Data on the Walmart Super Tech oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 4.6L Fords ('95 Towncar and '99 Crown Vic) I normally use the Motorcraft FL-820s oil filters.

Recently I picked up several Amsoil filters from Amsoil and Several Walmart Super Tech oil filters from Walmart.

The SuperTech FL-820s equivalent is the ST-2.

To my untrained eye it looked like a quality filter (from the outside looking in).

I emailed Champion labs and asked about the efficiency ratings of the filter. I quote the reply I received below (this is for the newer black filters not the older blue filters):

"The single pass and the multi-pass efficiency ratings listed are based on the efficiency of removing 10 - 20 micron sized particle beads. The media used in the Super Tech oil filters averages around 20 micron nominal."

How does this compare to other filters? It's not the cost (the Motorcraft are $3 and the Walmart is $2). I'm just looking for a quality cost effective filter. For comparison, I think I paid about $7 each for the Amsoil filters (which I think are made by Baldwin -- I haven't tried them yet).

Why are you switching from the Motorcraft filter?
confused.gif
-Joe

Actually, I don't have any reason to believe the Motorcraft filter is bad. I just don't have any data on it.

I'm trying a few others -- and I will probably cut some of them open to see what they look like in side but in all likelyhood I will probably just go back to using the Motorcraft FL-820s. This filter (again to my untrained eye) looks to be well made. It is sturdy, and appears to be good quality. For $3 it is a no brainer. I think it is made by Purolator but I don't have any specs on it.

I initially bought the Walmart filters as throw aways. I was running some engine flush through the motor and switching brands of oil so I did several oil changes in a short period of time and I figured it was a chance to try out the Walmart filters and save a few $$. After checking them out closely I was suprised how well made they looked. That is what started this for me.

[ September 07, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: ssmokn ]

I've never had an issue with the SuperTech black cased premium filters - and they save me a dollar or two
smile.gif
. Since I don't do extended drains, I feel I'm fine running something like that.

The original Minimopar filter study, now removed from most sites was almost as critical about Champion Labs filters as Frams. Rust and flimsy media. Supposedly they removed many of the comments after being threatened by Champion Labs attorneys.

However, unlike Fram, Champion Labs greatly increased the quality of their filters IMHO. The black SuperTechs are my filter of choice. SuperTech oil isn't bad either. $11.94 for an oil change (if you insist they substitute the ST for the standard Fram) is a pretty good deal.

[ September 07, 2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

csandste, I agree, Wally World's oil change is a pretty good deal, IF THEY DO IT RIGHT. I used to take my Honda to them every 3k miles, but in the last year they left the drain plug no more than finger tight TWICE (leaking once), and once they overfilled the crankcase by ONE FULL QUART!
mad.gif
I know they never change the aluminum crush washer on the drain plug. I'm sure, given the chance, they'd over torque the plug someday and come to me with the news that the threads are GONE. No thanks. And I talked to a guy who's dropout son works at one of the oil change chains. The stories are interesting, but not good. From now on, I'll be doing anything on my car or boat that I can do BETTER myself. I'm the only one who will treat my stuff like an owner.

[ September 08, 2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

ssmokn,
For what it's worth I am using the black ST-2 on one car and seems just fine. I like that it seems a quality filter with that neoprene end,I bought 20 of them for 1.97 each a few weeks ago,the Motorcrafts here are 3.47 each. All Supertechs are not the same,some still use the some kind of a cardboard looking type end even with the new colors for different models

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
... All Supertechs are not the same,some still use the some kind of a cardboard looking type end even with the new colors for different models

Funny you should mention that... I was looking at several other Walmart filters and some of them seemed pretty cheap. The ST2 seemed to be the best of the bunch. Some were on par with the ST2 and others looked very cheap. Maybe because the ST2 is such a common filter and so many of these cars are used in fleets that they make the filter a bit better. Who knows.

For the difference of $1 I think I'm going to use up my supply of ST2 filters and go back to the FL820S. The Motorcraft seems well built (again to my untrained eye).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back