Daughter first car . I was thinking 2006-2012 Honda Civic

The OP is asking for advice. Just because some parents let their kids drive their Tesla or buy their kid a V8 Mustang or some other foolish car doesn't change anything.
The difference is daughter which is massive advantage. I concur foolish with many boys at 16.

Chances are higher at that age that there will be damage, and it could be at the hands of our kids, so I opted for smaller, but safer vehicles. It’s not just for their safety, but also those around them. They shared a used Buick for a while, which was cheap to run and repair. The Buick eventually went to another family member and my daughter got my normally aspirated Volvo and still has it. My son is now in a civic. Aggressive, or at least impatient driving is not uncommon with teens, and larger vehicles can promote greater, and unwise, false confidence.

my kids may not have offered me “cool dad points“ for not giving them what they wanted, but they did get a car, which by no means were we obligated to provide.

Yeah, insurance on a fancy set of wheels just might be a deal killer.
Plus, there is a statistic somewhere that states 1st cars tend to get into fender benders...
The older CRV I fixed up for my grand nieces was perfect. Then it wasn't.... All good

As far as the blocks cracking on the 06-08 Civics, that seems to be mostly a thing of the past, all the ones that were going to have pretty much done it by now. It mostly happened around 40-60k when I was swapping them for Honda (few outliers here and there but that was the typical mileage) My '06 has around 210k on it, original block.

crown vic.jpg

yup, ur 4 dor idea - good, as her friends can fit in (more = distracted driver, worn her). Post '04 era honda started making bigger cars so that's good too (ur '06 idea) due to safety of 'the surrounding box'. Good brand choice too. The default (not alot of thinkin involved) is still toy / honda I guess. Every durable good purchase (fridge, puter, car) is proceeded by a Consumer Reports check-in over our chateau...

I know my parents did not want to give us the old minivan, specifically for concerns of filling it with 19 friends and doing something stupid. Iirc the state of Alabama actually has a limit on how many folks can be in a car with a young driver.

I’ll second the suggestion for an older crv. They tend to be dead nuts reliable, practical, and from my limited experience (I’ve known 2), sturdy.

8th generation Civic is the way to go. I put on thousands of miles with nothing more than routine maintenance. Cheap to insure. Larger vehicles will always be more expensive to insure for younger drivers as the risk for damage to other parties increases with the increased mass.

At this level of driving experience, it's worth getting the safest vehicle in your price ranger. Maybe even a newer civic, crash protection is so much better than 15 years ago. Make sure it has side impact airbags at least.

Any gen civic you mentioned, or corolla/Camry will be fine. Safe, reliable, cheap insurance, gas mileage, easy to fix.

Older CRV's or rav4 would be nice if she needs the space, it's higher somewhat good visibility.

Apologies if I only mentioned Japanese cars, just my experience with them growing up. First car was a 88 corolla gts.

+2 on the side airbags, only thing I really wish my 99 camry had now that junior's about to get his permit.

+2 on the side airbags, only thing I really wish my 99 camry had now that junior's about to get his permit.
Same worries here! Sons crv is set but the daughter is going to start learning in a couple weeks, and right now I’m not sure what vehicle she will get… might be my 99 Camry if she likes it.

I might “need” to shop crv/rav as she probably is on the college path and the trunk space might be useful.

give da boy the '99 instead?
If either comes to UMassss let me no (or other "5 College Area" school).
I'm here'n maintain lots of neighbor's rigs (Hatfield / Pioneer Valley)...

give da boy the '99 instead?
He doesn't like it much, which would be in the "that's too bad" category, but IMO it's actually kinda sad that he thinks it too fast. He really is one of those laid back kind.

Ultimately it's harder for him to get in and out of a sedan while the CRV is easier. Being disabled sucks.

I'll throw in this:

2008-2011 Ford Focus with MZR 2.0L engine and 4speed transmission

you can get it a dirt cheap and it is super reliable

like this

Would a used minivan be an option? If he’s laid back he might like it. I think I mentioned earlier that my parents were against me having one for “partying” reasons, but depending on his personality, it could be ok. I enjoyed driving our ‘84 vanagon around town way back then when my parents would let me, and enjoyed the town and country Gen IV when we had it (them). An early 2000s sienna?

Would a used minivan be an option?
I've thought about getting one, just because of (potential) trips of taking kids back and forth to college.

Nah, he seems content with the CRV. Get a few years out of it, lather rinse repeat if necessary. I've not been a fan of it, but the more I work on it, the less I dislike it. [I say that, just wait for the next repair.]

Back