Dealer Servicing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Service coming up, I have an oil change, air filter change, and brake fluid change. All things I can easily do by myself.

Is there something else the dealer magically adds other than a check over? I can get a check over done when i get an alignment & new tyres a bit later.

Does the dealer tune the engine through OBD-II? Some magic monkey stuff? I'd prefer doing it myself...

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Does the dealer tune the engine through OBD-II?

Usually, no.

All they do is hook it up to the computer to check for any fault codes stored in the ECU. If your "check engine" light is not on, then whatever codes may be there are likely benign or no codes at all.

If you ain't paying for it, the dealer won't be doing you any special favors.

DIY however will allow YOU to do some "special magic monkey stuff" like performing the services better (then a quickie oil change, for example) and use higher quality stuff.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
In the USA they will use the opportunity to try to sell you something you dont need like a "Fuel System Cleaning".

Oh they do that here too... $80 for dumping in a $7 injector cleaner bottle.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
In the USA they will use the opportunity to try to sell you something you dont need like a "Fuel System Cleaning".

Oh they do that here too... $80 for dumping in a $7 injector cleaner bottle.

I heard it cleans wallets well.

^^ yes it does clean wallets very well!

I'll add in that it seems there is some "mystique" to the dealer when it comes to special things. But honestly, I've been lucky to hang out in the garage and see how "Special" things are. They usually just want to hurry the job up to get the next one in so they can add onto their paycheck! You will do a much better job on your own since it's your car, more of a vested interest. I know that when I have finished work on mine I realize that the dealer would never get that exacting, and that's what gives me satisfaction, that it's done correctly and thoroughly.

hope that helps!

Quote:
Next Service coming up, I have an oil change, air filter change, and brake fluid change.

Really, a Brake Fluid change? That's a new load of phewy line if I've ever heard one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Next Service coming up, I have an oil change, air filter change, and brake fluid change.

Really, a Brake Fluid change? That's a new load of phewy line if I've ever heard one.

this has been debated on BITOG.

Amen to that
Originally Posted By: researcher
^^ yes it does clean wallets very well!

I'll add in that it seems there is some "mystique" to the dealer when it comes to special things. But honestly, I've been lucky to hang out in the garage and see how "Special" things are. They usually just want to hurry the job up to get the next one in so they can add onto their paycheck! You will do a much better job on your own since it's your car, more of a vested interest. I know that when I have finished work on mine I realize that the dealer would never get that exacting, and that's what gives me satisfaction, that it's done correctly and thoroughly.

hope that helps!

Basic maintenance is better done by a competent DIY'er. The dealer does have trained professionals, but quality varies from shop to shop. Like mentioned above, you should take your vehicle in for recall and warranty work.

FYI: For example Toyota issues a TSB for code P0356, where the ecu is re-calibrated, on some of their belt driven V6's. Not something that the average DIY'er would be aware of.

Quote:

Specified by Toyota Australia, every 24 months, 20,000 miles.

I typically wouldn't recommend it unless your getting your brakes changed or have recently had them changed. The only other time i would is it's obviously black, that's usually a sign of contamination or just plain being burnt.

Originally Posted By: Knox
I typically wouldn't recommend it unless your getting your brakes changed or have recently had them changed. The only other time i would is it's obviously black, that's usually a sign of contamination or just plain being burnt.

Not necessarily , my brake fluid is still relatively clean but I know I have over 100 ppm copper in it and I know its needs an exchange soon. Brake fluid , like any other fluids in your vehicle , should be changed regularly. You just dont have to do it that often. Acura recommends every 36 mnths for my car. By the time you "see" a spent/used brake fluid, the damage is already done. Are you going to be the one who pays for the replacement of their brake lines/cylinder/brake hoses ???
Its one thing to buy quality synthetic and stretch it over a 10k OCI , its completely different to slack off on Manuf recommended svc intervals for something as important as Brake Fluid.

This is the rule for dealers I live by. The less they touch my vehicles the better off I am.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i only take my cars to the stealer for warranty work i know how most of them work and its scary!

Agree. If you can find a dealer that has mechanics that take an ownership of their work, then you have found a good place. By ownership, I mean that the mechanic treats your car like it was his own.

I have picked up my cars over the years with parts that were mis-installed, dirty seats and steering wheel, dirty carpets. One time I picked up my car where they had to pull the steering wheel to get behind the dash easier, and when I drove my car away the steering wheel was 10 degrees off from being centered. I drove it back and complained and the manager had the nerve to say that he would fix it next time I brought it in for an oil change. I made him fix it right then. It was still off by a couple degrees. Dealers don't care.

Specified by Toyota Australia, every 24 months, 20,000 miles.

Wow, I would have never believed if you had not said it. I sure hope you are not getting that from your Australian Toyota dealer rather than from your owner's manual.

I just went through the maintenance book for 2012 Camry. There is NO mention of brake fluid replacement for *any* service. All it says "Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs" even at 105K miles service. I will be shocked if Australian version would be much different than the US one.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Camry/pdf/2012_Toyota_Camry_WMG.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back