Dad wrecked his car

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, that's the end of another car. 1999 Oldsmobile 88; bought new. 230,000 miles. It's not bad, just left front quarter body damage, but I'm going to try to talk my parents into salvaging it and getting something new. Bird poop on the paint would total this car.

If you keep up with regular maintenance, it's usually not what fluids you use, or whether you did 5,000 mile OCI instead of 3,000 etc. It's usually a fender bender, rust or something like that that eventually does a car in. Body and interior falling apart around a well cared for and running great drivetrain.
frown.gif

By the way, does anyone have any advice on what to do with the car? It could be fixed or even Nigerian engineered with a new junkyard headlight and headlight support. Fender is dented in; suspension is fine, rad, rad cradle are all good. Bumper and bumber cover have seen better days. Problem is it's Worth maybe $2000 in pre wreck condition.. Sell it as is for parts? Scrap it? What would yield the best bang for the buck to get rid of it with a bit of cash in hand?

Thanks!

Last edited:
One alternative would be to spend a few bucks on odds and ends to build a really cool useless contraption based on the wreck. I'm not saying you should do that, but isn't there something deep down inside telling you that this is the perfect opportunity to make a [something]? Not even just a little bit?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
One alternative would be to spend a few bucks on odds and ends to build a really cool useless contraption based on the wreck. I'm not saying you should do that, but isn't there something deep down inside telling you that this is the perfect opportunity to make a [something]? Not even just a little bit?

If it was my car, I'd probably drain the oil and coolant, add 2 stroke oil to the fuel, and put a brick on the gas pedal and watch the fireworks, but that's not in the offing.

Sorry to hear that. A hurricane took it's till on my parents' previa which had similar mileage. That's the sad part of it. You take great car of a car, it's lasting and running perfect; have no need to replace, love the vehicle, and then, bam.

What a bummer.

Donate it to a worthy cause. It will be sold to the highest bidder, who will likely repair it on the cheap, and it will end up in the hands of someone who cannot afford more. Or, it will go to Messico.

My brother's Jeep was just totalled, the buy-back on it is $200, I suggest you do the same thing and throw a headlight in it and toss it up on Craigslist for $1,500. Somebody will buy it and you can make a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My brother's Jeep was just totalled, the buy-back on it is $200, I suggest you do the same thing and throw a headlight in it and toss it up on Craigslist for $1,500. Somebody will buy it and you can make a few bucks.

Nick's idea is good - sell it, make some bucks. There is always someone who will buy a running car for a certain reason.
OMGosh, Some of the winter beaters I drove back in the day, wow, scary, but they made it through the Winter(s) Never drove any of the nice cars in a Chicago winter, no way.

I DO hope your Dad is alright -

Take out the drivetrain and sell it.Many people are looking for a 3800 and a good trans I am sure.Scrap the rest.

I suspect you could do whatever you want. Even paying someone $100 to take it from you is a suitable ending--it did 15 years and 230kmiles. Owes you nothing.

Will it be worth your time and effort to fix, so as to sell? I'm guessing so. Although I'd be tempted to sell as is, and let the next guy think they are getting a steal--"all I gotta do is fix this light and I've got a perfect beater!"

I presume the replacement car is all lined up?

Originally Posted By: supton

I presume the replacement car is all lined up?

No, we're working on it. My parents have a somewhat limited budget at this point. I'll likely try and find a later model Camry or Corolla for my Dad.

Maybe do some shopping at the wreckers? Quarter panels and bumpers just bolt on. For dozens of dollars and an afternoon of fun, you have it back to the way it was.
I have some front quarter panel damage on the Tracker and was going to find a silver one at the wreckers and get a new one, but now its not worth doing even that.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Time to sell to a scrap yard.

Especially if you don't want the hassle of selling privately.

I "scrapped" a truck to a junkyard and it reappeared on craigslist! I was less than thrilled as I knew how dodgy it was throughout.

If you think its worth the few hundred bucks in "peace of mind" that it won't be on the road again, someone else will resell your car, potentially still under your name, and pocket the few hundred bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back