DashCam Recorded Thief

If it was me I'd still try to get the police to look at the video. Shows the guy pretty good, and the police could be on the look out for him around the area ... might get lucky and snag him and his driver.

I NEVER leave any vehicle unlocked unless it's in my garage. Even if the OP's wife's vehicle was locked in this situation, the guy may not have broke in and just went on to try other vehicles for unlocked doors.

That is usually the case around here. If it’s locked, they move on to easier targets, as was demonstrated in the video.

I'd go with naive not ignorance. Maybe her value set didn't drive her down the road of I have to make sure my doors are locked and nothing enticing is visible. Don't be too hard on her. I work in a relatively dumpy small city not to much north of NYC. We have late teens early 20's usually drug addicts that literally pull every car door handle all the way down the block. Most of us would think the "prize" should be something of worth. Often it is less than $5 in change. I promise ya!! These petty thefts are some of the hardest to get arrests on. And at least in NY when they are arrested, thanks to Uncle Cuomo, they get an appearance ticket and no time behind bars. Not even 1 night.

The lesson here should be to never leave valuables in open sight in a car, this is what the police always preach. Nobody is going to break into an empty car, of course the car would need to be locked in the first place for it to be considered breaking in. If you leave a laptop, purse, backpack, etc in open view in an unlocked car you're practically asking for somebody to walk away with it.

What state do you live in where this is true? It isn't in NY.

The lesson here should be to never leave valuables in open sight in a car, this is what the police always preach. Nobody is going to break into an empty car, of course the car would need to be locked in the first place for it to be considered breaking in. If you leave a laptop, purse, backpack, etc in open view in an unlocked car you're practically asking for somebody to walk away with it.

Second point. Not picking on you but this raises an interesting legal question. The answer is state specific. I'm interested in what state your in and if you know the correct answer. Door is locked but lock is faulty. I pull hard and the door opens. I did not do any damage to the vehicle. I sit inside the vehicle. I leave the vehicle and do not remove any contents form the vehicle. What crime, if any have I committed?

I feel it was ignorant on her part to leave a backpack in clear view with the doors unlocked.. I didn't say she was stupid but ignorant meaning lacking common sense. I am not going to apologize, if you don't like it, don't respond.

You can choose to be impolite all you want, just don't feel bad when people call you on your poo-flinging.

Someone forgot to lock their doors, must be someone who lacks common sense. Because you've never forgotten something or made a mistake.

Second point. Not picking on you but this raises an interesting legal question. The answer is state specific. I'm interested in what state your in and if you know the correct answer. Door is locked but lock is faulty. I pull hard and the door opens. I did not do any damage to the vehicle. I sit inside the vehicle. I leave the vehicle and do not remove any contents form the vehicle. What crime, if any have I committed?
I know in Texas the Castle Doctrine extends from your home to your vehicle. When you're in your vehicle, the Castle Doctrine is the same as if you were inside your home. As to entry into someone's empty vehicle,I'm guessing a trespassing violation.

Having had the pleasure of actually meeting Mrs. Pifer, I can assure you all that she is not ignorant, nor naive. She’s actually very intelligent, well-read, and charming.

She’s also distracted by a great many things in her life at the moment, so let’s go easy on her, please. Stick to the circumstances without impugning her character.

for example:https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wifes-pregnant.329994/

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This is why I always say be ready for anything and everything. If you're able to, carry a gun and know how to use it. I live in Canada so our laws cater to criminals, but if you live in the US, especially in a state that has castle doctrine and/or stand your ground laws, consider yourself blessed.

Now someone might read this and think I'm being extreme. I'm not. The real threat appears when you catch such people in the act. What would this person have been willing to do had your wife gone to open the car as he was rummaging through your things? I doubt casually walked away.
I agree! Imagine this pos is violating someone's elderly mother's or grandmother's car and she happens to catch that roach in the act of committing the crime? I would have no problem at all someone blowing him away.

You can choose to be impolite all you want, just don't feel bad when people call you on your poo-flinging.

Someone forgot to lock their doors, must be someone who lacks common sense. Because you've never forgotten something or made a mistake.
You can continue to whine about it and I don't feel bad or care about any negative responses. I am not running for a political office. If that happened to me, I would be the first to say "I was ignorant and learned something from it".If someone told me, your ignorance and mistake contributed to the issue, I would say you are correct. I wouldn't go whining about it.

Last edited:
You can continue to whine about it and I don't feel bad or care about any negative responses. I am not running for a political office. If that happened to me, I would be the first to say "I was ignorant and learned something from it".If someone told me, your ignorance and mistake contributed to the issue, I would say you are correct. I wouldn't go whining about it.

Why do you have to be running for office? What happened to basic common courtesy? You can only be courteous when there's something in it for you? Are you also the type of person who will only do the right thing if it's written in the law?

Yes, one has to ensure they don't put themselves in vulnerable positions, but slip ups will happen somewhere to everyone. Unless you have utter perfection in everything you do,

It doesn't make you an ignorant person or someone lacking common sense. Even the best rally drivers crash sometimes. They're not inattentive pilots as a result.

Thief was smart to go for Easy target of unlocked cars. Happens over and over. My car is unlocked to buy nothing to steal in it.
I have seen on TV where a group of thugs broke into 120 cars at various apartment complexes within a few miles of each other. No joke.

It really sucks that people don’t want to work and steal. :mad:

Last edited:
I have seen on TV where a group of thugs broke into 120 cars at various apartment complexes within a few miles of each other. No joke.

It really sucks that people don’t want to work and steal. :mad:

There‘s an epidemic of car burglaries only Nashville for the last several years. It’s mostly groups of teenagers.

It goes like this: Steal a car, and drive out to the suburbs and cruise the rows of zero-lot line houses with cars parked close to the street.

One or two of them hop out and go down the line checking for unlocked car doors.

Very often, they score guns.

It’s very lucrative for them.

Also, often times, the police run Across them, and a high speed chase ensues. Typically, the thieves crash, with a foot chase then happening.

When I said 120 cars in 1 night, they smash the glass and enter vehicle.

They go from one complex to another.

Back