Dealership wants to charge for a full brake service with brake rotor replacement under warranty

Hi guys, mildly annoyed.

What are your thoughts on this....

Our '21 Kona EV has bad rear rotors. The pads aren't making contact and they've become grooved at 10k miles.

The dealer is replacing the rotors under warranty but wants to charge an hour for a brake service.

I can do the brake service myself........they mentioned they wanted to ensure the caliper was working.......I feel like that should be recon work because of the jacked up rotors?

Thanks for your thoughts on it

Reactions: JTK
I don't think the rotors are causing the issue you describe, unless they are made from soft material. That should be a known issue if that's the case.
In my opinion, the problem has more to do with the calipers or the emergency brake.
I'd find out what they were going to do if either of those two items are causing this. I'd think in any case a problem like this should be warrantied.

I know, they always get you with that "wear item" line, but this is way too soon. Especially if the fronts are normal.

I know, they always get you with that "wear item" line, but this is way too soon. Especially if the fronts are normal.
typically 1 year 12k mile warranty-- americas best warranty 🥴

Subaru 3yr/36k covers everything including all wear items wipers, brakes etc.

That is not to say that that the kia/hyundai org. owner 10/100k powertrain isnt handy for engine or transmission issues

Careful, now, people are going to complain we're Hyundai bashing (even when we're not).
I'm an owner so I can :p It is a nice long warranty but there are huge holes in it.
exhaust rusted out 3x at the front clamp on the 2010 accent... wasnt covered because pipe wasnt covered..... how exactly does that work.
battery warranty and electronics (radio etc) is 2years iirc.

but that being said if you make it to year 7 and the engine or trans implodes ... nice that its still covered.

Was reading the book on the 22 forester and saw all wear items are included in the 3yr/36k warranty..
I'd imagine I'll be there at 2yr 11month saying my wipers are streaking :LOL:

Sorry if this wasn't mentioned during the sale but the car is past its useful life.

I'd let the dealership go through it. If they find an issue with the calipers, they may be under warranty as a non-consumable.

Curious on the "in service" date on the car.
Given that most braking on the EV is regenerative, not surprised the rear brakes need a service of some kind.
See that all the time, low use, no heat in the brakes = brake service required.

Typical EV/Hybrid issues. Brakes, especially the rears, do not see enough real usage. As a result, when combined with your local weather conditions, causes terrible rust.

I am surprised that they're warrantying this at all. This is normal wear and tear.

exhaust rusted out 3x at the front clamp on the 2010 accent... wasnt covered because pipe wasnt covered..... how exactly does that work.
Isn't the federal emissions warranty required to be 7/70 or something like that? If the exhaust is leaking to atmosphere prior to the cat, that would imply there is an emissions warranty failure?

Shameful.

Hmm. I wondered that as well.

Although, I did drive for a while with Regen off, and wasn't easy on the brakes. It didn't help.

Regardless, I'll wait and see what they dig up.

They wanted to do front and rear service!! To the tune of $260 Canadian.

It's not even due until 24 months

They wanted to do front and rear service!! To the tune of $260 Canadian.

It's not even due until 24 months
Clearly, your operating conditions may dictate for it to be done more frequently if the brakes are seizing up due to rust/corrosion. EV's and Hybrids really don't get their brakes very hot, so they may not "self-clean" very well.

Isn't the federal emissions warranty required to be 7/70 or something like that? If the exhaust is leaking to atmosphere prior to the cat, that would imply there is an emissions warranty failure?

Shameful.
yes its terrible. Works like this
part numbers in system are listed as part of the emissions warranty or not.
so cat dies its covered.. but if your clamp rusts off, or flex pipe, etc those are not covered.. which as you pointed out is ABSURD.Clearly, your operating conditions may dictate for it to be done more frequently if the brakes are seizing up due to rust/corrosion. EV's and Hybrids really don't get their brakes very hot, so they may not "self-clean" very well.
Clearly, your operating conditions may dictate for it to be done more frequently if the brakes are seizing up due to rust/corrosion. EV's and Hybrids really don't get their brakes very hot, so they may not "self-clean" very well.
Just one of the "new" issues we will see in the salt belt with EVs and PHEVs

yes its terrible. Works like this
part numbers in system are listed as part of the emissions warranty or not.
so cat dies its covered.. but if your clamp rusts off, or flex pipe, etc those are not covered.. which as you pointed out is ABSURD.
That's how every OEM does it. They punch in the failed part # and the software tells the advisor if it is a covered part.

That's how every OEM does it. They punch in the failed part # and the software tells the advisor if it is a covered part.
right but on hyundai not much of the exhaust is covered except the cat.
so how can you have an emissions warranty where the emissions dont even make it to the cat but arent covered.
it was covered under the 5yr/60k warranty the first time.

Back