Dashmount and windshield phone mount goo

I placed a phone mount on the windshield. The entire windshield has a 70% film that apparently blocks UV and infrared rays. The phone mount has a suction cup that has a gooey material on it. This goo has now turned into slime and I have a hard time cleaning the residue off. Any suggestions on how to clean it without ruining the windshield film?
Can you recommend a dash mounted phone cradle that won't form a chemical bond over time with the vinyl material?

I have stuck with a vent mount for that very reason... keeps the phone much cooler in warmer weather and quite stable.

I'm also looking for a good windshield mounted phone holder, specifically one that doesn't shake and bounce the phone while driving.

I have stuck with a vent mount for that very reason... keeps the phone much cooler in warmer weather and quite stable.
I have considered that as well, specifically for longevity of the Li battery. My biggest concern is accidentally bumping the phone and snapping the vane on the vent.

Denatured alcohol. I use it straight on my shields and have never had an issue. It cleans EVERYTHING off..

I tried the vent mount but I pull too many g's in my Camry the phone and/or mount flew off several times. Went to the cupholder mount and no more problems.

I have used vent mounts for years with little issues. The other three vehicles have CD slot mounted phone holders and they are sturdy. I don't like anything windshield mounted as many lose their suction power after hot/cold cycles. Hope to get Apple Carplay as a must option in future vehicles.

I tried the vent mount but I pull too many g's in my Camry the phone and/or mount flew off several times. Went to the cupholder mount and no more problems.
I actually had an issue with it loosening up a bit due to the phone weight moving just enough to loosen the bracket where it attaches to the vane. Solved it by stuffing a few pieces of dense foam in between the vent vanes to prevent any up/down movement.

Cupholder mount wouldn't work in my case due to interior design as my elbow would destroy things every drive. I like a costly phone up/out of the way of any sort of possible movement/interaction.

I have considered that as well, specifically for longevity of the Li battery. My biggest concern is accidentally bumping the phone and snapping the vane on the vent.
The way I have mine setup it shouldn't ever be hit in any sort of way and if so there's a bit of flexibility to absorb it to prevent vane damage. Just works great for me giving a safe/quick view of the screen when using GPS, within easy reach to lock the phone in, the charge socket is right below that area and stays cool in the process. Never been a problem with using heat as I rarely do year round. If that was an issue I also have the CD slot mount for a quick change of location that holds it nicely as well.

I placed a phone mount on the windshield. The entire windshield has a 70% film that apparently blocks UV and infrared rays. The phone mount has a suction cup that has a gooey material on it. This goo has now turned into slime and I have a hard time cleaning the residue off. Any suggestions on how to clean it without ruining the windshield film?
Can you recommend a dash mounted phone cradle that won't form a chemical bond over time with the vinyl material?

Have you tried a cleaner such as Sprayway foaming glass cleaner? it is ammonia free and shouldn't harm window tint film.

Have you tried a cleaner such as Sprayway foaming glass cleaner? it is ammonia free and shouldn't harm window tint film.
I used 70% Isopropyl alcohol on a warm day. Everything came off with a little elbow grease. Tint is fine.

You could also try naptha (or the charcoal lighter fluid or cap stove fuel versions of naptha). I have used it to clean things off tint, paint, and even seat fabric or carpet (for oily stains). Good solvent properties and easy on the skin and car materials.

I usually pick function over form, but **** sure couldn't handle looking at something like that regardless of how well it might work. They will truly sell anything these days!
It works for me, I have no problem with the looks of it but I do admit it's a bit comical in appearance.

Back