Dealership wants to charge for a full brake service with brake rotor replacement under warranty

wants to charge an hour for a brake service
Sounds to me like they want to sell you a brake service. Just say no thank you if you don't want it?

If its something required for warranty - like bleeding the brakes - that should be covered. If they feel the calipers are damaging he rotors, then that is part of the diagnostic.

Unless the manual says its time for a brake service, then maybe there just offering it because its time - which of course they will profit but its also convenient for you.

Our '21 Kona EV has bad rear rotors. The pads aren't making contact and they've become grooved at 10k miles.

The dealer is replacing the rotors under warranty but wants to charge an hour for a brake service.
Just tell them you want replaced only whats under warranty. You might have to talk to the service manager or call Hyundai corporate. They can't make you pay for new pads, especially if they aren't worn out, and on an EV, they should go over 100,000 miles.

I'm an owner so I can :p It is a nice long warranty but there are huge holes in it.
exhaust rusted out 3x at the front clamp on the 2010 accent... wasnt covered because pipe wasnt covered.....

but that being said if you make it to year 7 and the engine or trans implodes ... nice that its still covered.
I'd rather pay for a couple hundred dollar pipe than a couple thousand dollar engine or transmission.;)

Thanks guys.

I may just have them swap the rotor and do the service myself. I'm sure it's not due until 24 months.....and even then, we're talking about lubing calipers. The rotor and caliper are already in their hands, it's essentially paying an hours labor for 2 minutes of work. Lol.

Thanks guys.

I may just have them swap the rotor and do the service myself. I'm sure it's not due until 24 months.....and even then, we're talking about lubing calipers. The rotor and caliper are already in their hands, it's essentially paying an hours labor for 2 minutes of work. Lol.

Might as well do it yourself and learn how to service them...sounds like you'll be doing it on a regular basis.

My parents had this happen on their 2013 and 2018 Escapes. The dealership did the entire rear brake jobs under warranty as long as it was under the 3/36 period.

I don't think the rotors are causing the issue you describe, unless they are made from soft material. That should be a known issue if that's the case.
In my opinion, the problem has more to do with the calipers or the emergency brake.
I'd find out what they were going to do if either of those two items are causing this. I'd think in any case a problem like this should be warrantied.

I know, they always get you with that "wear item" line, but this is way too soon. Especially if the fronts are normal.
This here... Based on my experience if the Service Manager is any good if they charge you for the initial brake takedown and you agree to it they should comp the labor for the pads once they find the real problem... Warrantying out the Rotors isn't going to fix this problem....

Have worked at Honda, Ford, Toyota, VW, Mazda, Kia and BMW as a tech. All manufacturers are a little different but the same. Ford is the one that’s very different. When a diagnostic takes place under warranty, the car is scanned for DTC’s if applicable. If it’s say a wheel bearing and the vehicle has not been tampered with meaning any suspension changes, level kit, lowering kit and the vehicle is inside of bumper to bumper warranty or time, once the determination has been made it’s for sure the wheel bearing, the technician then goes to parts, gets the price of the wheel bearing, bolts, and etc, looks up labor on all data then turns in the RO to the service advisor. You explain your findings and the advisor then has the build date and the purchase date of vehicle to make sure it’s inside of warranty. He gives the okay to replace the bearing and bolts. The old parts have to be saved, as ford can ask for that part back at any time. if one bolt is missing, ford will kick the warranty claim back and not cover it. Now if it’s say an engine that is messed up, ford wants the technician to find the failure meaning disassemble the engine until problem is found. At that point, the service manager is called out to look at the damages, if it is determined it is a manufacture defect or another part caused the failure and the vehicle is factory meaning not been tampered with, the service manager then makes a claim with ford over the phone, they discuss the issue and the ford rep says if it’s covered or not. Only big repairs have to be approved through ford, engines, trans, rear axle, front axle, etc. now where it gets sticky is if the vehicle has been tampered with, say a powerstoke. The first thing that is looked at is the PCM. The tech looks at all the data in the PCM to see if altercations have been made. Most people think if they plug a tuner in and reprogram the PCM and then put it back to stock the dealer can’t see that, we’ll we can. We can see past codes that have been cleared, all the changes the programmer did, how much boost and timing the engine was at when it failed, it shows all the parameters.

Now let’s discuss Nissan. Nissan has a lot more leeway. If say an engine comes in knocking, we the technician contracts tech support, we tell them the issue, if there are codes they get sent to the rep, in a screenshot on consult then they say replace engine. With Nissan we don’t have to find the point of failure. Nissan looks at that as a waste of time. With the transmission, the fluid is first inspected. If the fluid is not green for NS2 or blue for NS3 it’s a probable issue with warranty. If everything checks out, we contact tech support, and give them the rundown, if the transmission has code P17F0 or P17F1, one is to replace the valve body, one is for CVT replacement. The rep then tells the tech what to do based on the code. Then the transmission either gets replaced or the valve body gets replaced.

Last edited:
If it’s say a wheel bearing and the vehicle has not been tampered with meaning any suspension changes, level kit, lowering kit and the vehicle is inside of bumper to bumper warranty or time, once the determination has been made it’s for sure the wheel bearing, the technician then goes to parts, gets the price of the wheel bearing, bolts, and etc, looks up labor on all data then turns in the RO to the service advisor. You explain your findings and the advisor then has the build date and the purchase date of vehicle to make sure it’s inside of warranty. He gives the okay to replace the bearing and bolts.
Right, which is more or less what I was referring to. During the verification process, the Service Writer has to verify that the part is covered under warranty. Often times, this involves entering the part # of the part into a system that verifies warranty coverage.

Consumers don’t truly understand how warranty works, especially extended warranty until something happens and realize it’s not covered
We had extended warranties on the co. E-vans years ago-foolish people didn't read the fine print that commercial use wasn't covered! So the warranty worked perfectly-spent a bunch of $, got NOTHING covered!

We had extended warranties on the co. E-vans years ago-foolish people didn't read the fine print that commercial use wasn't covered! So the warranty worked perfectly-spent a bunch of $, got NOTHING covered!
Extended warranty doesn’t cover amenities, it only covers necessities. As well as commercial not covered.

Right, which is more or less what I was referring to. During the verification process, the Service Writer has to verify that the part is covered under warranty. Often times, this involves entering the part # of the part into a system that verifies warranty coverage.
No! There is no software that does that. All RO’s are done through ADP. It’s a phone call made. If the vehicle falls under the 3 years or 36,000 mile bumper to bumper small items don’t need verification to be replaced.

No! There is no software that does that. All RO’s are done through ADP. It’s a phone call made. If the vehicle falls under the 3 years or 36,000 mile bumper to bumper small items don’t need verification to be replaced.
I think we might be talking about the same thing in different ways.

Just an example - with Stellantis, the advisor verifies warranty coverage and terms for a part by VIN. Poster attached a screenshot here:

1667419347187.jpg

I have never seen that before. Only thing I have seen similar at ford is the vehicle build sheet that is given to us with the RO, which shows the calibration ID for the engine, etc for programming But I also have never worked for MOPAR.

Back