJ rated, but it's not.

I would use it. In fact, I’m considering a SAE 30 diesel oil in my Toro ZTR with a 24.5 hp air cooled v-twin. Right now, I’m using a SAE 30 HD gasoline engine oil.

Use it, it might actually mean it has more additives than SL is allowed. That or they stopped paying for the test certification for SL. Either way, diesel 30 weight is one of the most shear stable lubes for hard working OPE.

My real guess is that they just don't sell a lot of 30wt oil and there isn't a real need to pay for the certification testing, which costs an arm and a leg. I work in HVAC and I can tell you the cert testing on everything from refrigerant to equipment to technicians is mostly just a money maker. What a shame.

I know that after May 1, no API motor oil with more than 800 ppm phosphorus will get a SN rating, however, they didn’t mention a SL rating. We should check other brands. It might be that no API oil with more than 800 ppm phosphorus will get any kind of S rating. As of May 1, SN is obsolete.

Last edited:
Contact Chevron and see what they say. If it were me I would use it. I had used Super Tech 30wt diesel rated oil only in my air cool engines in
the past with no ill effect. As long as you have no cats it should be good to go.

I just ordered a couple gallons of Delo 400 30wt oil for my Kawasaki water cooled v twin. The old Delo 400 was SL rated, but the new bottles I received only have CF rating on them. All the literature on the Chevron site says all Delo 400 are mixed fleet gas and diesel oils, and the pds from 2018 says SJ.
Should I use it in my gasoline JD 425 Kawasaki Vtwin or send it back. It was listed on Oriellys website as SJ rated, but it's not.
Hopefully the key take away here is that Diesel rated oil is great for OPE, and no "S" duel rating is required.

I'll contact Chevron and ask, but... I guarantee you what the response will be. They don't ever recommend using a "C" only rated oil in a gas engine, period.

Hopefully the key take away here is that Diesel rated oil is great for OPE, and no "S" duel rating is required.
The main reason HD oils are leaving the S ratings are their ZDDP quantities. Use it with no issues unless you have something with a catalytic convertor and you're burning a ton of oil.

Back