Damaged wheel :/

When you use a car stuff happens .I would use some polishing compound and forget about it. I am sure it wasnt done intentionally, is rather minor and wouldnt want the worker to get in trouble. A couple of months ago I was washing my Cayman. My neighbor was walking with her 5 year old grand daughter and the little girl liked the car. I asked if she would like to sit in it. In a second she jumped in the car while I was talking to my neighbor stepping on my beige seat with a wet and dirty sneaker. My neighbor was apologizing and I laughed it off. Not worth raising my blood pressure. Is the seat perfect now no, as the saying goes s*** happens.

Last edited:
i have a lot more tolerance for stuff that isn't perfect when I or my bride are the one who made it not perfect, it is ours to make that way. When it is through someone else's carelessness it does flare my not inconsequential temper.

Still at some point you have to let it go.

Personally if the shop wont do the right thing (and I've done just this before) I would probably get 2 new tires, and a new wheel and use the remaining good tire and damaged wheel as a full size spare.

Last edited:
I got a call this morning and they told me they were going to order a wheel. I again expressed I only wanted a factory wheel, not aftermarket or refurbished. He said it was new, so I inquired about the vendor. He told me the name (can’t remember) and that they specialize in aftermarket / refurbs but that this wheel was new. He was a bit waffley when I started asking about where it would be purchased from so I asked for some sort of proof that I could verify it was indeed a new VW part. He said that the aftermarket vendor may need to order the wheel from a VW dealer then they (tire shop) would order the new wheel from the vendor. Sounds a little convoluted to me. We will see…

Greg, you're getting a new wheel and still have the original. Use the new one while you work on the original. I'd use 3M scratch remover and a microfiber cloth, taking my time. I know you're admirably meticulous and very careful with your possessions but every car will accumulate imperfections in the course of ownership.

Greg, you're getting a new wheel and still have the original. Use the new one while you work on the original. I'd use 3M scratch remover and a microfiber cloth, taking my time. I know you're admirably meticulous and very careful with your possessions but every car will accumulate imperfections in the course of ownership.
They will definitely keep the scratched one.

Wifey hit a nail too close to the sidewall to patch. So new tire it was. Got the OE tire to match the other 3 as they only have 12k on them. Unfortunately the tire shop inflicted some light damage to the wheel. Nothing major but it is noticeable, and frustrating as the other wheels and the car itself is pristine. Hopefully it shows up on video. I emailed the shop to see what they will say. I’ve had another tire patched at the dealer and the wheel came out completely unscathed, so I know this sort of thing is avoidable.
Wheel repair guys can sand those off and re-clear coat the wheel.

I have not seen a repaired machined face wheel turn out perfect, maybe very good.

They may be getting it from Keystone or Wheels America because they don't have an account with a VW dealer. I would for sure want to see the new in box VW wheel...

I mix up a tiny bit of 2k clear and use a touch up brush. Otherwise, you'll get corrosion

I have not seen a repaired machined face wheel turn out perfect, maybe very good.

They may be getting it from Keystone or Wheels America because they don't have an account with a VW dealer. I would for sure want to see the new in box VW wheel...
Exactly. I told them I want to confirm the part.

I doubt they will give it back. Indeed I am, but if it’s going to be damaged i want to be the one that did it.

Got a call from the shop yesterday. They said the wheel was ordered and would take 16-18 days to arrive. In the previous conversation I again informed them that I was only interested in an OE wheel, and asked for some kind of confirmation and the guy said, "I'll be completely transparent, there is nothing I can show you that proves it is an OE wheel, but it is". I responded by saying that if that's the case that I will need to lay my eyes on it and verify the part number then. He said, "yes sir". We will see!

Got a call from the shop yesterday. They said the wheel was ordered and would take 16-18 days to arrive. In the previous conversation I again informed them that I was only interested in an OE wheel, and asked for some kind of confirmation and the guy said, "I'll be completely transparent, there is nothing I can show you that proves it is an OE wheel, but it is". I responded by saying that if that's the case that I will need to lay my eyes on it and verify the part number then. He said, "yes sir". We will see!
Greg, Please update us when it arrives and you come to a conclusion. Your experience will help us all.

Back