DCT fluid

I was just about to change a the fluid in a Ford Fiesta with the GETRAG 6DCT250 for a friend.

Not paying attention, I bought Valvoline DCT fluid, and some how decided to look up the spec M2C 936A that the valvoline reference and it is for a wet clutch DCT not a dry clutch

Ford has this fluid for specifically for the the Dryclutch and makes no mention of M2C 936A
XT-11-QDC (WSS-M2C200-D2)

Will the Valvoline be suitable for use?

I am very curious about this too. I bought a 2017 Fiesta new, and I was told it has a "lifetime" trans fluid. Despite that I am going to do my best to find a way to change it at 100K. I think there is a youtube video on how to do it. There has to be a way.

There is nothing wrong with Valvoline DCT Fluid :)

It will work in your Fiesta with no problem.

If you're still hesitant, Amalie does claim 200-D2 and XT-11-QDC Dry Clutch). They did raise the price a bit, so it's not the value it once was, but Amalie makes good stuff. This is the best price I could find, slightly cheaper than Valvoline, but you have to buy by the case of 12 rather than 6.

I am very curious about this too. I bought a 2017 Fiesta new, and I was told it has a "lifetime" trans fluid. Despite that I am going to do my best to find a way to change it at 100K. I think there is a youtube video on how to do it. There has to be a way.
Yeah that motorcraft fluid is good really don’t have to change it. Trust ford on this

Yeah that motorcraft fluid is good really don’t have to change it. Trust ford on this

150K miles per manual. I assume 150K is the "lifetime" of USDM cars.

1615875719686.png

If you're still hesitant, Amalie does claim 200-D2 and XT-11-QDC Dry Clutch). They did raise the price a bit, so it's not the value it once was, but Amalie makes good stuff. This is the best price I could find, slightly cheaper than Valvoline, but you have to buy by the case of 12 rather than 6.
Thanks!

I had already received the case of 6 of valvoline DCT and had cracked open one of the bottles out of curiosity. I would not be able to return it if it were the wrong fluid.

I

I just called Valvoline and they said their fluid is specifically NOT recommended for the GETRAG 6DCT250.

Are they trying to cover the rear ends since this is such a problematic transmission that they do not want to be blamed?

I just called Valvoline and they said their fluid is specifically NOT recommended for the GETRAG 6DCT250.

Are they trying to cover the rear ends since this is such a problematic transmission that they do not want to be blamed?
If they haven't educated themselves on the real problems with that unit, they could be using a blanket approach to stay as far away from that transmission as they can get. Fluid actually has no affect on what's wrong with this transmission, unless you count the input seal, which the fluid does leak through, which then contaminates the dry clutches. But it's far from being the fluid's fault.

Considering the warranty situation surrounding that transmission, I would go buy some Motorcraft DCT fluid if I were you. Seems to be pretty good stuff...it's in my ST's 6-speed.

Last edited:
The

If they haven't educated themselves on the real problems with that unit, they could be using a blanket approach to staying as far away from that transmission as they can get. Fluid actually has no affect on what's wrong with this transmission, unless you count the input seal, which the fluid does leak through, which then contaminates the dry clutches. But it's far from being the fluid's fault.

Considering the warranty situation surrounding that transmission, I would go buy some Motorcraft DCT fluid if I were you. Seems to be pretty good stuff...it's in my ST's 6-speed.
So in other words Valvoline does not wish to be on the receiving end of lawsuits that don't have anything to do with their fluid.

I

:eek:

Then use Amalie :)

Thanks!

I had already received the case of 6 of valvoline DCT and had cracked open one of the bottles out of curiosity. I would not be able to return it if it were the wrong fluid.

If you know someone else with a DCT you can use the Valvoline on, you can always give it to them, or you could always add it to your stash in case you get a transmission it's suitable for :sneaky:

I was just about to change a the fluid in a Ford Fiesta with the GETRAG 6DCT250 for a friend.

Not paying attention, I bought Valvoline DCT fluid, and some how decided to look up the spec M2C 936A that the valvoline reference and it is for a wet clutch DCT not a dry clutch

Ford has this fluid for specifically for the the Dryclutch and makes no mention of M2C 936A
XT-11-QDC (WSS-M2C200-D2)

Will the Valvoline be suitable for use?
A dry clutch dct is essentially a manual transmission. A wet clutch dct is a manual transmission with a clutch pack.

The

If they haven't educated themselves on the real problems with that unit, they could be using a blanket approach to staying as far away from that transmission as they can get. Fluid actually has no affect on what's wrong with this transmission, unless you count the input seal, which the fluid does leak through, which then contaminates the dry clutches. But it's far from being the fluid's fault.

So in other words Valvoline does not wish to be on the receiving end of lawsuits that don't have anything to do with their fluid.
Kind of funny for a company the makes an ATF that is "recommended for use" in just about every transmission.

Kind of funny for a company the makes an ATF that is "recommended for use" in just about every transmission.

Not funny at all, it is instead the rational thing to do. Sometimes you don't want to take the blame for things that aren't your fault. Fluids cannot correct material or design faults although it seems as though some individuals believe they can - or are later blamed for failures.

Kind of like not working one someone else's car that has other problems for which you may be held responsible although you aren't at fault.

A dry clutch dct is essentially a manual transmission. A wet clutch dct is a manual transmission with a clutch pack.

I may use it anyway what the heck the car is old and any fluid is probably better then the "lifetime factory fill" at this point.

Ford already said it would this car is past any warranty claims and the lawsuit did not apply to it, Valvoline DCT Viscosity seems to match the Amalie fluid which is slightly more viscous than the Ford fluid. Valvoline would not disclose their production typicals.

So that is my only concern that is that it does not have adequate AW.

There is a way a TORX T-50 socket for and an 8mm allen socket should do the trick.

You have to take the driver front wheel out to get the fill hole and may need a swivel or wobble.

Thanks Drew, I usually change trans fluid on my Chevy truck every 50K miles, but I am thinking if I target 100K miles in the "lifetime fluid" Fiesta that would cover me up through 200K miles.

BTW I think my 2017 Fiesta is a great car. Its one of the most underrated vehicles on the road. Also, by 2017 Ford had fixed the DCT issues by then.

Back