Dealerhip totals owner's Camaro ZL1, won't replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

That's because we are car guys. This story is everywhere. The dealership would lose less money if they bought him a brand new car. Whether they get insurance reimbursement or not.

I'll flip this around on you and say the dealership is getting emotional. Dumb.

If they went over and above to take care of him people would flock there as an honest car dealer is very hard to find.

You can flip it anyway you want, it still just an insurance claim that somebody wanted to spin the internet and media in their favor.

It's got more drama than a teenage high school girl with boy problems.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That's because we are car guys. This story is everywhere. The dealership would lose less money if they bought him a brand new car. Whether they get insurance reimbursement or not.

I'll flip this around on you and say the dealership is getting emotional. Dumb.

If they went over and above to take care of him people would flock there as an honest car dealer is very hard to find.

You can flip it anyway you want, it still just an insurance claim that somebody wanted to spin the internet and media in their favor.

It's got more drama than a teenage high school girl with boy problems.

I don't see the "spin". This story is spreading like wildfire because almost everyone has been screwed at some point in their lives by a car dealer. The car makers need to go direct.

Not sure how the dealer is screwing him. Even if the dealership is responsible, it is simply for the financial reimbursement of the value of his car. Not more, not less. I wouldn't think this crowd would want an emotional pain and suffering payment too. Why should they have to do more? Finding an identical car is impossible no matter what car it is. When our Grand Caravan burned in a fire, I didn't expect I would find an exact replacement, I took the money and replaced it with something different.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
When our Grand Caravan burned in a fire,
ref

I guess it's the kind of thing a mini van guy has a hard time understanding. The guys on real car forums are very jacked over this.

And it was gross negligence. It's beyond me why anyone would take the dealer side on this.

This story is spreading like wildfire because almost everyone has been screwed at some point in their lives by a car dealer.

Bingo!

When an example of the innocent or 'little-guy' getting abused by the bully / 'big-guy' / system / corporation is made public, many people immediately see the injustice and resonate with the story.

We want to know the outcome so we can avoid the 'bad' experience, or maybe even to help fix the system that allows the abuse.

Last edited:
When our Grand Caravan burned in a fire, I didn't expect I would find an exact replacement, I took the money and replaced it with something different.

I guess it's the kind of thing a mini van guy has a hard time understanding.

Unless this minivan was 'your baby' that you took excellent care of in anticipation of enjoying it for decades.

Last edited:
There's compensatory damages and punitive damages...the owner may want the latter from the dealer that clearly is responsible for such negligence, but may only get the former, something, monetarily, more easily calculated....

But a typical car owner wants to punish someone for that person's actions, and for the "pain" suffered by having to sit in a car chosen by THAT person EVERY DAY for the next "X" number of years...that's adding insult to injury...

I don't know if a court would pay for such "insults"...but I'd take it to court and make that claim that I have to sit in THAT car every day and be reminded of how I WAS ABUSED...I would make the case that I should be monetarily compensated for MY replacing the car, NOT for cost of THEM giving me a car...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
When our Grand Caravan burned in a fire, I didn't expect I would find an exact replacement, I took the money and replaced it with something different.

I guess it's the kind of thing a mini van guy has a hard time understanding.

Unless this minivan was 'your baby' that you took excellent care of in anticipation of enjoying it for decades.

And have to figure in the minivan would a heck of alot easier to replace! More produced and less $$$.

Well of course it is easier, but does that make it an obligation to the dealership or insurance? The corn maze had a 15 year old boy who noticed fire coming from under a car that was moving and tried to beat it out with a shovel till it got too big. Burned 30 cars at once. Is that gross negligence? Should I have been awarded more than the value of the car cause of the hassle? Is the fact that I drove (and still frequently do) a minivan make me less worthy of exact compensation? The whole argument is ridiculous and based on emotions- something that is rather hard to involve in courts.

ref

It looks like they came to an agreement.

Although, I'm still amazed that it came to this. Any good business manager would have called Mr. Hooper on the day his car was wrecked to accept responsibility and tell him how they were going to make right.

All they seem to do is blame everyone else. Even now, it's not their poor business decisions that have hurt their reputation, it's obviously the media's fault for reporting on it.

"The media is a monster," First State sales manager Bill Hansen said tersely on Wednesday. "Google our name and see what damage that's been done."

Just as important is the past history of the employee that stole that vehicle from the store. I would love to know what his past history was, I would bet on it that he had previous issues at other jobs if not the recent $tealership as well.

If First State had issues with this employee previous to this latest incident he should have been fired. Failure of the business to take measures to protect their customers makes them just as liable for the destroyed car.

No surprise though from $tealerships, there is a reason why they have some of the worst reputations among all consumers.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Although, I'm still amazed that it came to this. Any good business manager would have called Mr. Hooper on the day his car was wrecked to accept responsibility and tell him how they were going to make right.

I would not think it's unacceptable to call the customer the very very-next business day in the morning. John received a call at 9am on Monday and I would consider that a prompt response.

"The dealership informed my wife and I on Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. of our loss."

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
All they seem to do is blame everyone else. Even now, it's not their poor business decisions that have hurt their reputation, it's obviously the media's fault for reporting on it.

This does sound like what's happened. No doubt they have received significant attention from this story but their response to the customer and to the events following do not read well.

Last edited:
I think he got a fair settlement. He was wronged and got a new car from it. I wouldn't want to go thru that just to get one year newer car when the one he has was already like new.

Crazy story, crazy thread. Lotta angles... head hurts...
Just for fun, what if car was totaled at dealer by vandals, hailstorm, reckless driver at dealer. would outcome be different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back