Dead: Nissan Maxima. -Jalopnik

you mean THIS 'Ghosn' ?

France issues an international arrest warrant for Carlos Ghosn​

yes this guy. nissan as a company was a money bleeding dumpster fire on an unprecedented scale. this man’s actions in the early 2000s were nothing short of heroic.

hateful people conspired against him and were able to get their excuse when their attack dogs found serious embezzlement at the top of the food chain.

luckily he escaped and will never be brought to “justice” in japan. this

Last edited:
yes this guy. nissan as a company was a money bleeding dumpster fire on an unprecedented scale. this man’s actions in the early 2000s were nothing short of heroic.

hateful people conspired against him and were able to get their excuse when their attack dogs found serious embezzlement at the top of the food chain.

luckily he escaped and will never be brought to “justice” in japan. this
It appears you and I have different definitions of the word "hero". I also noticed you edited your post by deleting your prior reference excusing him because he only stole $ 150, 000,000.

Last edited:
My first new car was a 1998 SE stick with every option except sunroof deflector. At the time, my favorite car was the GS400. I would say the car is reliable seeing as it still runs today lol

The interesting thing is every car I have purchased (I guess I'm not a fanboy since I've never bought more than one of a brand) went downhill after I bought it. I've always wanted to see the respective models get better and better, but not the case.

btw just remembered in 2019, when I traveled a lot for work, I rented one and it had just 8 miles on it. I remember feeling as if I just picked up a brand new car so I treated it well during my week with it. Nothing at all exciting and all of those cars by then had zero steering feel, although that's what people want.

They got too big and heavy around 2001 or so. Possibly a bit later.

I had an ‘87 5-speed. Good car for its time. About the size of a modern Sentra.

The ‘89-‘94 was my favorite - especially the SE variant with charcoal leather, 5-speed, sunroof, and Bose stereo.

I think the SE was the only model that got the DOHC 190-HP engine in those years. The rest of them got the 160-HP SOHC like I had in my ‘87.

The ‘95-‘96 was good too. Possibly even a bit faster. I just didn’t look as good.

Those we’re the days when a 5-speed was actually quicker than an automatic.

Around 6.8 seconds 0-60. Quick for the time.

the non-premium executive sedan is dead and has been dying for a long time. entry level midsize sedans are the almost same size and can be optioned out.

people want to step up to a better nameplate than what those vehicles had to offer, that’s just a fact. the lexus ES still moves 45k units a year for the small amount of people who can’t sacrifice size for prestige.

azera dead
avalon dead
maxima dead
taurus dead
lacrosse dead
300 dead
Prestige is earned and lost over time. I remember when I was in high school or so, people thought Camry as a "manager's car" and has some prestige. These days they are at most soccer mom's cars and blend into the background.

Keep doing those "prestige" thing and all the brands would be not so prestige eventually. Anyways, I'd pick a bargain over prestige any day.

Prestige is earned and lost over time. I remember when I was in high school or so, people thought Camry as a "manager's car" and has some prestige. These days they are at most soccer mom's cars and blend into the background.

Keep doing those "prestige" thing and all the brands would be not so prestige eventually. Anyways, I'd pick a bargain over prestige any day.
Even most econo boxes come with power windows and air conditioning. What sets them apart is lack of ride quality, handling, lack of sound insulation. Other wise even the everyday transportation appliances are pretty good. I think to get "prestige" these days you really have to move up in the automobile food chain.

One of the biggest issues was that Nissan never added either standard or optional AWD for the Maxima. For the premium segment it should have been added years ago. And they could have paired with nismo or Stillen to make a top tier Maxima.

I'll miss the 4DSC
New Yorkers loved it's working class hero price yet sports luxury vibes 🥰
Attainable Prestige (a car to aspire to) as a previous poster put it
For a time it could be seen cruising through any given neighborhood with any given countries flag on the hood, banging the latest hits in that countries language

If I could find a clean 03/04 6 Speed, with the Meridian Package, LSD, heated seats, sunroof

They were kinda high maintenance, or just the average owner base thrashed them and didn't keep up with what broke 🤷‍♂️

And they liked to rust, often in uneconomical to repair ways

They got too big and heavy around 2001 or so. Possibly a bit later.

I had an ‘87 5-speed. Good car for its time. About the size of a modern Sentra.

The ‘89-‘94 was my favorite - especially the SE variant with charcoal leather, 5-speed, sunroof, and Bose stereo.

I think the SE was the only model that got the DOHC 190-HP engine in those years. The rest of them got the 160-HP SOHC like I had in my ‘87.

The ‘95-‘96 was good too. Possibly even a bit faster. I just didn’t look as good.

Those we’re the days when a 5-speed was actually quicker than an automatic.

Around 6.8 seconds 0-60. Quick for the time.
The 2004+ had a curb weight of only 34xxlbs. Along with 265hp/255tq. They were pretty decent. Combine that on the SL with leather, HID's, sunroof, etc....not bad at all. Fantastic powertrain but **** everything else.

One of my neighbors had a circa-2008 Nissan Maxima. Something else broke down every week. Eventually, the transmission failed and the car only went in reverse or something. Then, he got rid of it circa 2018.

No bargains to be found today. For kicks I googled Highlander platinum hybrid in my area, and there was one for sale with 8k miles. Asking $61,000. Paying 5 to 10k over list, and then for a used car, doesn't rub me the right way at all...

Prestige sells or it did--look at all the diminutive German cars. It truly took the cake when it was said by the mfg that they went to a fwd platform because buyers of that series really didn't know the difference.

One of my neighbors had a circa-2008 Nissan Maxima. Something else broke down every week. Eventually, the transmission failed and the car only went in reverse or something. Then, he got rid of it circa 2018.
I see you have Toyotas...well in 2016 I got my first Toyota product. 10 y.o. Lexus LS with 81k. 6 years later let's see what broke, um, well, nothing lol I did pay an indie to do the timing belt and I replaced some front control arm bushings and regular maintenance, mostly DIY, plugs, serpentine, 2 idlers as they squealed, brake pads and rotors. Parts can often be more than they would on a BMW, which took some getting used to. It's a 2006 so the last of the 3rd gen. The 2007 I hear has some expensive repairs....

I see you have Toyotas...well in 2016 I got my first Toyota product. 10 y.o. Lexus LS with 81k. 6 years later let's see what broke, um, well, nothing lol I did pay an indie to do the timing belt and I replaced some front control arm bushings and regular maintenance, mostly DIY, plugs, serpentine, 2 idlers as they squealed, brake pads and rotors. Parts can often be more than they would on a BMW, which took some getting used to. It's a 2006 so the last of the 3rd gen. The 2007 I hear has some expensive repairs....
Toyotas have been very reliable for a long time. In the mid-1990s, a mechanic named Milton in a shop in LA owned by a Japanese guy named Sato would tell me that Honda and Mazda used to be unreliable through mid-1980s but caught up with Toyota in reliability in 1987, which was the first model year for a reliable Honda and Mazda, and Nissan was already reliable before then. Sato was very proud of Japanese engineering and especially Toyotas and would never use a non-Toyota part in his repairs. One day I took an aftermarket oil-pressure switch to him for my light-blue 1985 Corolla LE and he wouldn't install it because he said it was made in the US, and I said it was made in Mexico, and he laughed and said that was even worse then. It looks like Sato retired and sold his premises to a body shop.

o.jpg

You can order parts at https://parts.toyota.com/, which is usually a lot cheaper, especially because parts is something Toyota dealers often have markups and sell well above MSRP. At the link I gave, they are usually well below MSRP. Sometimes if there is a discounted dealer nearby, you can pick up the part without a shipping fee.

Last edited:
Back