Dealer service said synthetic oil will cause my 2003 Subaru to leak.

I’m guessing this is a loss leader to get people in the door and try to upsell them on more expensive repairs. I totally know this game and have experienced it. I just thank them for letting me know about all the “repairs” that are needed and that I will make an appointment the next week and then I don’t do it.

For $29.99 why not?
LOL! You mean "WHY?"
As in why would you ever be ok ONLY paying $30 for an oil change. Sorry, I care about my vehicles a bit toooooo much for that.

I think there's a particular way you have to phrase this situation in order for it to be accurately stated. Synthetic won't cause it to leak, but it can make leaks worse, in my experience. My '78 Monza had a wet pan when I bought it, but it didn't start dripping on the driveway until I put Castrol Syntec in it. The explanation from the technicians at the Pontiac dealership I was working at was that synthetics have a tendency to clear away sludge from around gaskets, allowing more oil to pass by them. It's sped up a process that was inevitable on an Iron Duke.

I think there's a particular way you have to phrase this situation in order for it to be accurately stated. Synthetic won't cause it to leak, but it can make leaks worse, in my experience. My '78 Monza had a wet pan when I bought it, but it didn't start dripping on the driveway until I put Castrol Syntec in it. The explanation from the technicians at the Pontiac dealership I was working at was that synthetics have a tendency to clear away sludge from around gaskets, allowing more oil to pass by them. It's sped up a process that was inevitable on an Iron Duke.

I just wanted to ask with this 78 Monza you had, was the PCV and all of the hoses clear of junk?

A 2003 Subaru is new enough where it shouldn't matter if synthetic oils are used and it should leak the same as regular oil.
Exactly. I heard about seals and mineral spirits lacking but past the mid 90s don’t worry.

On my 1970 LeMans I used lead additive because of the valve seats. That was 34 years ago. I bet there’s no lead additive today for old cars. Could be wrong

Go figure

The Subaru dealership near me is running a deal for a full synthetic oil change for $29.99. When I called to make an appointment for my low mileage (46k) 2003 Legacy, the advisor told me that because of its age, they would only recommend conventional oil because synthetic would cause the seals and gaskets to leak. Is that valid advice? The car has never had synthetic oil. It’s either only had conventional and maybe synthetic blend. The car belonged to my Dad and he had all the oil changes at the dealership.
M1 EP HM, try not to worry

If one watches the YouTubes about them, we see it’s no different than in an office. They control dollars that techs earn, knowing little to if anything about cars.
I know the games the dealerships play. I worked as a shag boy for a couple of dealerships in highschool.

So one thing the service writer at this Subaru dealership told me is that synthetic blend is a scam. When I told me that he wouldn’t recommend the full synthetic for my 03 Legacy and that I should only use conventional, I asked him, “What about synth blend?” He said they don’t use it because synth blend is basically a scam.

So one thing the service writer at this Subaru dealership told me is that synthetic blend is a scam. When I told me that he wouldn’t recommend the full synthetic for my 03 Legacy and that I should only use conventional, I asked him, “What about synth blend?” He said they don’t use it because synth blend is basically a scam.
He has interesting but uninformed opinions.

Internet used to say or still saying:
  • Synthetic is more slippery and flows better in tight places.
  • The molecule sizes are more uniform or smaller and creep or flow better in tight places.
And there was some evidence of synthetic oil leak when aliens landed and were idling their engines. :alien:

I assume high speed travel require a very thick oil but the viscosity and the UOA of the leak are kept secret. As tax payers, we need to know these kind of information!

Hydrocracked Group III base stocks are synthesized all day long. You assemble the base from intermediates, not just purify the existing molecules.

It’s the classic definition whether you think so or not.
I undertand your argument. My issue may be the moving definition and reference.

Selected excerpt from A Defining Moment For Synthetics, by Katherine Bui, Lubricants World, 1999

" ... action taken by the SAE to delete any reference to "synthetic" in its description of basestocks in section J354 and API's consequent removal of any mention of "synthetic" in API1509 were decisions by the industry not to restrict use of the term "synthetic" ..."

Professor J.M. Perez, a lubrication and technology expert from Pennsylvania State University, who told the NAD that true synthetics require "the formation of chemical products from simple well-defined molecules by synthesis or chemical reaction." Perez cited isomerization, reforming, hydrotreating, and hydrocracking as some of the many chemical and physical processing steps applied to petroleum to produce a variety of useful products, but said that they do not produce synthetic products. He argued that hydroisomerization does not create synthetic material because it does not create or build molecules, but merely rearranges the same molecules that were present in the original petroleum fraction.

Professor O.L. Chapman, an expert in synthetic chemistry from the University of California, also testified that synthetic materials are constructed from pure compounds that are themselves not natural and that the resulting synthetic material has well-defined properties. PAO and ester, he said, are built from pure small molecules that have already been subject to a chemical reaction, and are not built from natural petroleum.
Mobil also asserted that the definition of synthetic propounded by Castrol is contrary to the definition used by other motor oil manufacturers and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Under the EPA's 40CFR435.11(x), "the term 'synthetic' material. . . means material produced by the reaction of a specific purified chemical feedstock, as opposed to the traditional base fluids such as diesel and mineral oil, which are derived from crude oil solely through physical separation processes."

Exxon, on its Web site, stated that a synthetic lubricant is a "... lubricating fluid made by chemically reacting materials of a specific chemical composition to produce a compound with planned and predictable properties ... ." Similarly, Mobil contended Chevron, Lubrizol, Mobil, Valvoline, and Quaker State all disseminated definitions of synthetic that did not include hydroisomerized oil.

Last edited:
Regular oil is "semi synthetic" now anyway, as far as what I've seen on bottles. Schedule online and avoid talking to the person, if it's possible. Just put a note you have the coupon or whatever when you schedule online. That's what I often do when their online scheduling is working...

Back