DEF accident in motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a thread that was posted concerning the result of DEF being put into a motor oil crankcase causing catastrophic engine failure. Does anyone have knowledge of this thread or knowledge of what happens chemically when DEF is put into motor oil? TheOilDoc

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I think the worst problem is just a lack of lubricity rather than a chemical reaction.

This: DEF is 67.5% water

I heard def is injected at the catalytic converter if that's the case it will not dilute oil

What happened was a new piece of heavy equipment (roller for new asphalt) was serviced and the oil changed, the DEF (diesel emmission fluid) was filled at the same time and the fills are side by side, oil and DEF. Within an hour of operation the engine started to overheat and knock. By the time the mechanic got back to the jobsite to look at it the engine seized. Once the oil pan was removed the oil had turned to a thick sludge. We suspect DEF was put in the crankcase by accident but don't know for sure. ALS is going to attempt some testing of the sludge but it's hard to pick out because DEF is 67% water and doesn't leave much chemical residue. The question is trying to find out of anyone else has any experience with this happening and what they experienced?? This is a brand new roller with only 300 hours on it. I read something previously on this site about this happening to someone else but can not find it.

There was another good one that showed what happened when windshield washer fluid was dumped in the crankcase

Originally Posted by AZjeff
He's looking for a thread where someone put DEF in the crankcase and blew the engine.

Wow how can that mistake be made? Sounds like there should be a class on diesel 101

This will be interesting

I know that as the water evaporates, without the high heat of exhaust gas the Def will crystallize, block oil filter and is abrasive. It is pretty reactive so I would expect it to react with the engine oil but I do not know how. The sludge should be sent to a lab, they can use solvents to liquefy it and test it as appropriate.

Beyond that I do not know. Interested in hearing lab results.

Rod

Last edited:
We have it happen a lot where people manage to put DEF in the fuel filler. If you catch it before starting the engine, you can drain everything and refill and you should be fine. As soon as you turn the key and the pump primes you are hosed. Ford has a special repair kit for this that is in the $4k range for such cases, and it is never covered under warranty.

Urea crystallizes and it's a particulate then - think of the water glass solution used to disable cars in the Cash for Clunkers program. The water is one thing but the urea will wipe out your bearings.

there have been several occurrences at trucking companies where the driver(s) have put DEF into the fuel tanks and took out all the injectors.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
there have been several occurrences at trucking companies where the driver(s) have put DEF into the fuel tanks and took out all the injectors.

The leasing company we use at work accused me of the opposite. I was driving a loaner truck while my truck was getting some work done. I think it was the 3rd day I had the loaner I got in and it wouldn't crank when I tried to start it. They ended up having it towed back to their shop and got me a different truck. I don't know what caused the no crank condition, but somehow they came to the conclusion that I had put Diesel fuel in the DEF tank. I told them this was impossible because:

1. I'm not that stupid.
2. It's physically impossible to put a Diesel nozzle in the DEF filler.
3. The DEF tank and fuel tank were on opposite sides of the truck.
4. I hadn't even touched the DEF tank because I hadn't driven it enough that it needed to be filled.

A few nasty emails went back and and forth between them and my boss, but eventually they gave up on it.

Last edited:
I'm seeing quite a few truck operators put a NO DEF sticker next to the diesel fill and NO DIESEL near the DEF fill. The cap itself is smaller and blue with a ISO-designated filler nozzle size but on smaller trucks those fillers are next to each other.

I wonder if that is why GM moved the DEF tank into the engine bay of the GMT900/K2XX diesels(and better contaminating the washer or DEF reservoirs if an accident was to happen), the Germans insisting on their Kruse filling system and the Japanese on Isuzu/Hino/Mitsubishi Fuso using a entirely self-contained DEF system that's mounted away from the truck's fuel tank?

I have had to deal with a number of cases where an end user put DEF into the fuel tank and yes it should not be possible but if people can screw up something up they will. Several times these repairs have topped $30k in fuel system repairs. Other times they have gotten away with just flushing and changing filters but one never knows how it will affect the life expectancy of the components.

Another is fuel in the DEF which happens but does not cause much damage as the contaminated DEF can just be drained and the system flushed with little to no affect on the system.

DEF in the oil is a new one to me but then our DEF fill locations are not near the oil fill or at least I have not seen that to be the case. ALS is pretty good. I have used them for a number of things and if you tell them what you are looking for they should be able to test for most compounds. I would assume that they be looking for excess nitrogen and hydrogen in an analysis or at least that is what I would be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back