Dealer says it's time for new brakes

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt had her "BRAKE" light on on the dash for the second time in a month on her 2016 Toyota Avalon, 67k miles. It displayed a message on the dash each time saying something to the effect to stop the vehicle and contact the dealer. The first time she had it towed there. They said there wasn't anything wrong.

Last week it did it again and the light stayed on for about 80 miles then went off while driving to the dealership. This time they said the brake fluid might be a little low and they recommended a flush. She did the flush since the car is 4-1/2 years old.

Anyways, they said her front brake pads are at 4mm and they recommended she had them replaced and the rotors turned. She declined for the moment and asked how long she can go, they said 1-2 months. They also offered a $30 discount since "they already had the calipers off for the brake flush". Who the heck removes the wheels, let alone the calipers for a brake flush!?

Today I rotated the tires and pulled off a caliper and measured the pads at 8mm.

Does anybody know how many mm they are when new? Sounds like a scammy dealer to me. I'm not gonna worry about the brakes until at least 100k miles.

6CD47075-2851-4020-B571-AC449C8AB3A8.jpeg

Those pads look at least 3/4 there still.

But that brings up the question...why was the brake fluid low?? If that was really what caused the brake warning light to come on, that is. Are the rears in good shape too? The brake warning light does come on for low brake fluid, but it shouldn’t have been low if the pads are in that good of shape.

I wouldn’t expect a newer Toyota to have any external leak or real hydraulic problem yet, it that is just odd at the same time.

My aunt had her "BRAKE" light on on the dash for the second time in a month on her 2016 Toyota Avalon, 67k miles. It displayed a message on the dash each time saying something to the effect to stop the vehicle and contact the dealer. The first time she had it towed there. They said there wasn't anything wrong.

Last week it did it again and the light stayed on for about 80 miles then went off while driving to the dealership. This time they said the brake fluid might be a little low and they recommended a flush. She did the flush since the car is 4-1/2 years old.

Anyways, they said her front brake pads are at 4mm and they recommended she had them replaced and the rotors turned. She declined for the moment and asked how long she can go, they said 1-2 months. They also offered a $30 discount since "they already had the calipers off for the brake flush". Who the heck removes the wheels, let alone the calipers for a brake flush!?

Today I rotated the tires and pulled off a caliper and measured the pads at 8mm.

Does anybody know how many mm they are when new? Sounds like a scammy dealer to me. I'm not gonna worry about the brakes until at least 100k miles.

The dealer tech was incompetent. If it set the light it set a code and that will tell more about what to look at. However, tell her that just seeing a light is not a reason for a tow, just to drive carefully, and first stop at a gas station and check the brake fluid level.

Next, brake fluid a little low means it was lost somehow, this in NO WAY suggests that it needs a flush, not at all that is ludicrous, instead the point of loss/leakage needs to be found, that repaired, and THEN, it may be time to flush out the fluid including contaminants introduced while doing the repair or at the very least, there may be some air that needs bled out

As other mentioned the pads look fine, and the rotors only need turned if there are significant grooves but with the pads in the shape they are in, even if there are grooves starting, it can wait till the next brake service, it is not the cause of the brake light illuminating, nor a problem unless she drives very aggressively.

1-2 months is nonsense on how long it can go unless she's a driving salesperson heavy on the brakes.

Yes this is a scam but for one thing, something caused the brake warning light to come on, so from what you have supplied as evidence, they are doing everything EXCEPT addressing the cause of the brake warning light. It's absurd. If she were a cat with nine lives then I'd advise to crash into the nearest wall then sue the crap out of them. lol More likely is they know what is wrong and it's a cheap repair but they want to try to bill for a higher cost repair.

But that brings up the question...why was the brake fluid low?? If that was really what caused the brake warning light to come on, that is. Are the rears in good shape too? The brake warning light does come on for low brake fluid, but it shouldn’t have been low if the pads are in that good of shape.
Yeap, instead of a daily dealership-bash thread, why aren't more people addressing the brake light issue ? Heh, maybe the fluid was filled low from the factory and with pad wear it's finally getting low enough to trigger the light...

Is a former Firestone Store service writer running the Toyota Service Department? There’s nothing wrong with those brake pads or rotor. Bleed them, top up with fluid and look for a leak. Could be a problem with the parking brake, master cylinder or ABS system. Look for rocks or other debris lodged. Make sure all of the pistons, pads and pins are moving freely.

I just went out to my garage (I have 4 boxes of new front pads for my car and a brake wear gauge). My NEW unused pads are 10 mm thick, but I'm sure some new pads are 12mm else why would the gauge set include that number? The wear gauge is green for 8mm, 10mm & 12mm. It is yellow for 4, 5, & 6mm and red for 2 & 3 mm (replace).
The wear gauge set is only $12 on Amazon and takes all the guesswork out of "eyeballing" and the fact that not all pads have that wear slot in the middle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QHSHM...=xh1lX&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title

My two cents to you is that those pads are obviously fine and the stealership was being dishonest to your aunt, but that doesn't solve the issue of the BRAKE light coming on or the low fluid level. I think you know the answer to the fluid being low and it is not good. What I find most shocking about your story is that brake fluid level DOESN'T "naturally" go down at all, there is a leak somewhere; unless the brake fluid level sensor is going bad. I would THINK that a diligent dealership would look for/at all these possibilities, since repairs would be $$$$ in their pocket. My parting shot is I wouldn't take my kids little red wagon to a known dishonest dealer.

Front pads usually start at 10 mm in my experience. So those pads have many years left. That dealership is scamming her. I'd bet money they didn't do a real brake flush either...

Kia dealer did the exact same thing to my mom recently, but they charged her $200+ for a brake inspection! She had brought it in for her regular free oil change. I've told her many times not to agree to other things they want to do to the car without talking to me first, but she still ignored it/me, so she has a $200+ bill now to pay... :( Drives me bonkers that she doesn't say 'no thanks I'll wait for now', and let me double check stuff first. Her brakes are just like yours OP, totally full and fine (the car has <18 000 kms on it!)...

Concerning the dishonest dealership and repair shops i had new tires put on my Transit Connect at my local NTB and while I waited several customers came in to retrieve their cars after service. Several customers were told things they had asked to be checked, as the owner thought there was a problem, were told those things were fine and didn't need addressed at this time.

Kia dealer did the exact same thing to my mom recently, but they charged her $200+ for a brake inspection! She had brought it in for her regular free oil change. I've told her many times not to agree to other things they want to do to the car without talking to me first, but she still ignored it/me, so she has a $200+ bill now to pay... :( Drives me bonkers that she doesn't say 'no thanks I'll wait for now', and let me double check stuff first. Her brakes are just like yours OP, totally full and fine (the car has
I have witnessed some shady stuff and it’s usually directed at women customers.

I have witnessed some shady stuff and it’s usually directed at women customers.
Yes, my mom is elderly so everyone thinks they can pull one over on her. I tell her all the time about stuff she shouldn't do, about scams going around, etc, but she doesn't always listen :(

Yes, my mom is elderly so everyone thinks they can pull one over on her. I tell her all the time about stuff she shouldn't do, about scams going around, etc, but she doesn't always listen :(
I’ve seen it happen to younger women too. Many service writers figure that women coming in for repairs are single and don’t have a man in their life to advise them. They also conclude that they are not knowledgeable about cars. They are a mark. Most of the time, I see to any repairs on my wife’s car. If I can’t, I write her out detailed instructions on what needs to be done or what problem the car is having and instruct them to call me for any questions.

Plenty of pad left. You can't go by mileage but actual inspections once a year. I wouldn't worry about those brakes until the friction material gets as thin as the backing steel of the pad. It's a shame your dealer is not honest and cannot be trusted.

Back