Dealership service "advisor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some guys who build the fastest race engines in Southern Indiana and they both believe youre not supposed to switch back and forth. And one believes you should always use the same brand all the time. These are guys who have been building 8-10 second drag cars their entire lives. one is 52 the other 47.

The point is she may know more about and engine than you and still believe you shouldn't switch back and forth. People are quick to judge. Any one person who claims to know every aspect of any job 100% is probably lying. Cut her some slack. Politely explain how that line of thinking has changed and is verifiable by the blenders themselves, enjoy a cup of coffee and wait for your car to be finished. There is no reason to be rude to anyone who is trying their best to do their job. Character goes a very long way in life. Proving that you know more than her will just make you look like a jerk.

Last edited:
I walk a thin line on this stuff, but have to say why couldn't the service advisor simply agree with the customers request without adding all of the rhetoric? It seems clear the "information" about conventional versus synthetic was to sway the customers decision. One would think if the service advisor was truly performing the role of a salesperson, the more expensive synthetic would have been the way to go. I agree with others though, the only way to ensure something is done right is to handle it yourself.

When I said so what let me rephrase. There are much much much more important things in this life to waste your time getting upset at. I'm sure there are a lot of techs out there that have the same opinion likely based on bad things they have seen that they (maybe wrongly) associated with changing between conventional and synthetic. Regardless my point is that its so minor it isn't worth getting so upset over.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
2011 Toyota RAV4. Just went in for my winter oil change. I like to change the oil myself, but it's too [censored] cold out, so I begrudgingly let the dealer do it as they had a special on synthetic 0W20. I noticed the service advisor typing away and saw that she had down for regular 5W20. So, I politely asked for the 0W20. She responded by telling me that I would now have to use 0W20 from now on because you can't switch back and forth between synthetic and mineral oil. I was pretty floored by the stupidity. My response was a rather sarcastic "Uh, yeah, you can." This got her back up a little bit and she then responded by saying that "well, you shouldn't". Really? Why? Is there a Toyota TSB to back up your bull[censored] statement? Every oil manufacturer states that synthetic and mineral oils can be used without issue and mixed if necessary. [censored], what about semi-synthetic oils?

I told her to put the 0W20 in and walked away in disgust. I'm already planning the wording of the email that I'm going to send to the dealership service manager and possibly Toyota Canada.

This is why I change my own oil. Do you have a garage to change the oil in? It's not January or Feb when it's Freezing in Ontario.

Regards, JC.

Ask her about all the recalls for unintended acceleration and the lawsuits that followed...bet she doesn't know a thing about it.

Don't forget the breaker bar the next time you do your own oil. That drain plug can be a [censored].

Personally I would have smiled and said that's fine, I plan on using it from here on out. I really have zero desire to one up the service/parts guy.

I use to have a built Honda civic. Depending on what parts I needed I would go to Honda or Acura, I would Go in and the convo would go something like. I need X Part for a integra GSR, What year? Doesn't matter, same part for every year. Sir what year is your car? Um... Just put 1999 integra GSR. Sir is that what car you have? No I have a civic. Sir Honda is down the street.... I HAVE a 1999 integra GSR, happy? After 2-3 times I sterted to just say I had a integra or whatever model I needed to say to get which ever part I needed.

Last new motorcycle I bought the service guy tried setting up my first appointment for service and said if I didn't do it my warranty would be void. I simply smiled and said oh really? Can you show me that in writing? And that was the end of it.

Last edited:
Invite her to join BITOG ..I love the way they make things up or really don't know anything most dealers are stealers but there are a select few that are really honest but they are far and few between.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Really? You expect a service writer to understand the basics of mechanics, body and alignment, accounting, legal, sales, importing/exporting, etc.? Do you expect the shuttle driver to know where you live or just know all of the streets within a 10 mile radius of the dealership? You're ridiculous. I bet you don't know ALL the aspects of your own job.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I DO expect a service writer at a dealership to be a professional and have at least an elementary knowledge of all facets of the business.

Actually yes. But it's a pedantic question. But what else is the internet good for other than splitting hairs.

If you get an ASE certification to be an "ASE certified Service Advisor" you need to take coursework in "basic" understanding of how a car works and pass those tests. The basic course series actually is pretty comprehensive.

But it's a bit of an argument based on the title. Most people are working in the role of a service advisor without the certification. To even get the certification you have to have a couple years of work experience doing it already as a requirement.

So I suppose it should be expected that not every person writing up the work orders to know the things.
Just like I don't expect the oil change monkey to have his ASE or equivilant certifications yet; but are supervised "apprentices" and doing their work credits towards getting it though.

But if they call themselves a "Service Advisor" then yes I'd expect them to have the proper knowledge.

I'd also expect at least 1 person on the shift running the show should be accredited have the Title and should know, and they are ultimately responsible for the mis-information (whether the bad info was on purpose or not).

It is like the hospital, and just like how RNs treat a bunch of patients, but the doctor with the MD license is ultimately responsible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sounds like time for a new dealership to me! How cold is "too cold" for an oil change? -20C.?
Too cold is below 70*f IMHO

I recently dealt with two service advisors.

One had never heard of a Ford Focus with a bad motor mount. The other barely let me finish saying "Focus cabin vibrations" before he told me to bring it in to have the passenger motor mount replaced.

Sadly.. I hope they put the 0w20 in instead of the 5w20, even though the work order specifies 0w20, who's to say she didn't walk over to the tech and tell him what to put in. the tech won't argue, they're getting paid one way or the other AND oil is going in the engine so they can't be liable for the motor not having enough oil in it.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If you get an ASE certification to be an "ASE certified Service Advisor" you need to take coursework in "basic" understanding of how a car works and pass those tests. The basic course series actually is pretty comprehensive.

I got my ASE certification in being a Service Advisor and I never broke the seal on my test booklet. Just looked to see how many questions and circled in random bubbles and got a passing grade. ASE is a complete joke since all the tests are multiple choice with absolutely no hands on testing.

I get sent so many calls at my work to answer questions because people tend to not want to learn new things, know that I will know the answer, and forward the call to me. I don't mind, but I am usually busy with other things and might keep that call on hold a little long while I am helping people that buy things.

I had the pleasure of dealing with several service writers while I was selling cars. Most were clueless, some had some minor automotive repair and diagnostic skills. The operative word is minor in the prior sentence. The bottom line is they had a fairly good knowledge of how to B_S a customer and look a person straight in the eye and lie to them. It seemed those two traits were what the dealerships I worked for looked for when hiring a service writer or sales manager. The parts guys were OK.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Invite her to join BITOG ..I love the way they make things up or really don't know anything most dealers are stealers but there are a select few that are really honest but they are far and few between.

I couldn't tell if that part was in reference to BITOG or dealerships. Then I realized you were correct either way.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Should have told her that she's right and its only had synthetic since new and thats why you want the 0w20

Unless the customer is asking for something off the wall that will cause damage to the vehicle the service writer should give what the customer is requesting & paying for. No need to lie.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
2011 Toyota RAV4. Just went in for my winter oil change. I like to change the oil myself, but it's too [censored] cold out, so I begrudgingly let the dealer do it as they had a special on synthetic 0W20. I noticed the service advisor typing away and saw that she had down for regular 5W20. So, I politely asked for the 0W20. She responded by telling me that I would now have to use 0W20 from now on because you can't switch back and forth between synthetic and mineral oil. I was pretty floored by the stupidity. My response was a rather sarcastic "Uh, yeah, you can." This got her back up a little bit and she then responded by saying that "well, you shouldn't". Really? Why? Is there a Toyota TSB to back up your [censored] statement? Every oil manufacturer states that synthetic and mineral oils can be used without issue and mixed if necessary. [censored], what about semi-synthetic oils?

I told her to put the 0W20 in and walked away in disgust. I'm already planning the wording of the email that I'm going to send to the dealership service manager and possibly Toyota Canada.

I don't find the service adviser telling you that you can't switch back after using synthetic disturbing....that is told to many customers on a daily basis at dealerships, quickie lube shops, mechanics, etc. The prey on the ignorant and that day you were not one of them so be happy that you shot down their B.S. tactics. They prefer to have customers running conventional to have them coming in sooner and push many useless services on them and sadly it works quite well. What I do find disturbing with your post is that you requested 0w20 and she went on writing the work order for 5w20 conventional.....to me that says one of two things the dealership pushes hard for conventional to have you back sooner for more servicing or that they think you couldn't afford the oil changes. I would be a little more ticked off with the service manager than the service writer who is probably just following orders.

Last edited:
So how's that strongly-worded (Or should that read, profanity-laden?) letter to the service manager and/or Toyota Canada going?

I think everyone will feel better if we simply call them what they are: clerks.

Just like there are a few clerks out there who are very good at their jobs, the vast majority would rather be watching TV and can be swapped out between the dealership and the Kwik-e-Mart with no change in performance.

Tacking on a title of Service Adviser does not magically give them skills nor talent.

I have one chap that is very good: he's been at the dealership for years and is the *only* SA for Porsche at a P/Audi/VW dealership: so he really does see everything and is a professional at what he does: he deserves a title.

Transition to the local Nissan dealership where there are several folks who have been there for years and I find myself constantly repeating myself, am told that 'they can't look up TSBs, only the techs can', and they usually do not write up my bring-your-own-oil services correctly at all, even when they can look up all the past services and clone the record.

On my last one, I got the car back with my 5/30 Ultra jug unopened in the passenger seat. So in this case the tech can't read either. And folks wonder why us OCD types don't like other people changing our oil unless we know them
laugh.gif

- b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back