Dear SOPUS: Benchmark Mobil 1 0W20 Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. Let's just "cut to the chase."I know this is going to cause some controversy. Like Richard Sherman, going though life without controversy can be a bit boring at times.

Everyone always hears "what women want." What do BITOGER's want? I, for one, want SOPUS, in particular, Pennzoil Ultra, to UP THE ANTE this time. The big elephant in the room is there is no Pennzoil Ultra 0W20 to buy. There is a Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, but that is not their flagship oil. When calling the Pennzoil hotline number and asking about it, I was told to "expect something in the spring". So with that in mind, I decided to list what specifications I wanted it to look like. I consider Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 to be among the best "OVER THE COUNTER" 5W20s we can buy today - better than Mobil 1 5W20. However as many of us BITOGERS will testify, Mobil 1 0W20 takes things to another level. Like the old racing saying,"competition breeds better products," lets hope SOPUS wants to unseat Mobil 1. Let's not get bogged down here. Here is what I want:

Mobil 1 0W20 lists on paper as cst@40C of 44.8, cst@100C of 8.7, VI of 175 (I believe), HTHS of 2.7, and TBN of 8.8.

I want to see a new Pennzoil Ultra 0W20 that (on paper) looks like:

1) cst@40C of 41, cst@100C of 8.0. So far, this matches Havoline 0W20 as one of the thinnest 0W20s at those
temperatures you can buy. I am guessing the HTHS is 2.6, since it is not listed.

2) Be able to meet Ford 20wt specifications, as Havoline 0W20 reports to do, and I guess the new Motorcraft 0W
20 does.

3) Retain the reportedly Pennzoil Gas to Liquid base oil formulation - which enables below 10 NOACK %. Pennzoil
Ultra 5W20 lists for an outstanding 5% NOACK.

4) Have a VI of 180 or more.

5) Make it readily available at most retail AutoParts Chains, and under $30 (5 qt jug) at WalMart in the USA.

6) Make it "stout enough" to withstand our Mustang GT engines and our high RPM Honda engines.

7) Finally, change the name to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which sounds like something special.

Full disclosure: I have some Mobil 1 0W20, Havoline 0W20, Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic and Toyota 0W20 in my stash. '04 Ford Focus (2.3L) and 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (100,000 miles).
Anyone else sign this petition? I know SOPUS management reads this forum.

Also:

8) I would like to go at least 10,000 miles on this new oil.

Thank you. We BITOGERS don't ask for much.

It needs to have a great add pack as well, lots of Moly and Boron please, Calcium too to keep things nice and clean.

I would love to see Ultra in 0w-20. will be using M1 Ow20 in my new Honda unless Pennzoil comes out with the Ultra to meet the Honda specs. I sure hope they surprise us in the Spring. being able the get oil at Walmart at current Ultra prices ( or run a promo ) would be nice .

The new offering from Sopus will likely by the new viscosity 0-16 or whatever API and ILSAC finalizes You will see 2016 cars specing this new vis. I have not seen the latest info, but you will be seeing major news on the new oils. Some will not be backward compatable.FWIW

Oldtommy

SOPUS markets two 0W-20s with very similar characteristics.
The M1 does have superior cold properties to either although this might have changed since the 2/13 release date of the two data sheets I found through the Shell EPC site given Shell's current use of GTL basestocks.
Other than that these three oils are very similar in either kinematic or HTHS viscosity as well as in VI.
The only point of superiority that the M1 shows is in cold performance and currently available formulations of either PP or QSUD may have beaten that.
The current Shell data sheets cannot reflect the use of GTL basestock. The NOACKs are too high for that to be the case.
Three oils at a similar price point exhibit similar numbers?
Who would have thought that?
The introduction of cheap GTL basestock may be a game-changer, though.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Ml 1 0W20 lists on paper as cst@40C of 44.8, cst@100C of 8.7, VI of 175 (I believe), HTHS of 2.7, and TBN of 8.8.

1) cst@40C of 41, cst@100C of 8.0. So far, this matches Havoline 0W20 as one of the thinnest 0W20s at those
temperatures you can buy. I am guessing the HTHS is 2.6, since it is not listed.

First M1 0W-20 has a KV40 of 45.8cSt and 173 VI. (the US PDS info is incorrect).

Havoline is no where near the "thinnest 0W-20" and the KV100 spec doesn't matter if you know the HTHSV and VI.
The thinnest 0W-20 is likely the Idemitsu made Mazda moly 0W-20 with it's 221 VI followed by Sustina 0W-20 (229 VI) , Toyota 0W-20 (216 VI) and SynGard 0W-20 (220 VI).

So the question to SOPUS is to make the PU 0W-20 with a 220 VI and the rest will take care of itself.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Best F100
Ml 1 0W20 lists on paper as cst@40C of 44.8, cst@100C of 8.7, VI of 175 (I believe), HTHS of 2.7, and TBN of 8.8.

First M1 0W-20 has a KV40 of 45.8cSt and 173 VI. (the US PDS info is incorrect).

Havoline is no where near the "thinnest 0W-20" and the KV100 spec doesn't matter if you know the HTHSV and VI.
The thinnest 0W-20 is likely the Idemitsu made Mazda moly 0W-20 with it's 221 VI followed by Sustina 0W-20 (229 VI) , Toyota 0W-20 (216 VI) and SynGard 0W-20 (220 VI).

So the question to SOPUS is to make the PU 0W-20 with a 220 VI and the rest will take care of itself.

Notice:

a) I did say, "over the counter" motor oil. i.e. One where you can go to a retail source, other than car a "Stealer" to purchase.

b) looking at ONLY the listed cst@ 40C and 100C listed specifications, Havoline Synthetic is among the lowest over the counter motor oil you can buy. I did NOT say the highest VI 20 wt oil you can buy.

I'm impressed that by simply getting the V.I. to 220, the oil will be complete and robust...maybe it's the Unicorn tears that provide anti-wear, detergency/dispercency, and eliminate the effects of volatility...

You're missing the point or you do not understand what I'm saying, HTHSV and VI tells you how thick the oil is at operating temp's. The KV100 spec' tells you more about the oil's relative chemistry.

If VI throws you, then specifying an oil with a KV40 in the 32cSt-37cSt range which is the case of the oils I mentioned , accomplishes much the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm impressed that by simply getting the V.I. to 220, the oil will be complete and robust...maybe it's the Unicorn tears that provide anti-wear, detergency/dispercency, and eliminate the effects of volatility...

LOL Why is it that haven't the major oil players haven't figured that out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back