DEF as Fertilizer?

Diesel powered anything is eventually going to be pretty rare. The use of UREA to lower Nitrogen Oxides will also become a non issue. I agree there are better/cheaper products that will produce superior results than watered down DEF fluid.

Not for a long time.
Already happening and at a quickening pace. I see that the majority of large ocean going vessels are adopting alternative fuels to the tried and true bunker oils/diesel that have been a mainstay for a century+. I would venture to predict that diesel powered anything will be relegated to museum pieces within 50 years. Check back with me then and we will see who was correct.

Already happening and at a quickening pace. I see that the majority of large ocean going vessels are adopting alternative fuels to the tried and true bunker oils/diesel that have been a mainstay for a century+. I would venture to predict that diesel powered anything will be relegated to museum pieces within 50 years. Check back with me then and we will see who was correct.
I'll bet in 50 years the same two guys will be running for re-election.

Details matter. That's ammonium sulfate 21-0-0. Completely different. Cannot blow up Oklahoma City buildings with ammonium sulfate.

1718221345363.jpeg

"Employees of a farming supply company in McPherson, Kan., today identified two cash receipts for the fertilizer, bought under an alias allegedly used by Nichols. Robert Nattier, president of the Mid-Kansas Co-op, told a federal jury here that most customers purchase just a few bags of ammonium nitrate for lawns, but that "Mike Havens" purchased 80 50-pound bags in fall 1994."

Last edited:
I agree there are better/cheaper products that will produce superior results than watered down DEF fluid.
My understanding is it does cost a bit more than other options, but it’s not too crazy for a liquid fertilizer. Can granular be easily turned into a liquid? What about iron? I’d like to do both at once in liquid form.

I wouldn't bet on it. EV's, yeah.
Keep living in your alternate reality. Just because you may not like it doesn't make it any less true. Just look back 30 years and see where this country has changed in regards to power sources and vehicles. The thing about many technologies is that they aren't linear. Shaking your buggy whip and reading Louis L'Amour by whale oil lamp light doesn't stop the future from marching on. You can get on or get out of the way. Makes no difference to the inertia of change.

Keep living in your alternate reality. Just because you may not like it doesn't make it any less true.
It has nothing to do with what I, or anyone else, likes or doesn't like. It's based on practicality. Replacing Diesel with gas, or gas with 100% electric, is simply not practical at this point in time, with the current technology that is presently available. And if you think it is, then you're the one living in an, "alternate reality", not me.

In the very distant future, perhaps if something revolutionary comes along. But not with what's available today. And for certain not within the idiotic timetable these current politicians are pushing for.

That is nothing more than political posturing to win votes from people like yourself, who buy into all of this cart before the horse nonsense.

I will try to check in with you, but I will most likely be dead or in the same mindset as our leaders so it might not work out well. I think diesel will still be around in 50 years though. It will take a long time to replace all the trucks, trains, and ships and the infrastructure needed to support that. Do you think China, India, and developing nations will do this as well?

My understanding is it does cost a bit more than other options, but it’s not too crazy for a liquid fertilizer. Can granular be easily turned into a liquid? What about iron? I’d like to do both at once in liquid form.
I just put urea 46/0/0 in hot water with cheleted iron and let it sit overnight shake it up when you can. Next day around sunset spray your lawn with a hand pump sprayer. Water in the next morning. Don't spray the lawn in heat wave or if under stress.

Bunker oil in ships is nowhere close to diesel. It has to be heated just to liquefy it.

I will try to check in with you, but I will most likely be dead or in the same mindset as our leaders so it might not work out well. I think diesel will still be around in 50 years though. It will take a long time to replace all the trucks, trains, and ships and the infrastructure needed to support that. Do you think China, India, and developing nations will do this as well?
It will get cleaner depending on where they want to send cargo/ships … More and more areas demand LSF - and they will have to carry more which means tanks dedicated to lower quality fuel just lost capacity …
As I stated before - eventually it becomes the norm like automatic transmissions and power windows did in cars …
We could see more GTL based fuel etc …

It will get cleaner depending on where they want to send cargo/ships … More and more areas demand LSF - and they will have to carry more which means tanks dedicated to lower quality fuel just lost capacity …
As I stated before - eventually it becomes the norm like automatic transmissions and power windows did in cars …
We could see more GTL based fuel etc …
Not sayin gyour wrong, just that diesel will still be around and isn't going away completely.

This is interesting. The same government that forces we the people to use engine choking emission devices in our new Diesel engines that basically ruin them, deletes it from the Diesels they buy and drive with our money. Don't do as I do, do as I say.

I was at a truck stop on our way home from Washington yesterday. There were a couple trucks with lowboys and huge farm/industrial tractors without wheels parked beside the place. They were dark blue and I forget the brand. I wish I had the forethought of mind to take a picture. Nevertheless, these tractors had placards on them indicating they ran on compressed natural gas. Why would anyone buy a compressed natural gas tractor over diesel? Future is here it seems. I am NOT saying there won't be ANY use of diesel in the future. Just very little. Just like leaded gasoline, not much being used anymore in this country except for what, old planes?

Back