Dare I use my Stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New BITOGer here. Well, I read a lot, but this is my first thread.

Here's my background story. I decided to build my stash when I find oils on sale. No big score so far, but in accordance with suggestions of others here, I cleared out a place in the basement so my oil would stay a little warm and not be cold in the unheated garage. I found enough orphan bottles for a complete change on either the Buick or Wifey's Tiburon. Have 2 PYB, 2 Havoline, and a Castrol GTX. As a good (semi-educated) BITOGer, I checked the label for the right service grade. After rubbing off the dust, I find SF/CC!?!? Must have bought this for my 1980 Buick and 1988 Chevy before moving to this house in 1993!

Dare I put this in a vehicle, or dump it into the recycle container?

I'd give that old oil to someone with a older oil burning beater car. It would be better than them buying the cheap SA no additive oil at the supermarket or quickiemart. It gets used and you don't damage any of your modern vehicles. You could always just leave a quart on the gas pump at where ever the cheapest gas in town is sold once a week. Last thought would be a used car dealer that sells high mileage older cars. Just leave it on thier door step one night...

Last edited:
How old is your Buick?
Which engine?
The 3.8 V-6 ran on much worse over its many years of production as did the 60 degree V-6s.
You could probably use this obsolete Frankenblend for a shortish run or you could probably use it as makeup oil if you need such a thing.
There is also the possibility of dumping in a quart at a time with each oil change.
The lawnmower or donation to somebody with little coin and an oil using car would be another possible use.
Five quarts would be a lot to use up in a lawnmower, though.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Lawn mower oil or give it to someone with a beater oil burner.

+1 That oil is at least 25 years old - top off for an old junker - that's it.

Good idea on the mower oil. Take care of three mowers, could do some short OCI on them, feeding the urge to do an oil change!

The Buick is 2005 LeSabre. I just put PU in about 900 miles ago. Was thinking of a short OCI on Wifes Tiburon, but it's 2001, and if I read the chart right, SF/CC is for engines before 1990. But mowers wouldn't mind.

Well, at 20 oz a change, you'd have enough for eight changes in the lawnmowers.
I'd use this old stuff without hesitation in a flathead, but maybe not in a more modern OHV OPE engine.
The age of the oil isn't relevant. Only the API spec claimed really matters and you have three reliable brands.

I don't see a problem at all with mixing it one quart at a time with your next several oil changes.

As long as the bottles/cans have not been opened, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the oil itself. What I usually do when I'm using "old" oil is pour in half a quart, then replace the cap on the bottle and shake well to mix the additives back into the oil, then pour the remaining oil in the motor.

If you're truly adverse to using this in your current rides, aside from using it in your lawnmower, you could also use it for bar and chain oil in your chainsaw, (assuming you have one). If you don't find a friend who does and donate it to him or her.

That sounds good. Use a little at a time in diluted form in a few OCI and in my older lawn equipment. I have a mower from Montgomery Wards I bought in 1994, still starts every year on a few pulls, first pull the rest of the season after that. It might enjoy a few short OCI, as would the tractor from Wards, 1994 also. Runs good, but really needs welding before something really goes south!

I'd keep them as collectables if they were the old style metal cans, but they are all just plastic quarts that look like any other modern oil jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back