Delo 15w40 full synthetic, blurb on bottle

I just got a couple of gallons of this. After purchase I noticed it prominently claims "excellent oil consumption control" on the bottle, which by coincidence happens to be the reason I was looking for a 15w40. Just wondering what might be the reason they claim this, is it just the weight? There are a lot of 15w40 oils out there, could this one be better than usual for oil consumption?

DELO is a good product. I don't know what Chevron did in the formula to give it "excellent oil consumption control". We could assume low volatility base stocks and maybe something in the add pack that lowers volatility. Guesses, as what you read on the bottle is just marketing.

I'm a (happy) Delo user, but ya, most of the stuff on the bottle is marketeering wank to fill space. Good oil, but I don't think it has any super secret sauce above any other quality brand.

Rotella t6 15w-40 also advertises less oil consumption. I believe they are simply comparing to thinner oil. Seems silly IMO

I will tell you this: my old 2009 Ford Focus 2.0L, my present Scion XD 1.8L and my wife's 2009 Mazda CX-9 3.7L all consume much less 15W-40 than the specified ?w-20. MUCH LESS. My wife's Mazda would drink about a quart of 15W40 over 7500 to 10,000 MI. After I had the water pump replaced the shop put factory spec 5w-20 in it and it DRANK that stuff! It used about two and a half to three quarts over the next 7,500 MI!

Back