DashCam Recorded Thief

I had a dashcam (ROAV C1) given to me as a gift a couple of years ago, and mounted it in the wife’s car.

A couple of weeks ago, she forgot and left her doors unlocked at work (Amazon warehouse in North Nashville), and a lowlife opened the door and looked through a backpack she had behind the driver’s seat. Luckily all he got was several gift cards she had, that were given to us when we got married.

I was mostly glad nothing happened to her, and that there was no damage to the car.

The dashcam has a vibration detector that allows it to automatically start recording if the car is bumped or is otherwise disturbed (in this case, the door opening).

There is another video that doesnt show anything - only audio of the thief rifling through her bag.

It‘s too bad the cam only records forward. If I had one that also recorded in the aft direction, it probably would have gotten a good closeup of his face.

I think he was trying random door handles, seeing if they were unlocked. As he walks away from my wife’s car, he immediately walks over and tries the handle of the red SUV (it’s locked), and then he actually gets into what looks like a white Nissan.

We tried to file a report, but the police never showed (we waited for 4 hrs). Such is life in the big city.

It‘s funny to me that several people to whom i related this story, had never heard of a dashcam.

That just sucks! But glad she is okay along with the car....gifts cards are not a huge deal.

It took something like this to happen to my friend before he locked his doors.....

This is why I always say be ready for anything and everything. If you're able to, carry a gun and know how to use it. I live in Canada so our laws cater to criminals, but if you live in the US, especially in a state that has castle doctrine and/or stand your ground laws, consider yourself blessed.

Now someone might read this and think I'm being extreme. I'm not. The real threat appears when you catch such people in the act. What would this person have been willing to do had your wife gone to open the car as he was rummaging through your things? I doubt casually walked away.

This is why I always say be ready for anything and everything. If you're able to, carry a gun and know how to use it. I live in Canada so our laws cater to criminals, but if you live in the US, especially in a state that has castle doctrine and/or stand your ground laws, consider yourself blessed.

Now someone might read this and think I'm being extreme. I'm not. The real threat appears when you catch such people in the act. What would this person have been willing to do had your wife gone to open the car as he was rummaging through your things? I doubt casually walked away.
She was ignorant for leaving the car unlocked and a backpack in plain view for everyone to see.. Hopefully, she learned something from this.Use a gun on someone like this for breaking into a car is a good way to serving a long jail sentence. You need to attend a fire arms training course so you know exactly what your rights are. Nobody's well being was in jeopardy here so the Castle Doctrine isn't applicable here.

That’s a nice dash cam since it was able to come alive and record because of the vibration sensor. At least you could see part of what happened. Plus you and your wife won’t waste time looking for the gift cards.

She was ignorant for leaving the car unlocked and a backpack in plain view for everyone to see.. Hopefully, she learned something from this.Use a gun on someone like this for breaking into a car is a good way to serving a long jail sentence. You need to attend a fire arms training course so you know exactly what your rights are. Nobody's well being was in jeopardy here so the Castle Doctrine isn't applicable here.

I wasn't at all suggesting straight shooting someone for looting a vehicle. Clearly, the point I was making went completely over your head.

People looting vehicles tend to be after pocket money for meth/crack/heroin/etc.. I reckon the same people also wouldn't hesitate to cause bodily harm to someone who caught them in the act.

I wasn't at all suggesting straight shooting someone for looting a vehicle. Clearly, the point I was making went completely over your head.

People looting vehicles tend to be after pocket money for meth/crack/heroin/etc.. I reckon the same people also wouldn't hesitate to cause bodily harm to someone who caught them in the act.
Even suggesting what you did for this situation shows you have no business carrying anything other than a BB gun. I have no problem with someone defending themselves when they are in danger. What bothers me is the incompetent ones with a Napoleanic complex carrying a weapon to compensate for their shortcomings.

Question if you don't mind, about your dash cam:
Since the current model demands VPN & Location access among other items, for privacy reasons, would it be possible to setup the WiFI between this device and a 2nd no-SIM phone ? In other words, the 2nd phone would be a dedicated device just to talk to the dash cam for the express purpose of retrieving or viewing recorded video.

Even suggesting what you did for this situation shows you have no business carrying anything other than a BB gun. I have no problem with someone defending themselves when they are in danger. What bothers me is the incompetent ones with a Napoleanic complex carrying a weapon to compensate for their shortcomings.

My we are making some heavy assumptions. You owe the man an apology for your statements. Sounds like neither of you should be carrying a firearm. Don't shoot your eye out with that BB gun :rolleyes:

My we are making some heavy assumptions. You owe the man an apology for your statements. Sounds like neither of you should be carrying a firearm. Don't shoot your eye out with that BB gun :rolleyes:
Owes the OP an apology also for the "She was ignorant" comment as well, pretty douche move there for no reason.....

Owes the OP an apology also for the "She was ignorant" comment as well, pretty douche move there for no reason.....
I feel it was ignorant on her part to leave a backpack in clear view with the doors unlocked.. I didn't say she was stupid but ignorant meaning lacking common sense. I am not going to apologize, if you don't like it, don't respond.

Question if you don't mind, about your dash cam:
Since the current model demands VPN & Location access among other items, for privacy reasons, would it be possible to setup the WiFI between this device and a 2nd no-SIM phone ? In other words, the 2nd phone would be a dedicated device just to talk to the dash cam for the express purpose of retrieving or viewing recorded video.

I don’t see why not.

I feel it was ignorant on her part to leave a backpack in clear view with the doors unlocked.. I didn't say she was stupid but ignorant meaning lacking common sense. I am not going to apologize, if you don't like it, don't respond.
I did respond and it was uncalled for....

I don’t think she makes a habit of leaving the doors unlocked, or keeping valuables in plain sight.

She was distracted with some things that were going on at work that day (she was in training to take on some new responsibilities), so, I think she just had her mind on other things, plus, she had run out on her break to grab a sandwich, so, she was in a hurry to get back to work.

It was inadvertant.

Still, it was, indeed, a lesson learned. She’s from a small town in Northern Indiana, where things like this are far less common.

She was also surprised that the police never showed up (this isn’t a great part of town; they were probably tied up dealing with worse crime). She said the police would have been there quickly back in her home town.

This is her first time living in a good sized city.

Just be prepared for all the folks wanting to defund all police departments..... until THEY become a victim of a crime. 🤔

I wouldn’t call OP’s wife ignorant, but crimes like this are easy opportunity for low level criminals. Just like when a woman leaves her purse in car at gas station or gym.

I used to work near an LA Fitness in an upscale area, this gym had tons of car break ins cause people leaving laptops and briefcases in plain sight.

Had an associate relay a story about his wife going to the mall. She changed out purses and tossed the empty one in the back seat.
She came back to a side window busted out. Thief saw the purse [empty] in the back seat and went for it. Nothing worthwhile stolen, but replacing the window was a PITA.
With today's environment of an increased number of either desperate or entitled people combined with the reduced ability for the police to patrol and respond it makes sense to be more risk adverse and advise our spouses to do the same. Don't leave anything that is of value, or looks like it could contain anything of value in plain sight in an unoccupied vehicle.
As a side note, I like to leave a few bucks (less than 10) in the glove box. That way I always have some emergency cash, plus if my car is robbed, they get something of value, and are a bit less likely to vandalize it.

The lesson here should be to never leave valuables in open sight in a car, this is what the police always preach. Nobody is going to break into an empty car, of course the car would need to be locked in the first place for it to be considered breaking in. If you leave a laptop, purse, backpack, etc in open view in an unlocked car you're practically asking for somebody to walk away with it.

The OP's wife learned a valuable lesson / that's a good thing.

My house has an attached garage.
If I ever park in the driveway (over-night), I don't leave the Door Opener in the vehicle / it comes inside with me.

I also have NO info in my vehicle with my Name & Address / it's all in my wallet.

Back