Dealer put non-synthetic oil - should I complain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by kiko:
Let's say I go to a dealer for an oil change to keep up with warranty issues. If I bring in my own oil, how do I know that the oil I brought is really what's inside the car.

The only way to tell is to take a sample afterwards and do a used oil analysis. That can help determine if the oil looks like something you gave them to use or not.

When I bring my own oil, I also ask for the empty bottles back, but of course that's no guarantee that they emptied the bottles into my engine either...

I also specifically ask the dealer NOT to do the complimentary car wash when I come in for service. While they may be good mechanics (even that is sometimes questionable), they're certainly not good detailers and getting rid of paint scratches and spiderwebs is not an easy process afterwards. Only I am allowed to wash my car. Yes, call me anal, but that's just me. I take better care of my car than of myself sometimes.
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris 2421:
Patman.... Why the slam against mechanics??

I didn't slam mechanics at all, I simply stated that when the mechanic saw the Fram Sure Drain setup, if he wasn't familiar with it he wouldn't know how to drain the oil, since all he would see is a brass cap on the end. I meant no disrespect to mechanics, I was simply saying how it is an usual drain plug I now have on my car, so any person, mechanic or not, would not be able to drain the oil without having the second piece that goes along with it.

Dani,

Just because they performed a service for free, doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your car. Like others already pointed out, I'd demand they fix their screw-up ASAP. Have them drain the dino oil, fill it up with M1 (free of charge to you of course) and install a new oil filter.

It may be difficult to execute, but doesn't hurt to try.

cheers.gif

I agree with the others, go back and demand they put Mobil 1 back in, install a new filter etc.

Sometime ago, 1998 to be exact I brought my 1998 Monte Carlo into the Chevy for an oil change to synthetic oil, new car with 2500 miles. I had my own oil and filter but the service writer assured my that was no problem. She wrote right on the work order, "Use customer supplied oil and filter". I came back later to pickup the car, told them to bill me and went out to get into car and saw my oil was still on the front floor. Asked the service person what was going on, she was baffled so she called over the tech and I asked him what he put in my car and why not my oil. He goes on to say, that synthetic oil in no good for you car and he put in Marathon brand oil instead because thats what they recommend. I proceeded to explain to him that it was my car and that I was paying them to do what I wanted, not what he wanted. As I was talking about this, my salesman/owner was passing by and listening, He asked me what was the problem. I explained it to him and then told him this man (was a jerk) just cost you a 30 yr customer. I decided it was time to leave and walked outside to my car. I was sitting in the car reading the invoice when the tech comes walking over to talk, I rolled down the window and he proceeds to give me hell for getting him in trouble with the boss. He says a few choices words and tells me F.O. I was so pissed, I traded that Chevy away 3 months later and bought a 1999 GMC. The salesman/owner never once offered to make it right nor did he even make a follow up call and I bought some 10 cars/trucks from them from 1970-1998. Someone told me the *** chewing he gave the tech was for my benefit and then proceeded to bad mouth me when I left. Little did he know a person nearby was a friend and told me this a few days later.

If anyone is interested in the part number for that Corvette Mobil 1 oil filter cap its 12555685 or AC Delco RC73.

I put one on my 2001 GMC and 2002 Trans Am + yellow waning stickers in the engine area. Thinking of putting one the oil pan from idea I got from the Trans Am. On the 6 sp trans near filler hole is big yellow sticker, USE ATF ONLY.

[ May 09, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Well, at least with the cap on there, when he goes to put oil in it, maybe it will make him stop.

Do you really think so?? If it were me I would put a lock on my oil cap, maybe then they would get the hint, though then they would probably hack off the lock so they could "do you a service of putting some crap oil in there."
pat.gif

Really I don't have anything against mechanics, I'm sure there are some good ones out there. I just havn't found them yet.
banghead.gif

Perhaps there's a market for locking drain plugs. (or maybe drain plugs that require unique tools like those anti theft lug nuts)

I suppose you could weld the outside half of a locking lug nut to the drain plug.

Anyone want to front me some venture capital???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back