Dealer bulk oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
When you put oil into a big tank it automatically becomes "bad oil" ?

People worry about all the additives settling out to the bottom of the tank

Those tanks get used too often and empty often. We are talking weeks, not months.
Is the tank contents you mention, pulled from the top of the tank at each oil change, or the bottom?

Last edited:
ARCOgraphite said:

[/quot

-As stated above-this is an unfounded fear like so many other things on BITOG.

I can't tell you how many "uneventful" and professional oil changes I have had at various dealers around the country.

I got a free oil change at the local ford dealer and they used motorcraft bulk 5-20.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Didn't realize Jay Leno worked at Woodworth...thought he was a lot boy at Wilmington Ford long before they tore it down.
AFAIK He didn't work at Woodworth, though his dad and MY dad bought similar Buicks at a dealer near the Lawrence / Shawsheen line in the mid 60's. Forget the name of the place. Nice dealership near the skating derby.

I got a red tag sale Ford Galaxie police interceptor for 700 bucks at Wilmington ford in the late 70s'. 429 with certified speedo and big dent in the left rear quarter panel. Some drunk golfer rear ended and totaled it leaving the Indian Ridge C.C. 19th hole. I think he had a Mark IV.

Almost died in that car on the Lawrence overpass near the Gas company.

I think it was a Lieutenant's car it was Bronze with brown brocade interior not vinyl.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I guarantee the oil on the shelf at your local walmart sits there longer than the oil in your dealers tank. The dealer i work at gets the tank filled every week. This is the dumbest theory I've seen in a long time.

Like the other post said, lubricant fraud is rampant at dealerships and quick lube places. Here in Florida you can get cheap 55 gallon drums of oil that just says the weight and the api rating, it comes through the port of Miami. With so many dealerships doing free oil changes for life, they cut costs.

I would feel better putting in supertech out of the walmart jug than guessing at what a dealership or quick lube place may have put in there.

And keep in mind it takes a few minutes to pump the oil from a unbranded 55 gallon drum into a nice shiny Mobil 1 55 gallon drum. Huge instant profit there.

The Toyota dealers in my area swear they use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, yet on the work orders it simply says "Bulk 0W-20." The used oil analysis I've had done show this to not be the case. While they are using okay oil, it is not TGMO, When I later asked about this they point to the invoice where it says "Bulk" and say they never claim to use TGMO.

I worked at a number of dealerships over the years, some were more dishonest than others, but none were anywhere close to honest.

Originally Posted by ted s
if it meets the current spec i dont see the issue

When the customer pays for something that is of higher price and quality, and the dealer uses something else, it is a little thing called fraud. In the case of my local Toyota dealer, whatever they are using is at a TBN is just under 2 at 5,000 miles. This oil wouldn't cut it for the 10,000 mile intervals Toyota calls for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your local dealership service bay operates much in the same way that any other shop would operate. They get oil from the distributor with the best pricing and availability. That Mobil 1000 should be fine as long as the oil is changed within 3 months or 3,000 miles like the little sticker in the window says.

Originally Posted by Fifty150
Your local dealership service bay operates much in the same way that any other shop would operate. They get oil from the distributor with the best pricing and availability. That Mobil 1000 should be fine as long as the oil is changed within 3 months or 3,000 miles like the little sticker in the window says.

I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed that the new jugs of mobil 1000 now say Synthetic blend" and meet the newest Ford spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back