Dealers/shops always overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I was always amazed how they got it right on the full line when they showed you, but now I assume they must have a technique to drop the stick to the right spot.

The technique is called "keep pulling the dipstick out and wiping it as the oil makes its way from the top of the engine, to the oil pan".

It's a very scientific process.

wink.gif

This. Exactly.

Originally Posted By: thooks
How much is 1 CM?

Abut 3/8's of and inch. Not quite 1/2 inch.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
I think the OP is referring to the distance on the dipstick from Full line and measured Oil line.

Exactly. Dealership overfilled mine 1/2 inch past the full mark/line. But it is a Hyundai. If it has engine problems down the road they will just give me a different length dipstick to increase capacity.
grin.gif

ehh. the manual says my sable take 5.5qts.
Mom takes her identical taurus to the dealer, they bill her for 6 qts.

so now i just put 6 qts in the sable.

so far so good I guess??

I would not get upset over overfilled oil. I would only be upset over underfilled oil. If overfilled oil killed engines almost every car on the highway would be broken down.

I never had an issue with either my BMW or Mazda dealer; the oil level is always exactly at the full mark.

No, not "always." On my two "free" oil changes from the dealer, they apparently put in close to the specified amount. I can tell because when I poured in the specified amount during subsequent changes, the level on the dipstick was the same---about 90% of the way up from the low mark to the full mark.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My dealership changed my factory fill. It was to the top of the plastic part of the dipstick. Service manager said their oil gun may need to be recalibrated. Engine calls for 4.23 quarts. When I do it 4 quarts is perfect. Right like it came from the factory.

I am thinking they just follow some book that lists the proper amount, not what is necessarily needed. The other thing is they may be removing plug and installing it before all the oil comes out. At home I take my time until no more drips observed.

MONKEYMAN you are absolutely correct. That's why I do my own oil, I let it drip all day or over night, just to get as much as possible. I have an oil cooler, so a bit still remains. If I were rich and young, I would buy a flush machine, with positive displacement. I keep vehicles a very long time.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is it really overfilling on their part or not completely draining the old oil? There are plenty of stories of lube techs who put the drain plug back when the oil is still trickling or small streaming to speed up the service.

Ford EcoBoost engines need a long time to drain completely. My 2.3 EB takes at least 20 minutes to drain pretty much back into the pan. It helps if the dip stick is pulled out and the oil fill cap is removed to speed up the drain back. Of course then you have to drain the pan then and that takes a good 10 minutes on top of the 20 minutes. Realistically no oil change place is going to or can afford to take the time to do it properly unless it's an expensive make and you're paying accordingly, ie Mercedes. That's why I do it myself. Besides there is nothing like hot oil running down your arm to rejuvenate the skin
grin.gif

Whimsey

FWIW I put a quart of transmission fluid in my truck after I changed the fluid and it was on the add mark. Now it looks way overfilled, but better a little over than under with a tranny IMO.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW I put a quart of transmission fluid in my truck after I changed the fluid and it was on the add mark. Now it looks way overfilled, but better a little over than under with a tranny IMO.

I thought transmissions were pretty intolerant of level being off? Newer ones anyhow, your 4L60 might not care so much.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Doesn't ATF expand when hot (200+ F degrees) ?

They probably have an automated filler that measures in ltr and they round it off to the next 1/2 ltr. Its been a long time since I have used one but that was the case back then also. That's all I can think of.

Last edited:
I always keep mine in the cross hatch area. It’s best to anticipate the fluid level rising when fluid heats up.

I overfilled once and it shifted noticeably harsher and took longer to engage gears. Each one is different however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back