Defective Filter. Should I send it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short I lost my engine to a defective oil filter. The filter media and metal screen are crushed inside with no damage to the outside. This was not a fault of the engine as the metal screen is heavy gauge steel and there is no way it could be bent up by oil pressure. The company wants me to send the filter back for them to look at. I completely understand however once I hand it over I loose the upper hand. I would like to have an independent facility look at it. I am also considering contacting an attorney for advice. Not to sue but to simply point me in the right direction. I just want the damage paid for.

Anyone with advice please chime in. Thanks.

Take pics of everything,including the filter batch number,and maybe even take borescope pics inside the filter itself.

Bring up your concerns to the Filter company.
See what they say regarding how they will process the filter and what are the options versus an independent analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave33
Long story short I lost my engine to a defective oil filter.

I think this would be difficult, and expensive, to prove...

Well, I would personally seek the advice of a lawyer first. If they say have an independent company look at it and send the results then great. However, I am sure the best bet is to somehow document the bent structure of the media and so forth then send it to the company. That way you have proof of its condition.

This happened to a coworker of mine with a Champ Labs filter. He took pictures and used top level package tracking when he sent it to them but in his case there really was no need to be suspicious. They responded promptly, telling him his filter was defective and replaced his engine with not so much as a whit of trouble.

Now if it's a Purolator, their response to media issues thus far would not encourage me.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was the oil filter's fault? I do not mean to contradict you but I would like to know the steps you took to deduce the cause of the engine failure.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
This happened to a coworker of mine with a Champ Labs filter. He took pictures and used top level package tracking when he sent it to them but in his case there really was no need to be suspicious. They responded promptly, telling him his filter was defective and replaced his engine with not so much as a whit of trouble.

Now if it's a Purolator, their response to media issues thus far would not encourage me.

Sorry to say it is a Purolator.

Last edited:

Sorry to say it is a Purolator.

LOL
The Fram haters were salivating and ready to pounce...

Sorry guys.

Yes send it.don't drama.corp can read fact .send them a self addressed envelope and let them do their job .finding out what happened.it is vital you send it ,otherwise they ll never know machine 69stoppedvworking and aclot of unhappy costumer are about to vent😃

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

How did you come to the conclusion that it was the oil filter's fault? I do not mean to contradict you but I would like to know the steps you took to deduce the cause of the engine failure.

Let me start by saying I have wrenching on cars for many years including full engine rebuilds.
I Changed oil and filter on my '63 VW Beetle. Drove the car for a couple days and then the car started losing power. Being close, I drove it home. Checked and adjusted valves, checked carb and timing and found nothing. Started the engine and then noticed internal noise. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil and noticed metal particles. I drained the oil and it was full of bearing material. I pulled the filter and this is when I noticed the inside of the filter was collapsed and crushed. There are no dents, scratches, or any visible defects on the outside of the filter and there is no way 40 psi oil pressure would do the damage that is done to it. I do have pics but don't want to post anything until this is settled. I also took it to 2 machine shops and both had never seen anything like it and agreed had to have happened during the assembly process.

Take lots of photos and send that baby back in. Sometimes we have to remember that these oil filters are mass produced and that mistakes do happen in any mass manufacturing process. Then get ready for a case of free filters, which you could always pass on to your fellow BITOGers of course....
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

Let me start by saying I have wrenching on cars for many years including full engine rebuilds.
I Changed oil and filter on my '63 VW Beetle. Drove the car for a couple days and then the car started losing power. Being close, I drove it home. Checked and adjusted valves, checked carb and timing and found nothing. Started the engine and then noticed internal noise. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil and noticed metal particles. I drained the oil and it was full of bearing material. I pulled the filter and this is when I noticed the inside of the filter was collapsed and crushed. There are no dents, scratches, or any visible defects on the outside of the filter and there is no way 40 psi oil pressure would do the damage that is done to it. I do have pics but don't want to post anything until this is settled. I also took it to 2 machine shops and both had never seen anything like it and agreed had to have happened during the assembly process.

Thanks for the explanation. Keep us informed about how Purolator responds to your claim.

63 Beetle didn't have a oil filter, Just a screen.
Is this a aftermarket setup?

Originally Posted By: QuOk
63 Beetle didn't have a oil filter, Just a screen.
Is this a aftermarket setup?

This was what I was wondering after I saw it was a VW Beetle.
If it has an aftermarket oil filer setup (uh...the original had just a metal screen, didn't it?), I'd bet money that you will be out of luck. And it's my opinion that you would be out of luck with any oil filter brand that you have on there. But best of luck. Sometimes they will throw a bone to the customer as a good-will gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back