Dealer honesty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story...I had been looking for a new lawn tractor. I really liked the Deere X500 class but the price was huge. I looked all over and also liked Simplicity but again, high prices. I had settled on either a Cub Cadet or a top of the line Husqvarna and was heading to make the purchase when I noticed a large amount of used tractors at the local JD dealership. I walked through and found 3 JDs that I likes and then I saw a spotless 2013 Simplicity Conquest with 51 hours on it. Not a scratch on the machine or the deck. I checked the oil and it was quite clean. I fired it up and it ran perfectly. I went into the showroom and asked about each of the models. I found out that this dealer was having an auction for all traded and used items. All of the JD tractors were priced quite high, but the Simplicity was priced about $2,000 less than what it would have sold for new. I tried to haggle but the guy said it was the lowest he could go and that the oil and all filters had been changed and that the machine had power steering and a warranty.

I left and thought about it, then researched the model (by serial number and product number) and I found that there was no power steering on this model (later confirmed) and that there is no warranty on used Simplicity tractors unless purchased at an authorized dealer as "dealer certified". I went back and the salesman said he was sorry about the steering mistake but went on to talk about how JD stands behind their tractors no matter what as far as warranty goes. I left again and called JD who said they would only honor warranties on used equipment if it was traded in at a JD dealer and sold by them.

So, the sales guy is either grossly misinformed on both the used equipment that he is selling (claimed to be a former Simplicity salesman) and also misinformed on his current employer's warranties, or he is just simply dishonest and trying to sell at any cost. I loved the machine however and the price was incredible. I bought the tractor and had them deliver it.

It arrived with a different oil filter on it than the one that I had seen on it earlier. The oil was also much darker. the air and fuel filters were dirty, not freshly changed as I had been told. In other words, no servicing had been done as he said, but then they did change the oil and filter prior to delivery, using a standard JD filter and from the looks of the oil, a straight SAE 30 wt dino oil.

I did mow my lawn with it and performed some other tasks for about 2 hours of run time and the oil was then a dark brown.

Today I changed oil and filters. The oil filter was a the premium B&S filter as were the air and fuel filters. The oil is Mobil 1 10w-30 EP. After the changes, the machine starts better and idles smoother. I used the tractor for over 2 hours and the oil is still so clear I can not see the level on the dipstick other than to see the liquid resting on the stick when viewed in direct sunlight.

I am happy with the machine and the price I paid, but more and more I am thinking that the JD dealer wanted the orange beast off of their lot (hence the price), but I also feel that perhaps they had some motive to provide a less than perfect machine in hopes that I might return it for one of theirs. I don't know, but something was quite fishy with the inconsistencies in the description and service of the machine.

In the end, after doing my own maintenance, I am quite happy with the beast. Just my rant... :)

Originally Posted By: Willscary

So, the sales guy is either grossly misinformed on both the used equipment that he is selling (claimed to be a former Simplicity salesman) and also misinformed on his current employer's warranties, or he is just simply dishonest and trying to sell at any cost. -)

JD is not his employer. Just like any other salesman he's trying to make a sale and fast.

When it comes to lawn tractors & mowers, John Deere isn't a brand- it's a religion. Once you understand that, everything else falls into place.

As far as outdoor power equipment dealers go, you will find ill-informed(and sometimes, just plain dishonest) employees are all too common at any of them, no matter the brand. It's very common for dealerships to have one or two good, sharp employees, & the rest have no clue about anything.

Whenever one of those sales clowns start running their pie hole about warrantys on used equipment, GET IT IN WRITING!
Doing your own inspections, and research on the equipment is your best bet. This is where the internet is a valuable tool. Those clowns at the dealer will tell you anything to make a sale.

No free cap, but the tractor has been awesome so far. I bought it because of the hills at my place and it does not disappoint. After nearly a quarter of a decade and 2 previous tractors, I can climb all hills without any real tire slippage and the tractor does not slow down or grunt when climbing them with a trailer loaded with whatever. I have been quite impressed. It is more than I expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back