Toyota specialty shop or dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done ATF drain/fills and complete exchanges on multiple vehicles including a total ATF exchange on my Toyota Tacoma 4.0L twice. No need to use a scan tool or measure what came out. I replace the fluid as it's coming out and put my hand on the pan to check the temperature when topping off. No need to be exact. The hand check method gets you in the range just fine. My truck runs like brand new, maybe even better.

Originally Posted by Dan55
I am still under warranty and don't want to change my shift characteristic's. Besides I don't feel like spending for Amsoil .

Why makes you think Amsoil will change your shift characteristics?

FWIW I changed the fluid and filter on my 2010 Mustang GT 5 speed auto and a little over 4 quarts came out but it took 5 quarts to fill it up as per procedure so I would not trust the method of putting in what you take out.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Easy - drain it hot and let it cool. Heck, get it hot and let it drain for an hour, 2 hours, etc. You'll get an add'l 2.7 ounces out by waiting hours and it will also cool down in the process. Then you measure that amount. My experience: It doesn't expand enough to matter. I tried this twice with two different cars. On one car, I use a scan tool and got the ATF up to 190º F while driving it, drove home and up on the ramps. Within 15 minutes I had it drained and transferred to a bottle with measurement markings. I let it cool for 90+ minutes. It decreased in temperature to between 75-80º F and guess how much it decreased in volume ? None.
Good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted by Dan55
I am still under warranty and don't want to change my shift characteristic's. Besides I don't feel like spending for Amsoil .

Toyota WS is fine. It's a poo-poohed fluid here but it can be had at a decent price and for 95% of drivers out there it works fine.

You can switch over to Amsoil, MaxLife, et al after your warranty is up - as much as I advocate OEM fluids, the major add pack suppliers seem to have done their homework for the more common applications(Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai).

Originally Posted by diyjake

I heard guys say drain when it's hot to get the most fluid to come out but the cold option does make sense if working without a scanner.

Doesn't mean you can't do both.

Drain it while it's hot and let the fluid cool before you measure it.

I don't think it really matters if you drain it hot or cold.

I do think it matters if you measure hot or cold. Measure cold.

This method of put in the amount of fluid that came out only works if you are the original owner of the vehicle and know all of the repairs that were done otherwise it's a risk that isn't worth taking.

When you buy a used vehicle you don't always know the true history of the vehicle. What if someone replaced the radiator and didn't add tranny fluid as needed or something along these lines.

a
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I have an 2011 sienna same power train though. I just drained and filled it on my own, without the scanner. Let the van sit so fluid wasn't hot, drained it and filled what came out. I didn't have issues before and I don't have issues after. Just make sure you aren't draining hot/cold fluid and measuring it since the new fluid isn't hot/cold.

The drain has an insert in it so after the plug is removed, a plastic insert still needs to be removed to drain. The fill is on the wheel well side of the case and was easy to fill with a funnel.

about how much came out with just draining with straw removed?

Originally Posted by bionictony
a
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I have an 2011 sienna same power train though. I just drained and filled it on my own, without the scanner. Let the van sit so fluid wasn't hot, drained it and filled what came out. I didn't have issues before and I don't have issues after. Just make sure you aren't draining hot/cold fluid and measuring it since the new fluid isn't hot/cold.

The drain has an insert in it so after the plug is removed, a plastic insert still needs to be removed to drain. The fill is on the wheel well side of the case and was easy to fill with a funnel.

about how much came out with just draining with straw removed?

Not much at all. I assume because it's such a shallow pan. I think it was around 1.75 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back