CVT Fluid Unknown Miles

I'm the second owner of a 2015 Mirage. I changed the CVT Fluid and it came out looking like used motor Oil. Car has 71k miles on it.

Attachments

• 20221230_170016.jpg
    20221230_170016.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 43
Seems that CVT fluid just comes out dark. I changed the CVT fluid in my '16 Nissan Versa at 029993 miles and it was a real dark green original color is a translucent pale green.

It is not unusual for the color of the transmission fluid to change over time, especially as the mileage on the vehicle increases. The color of the transmission fluid can be affected by various factors, such as heat, age, and contaminants. It is possible that the fluid in your 2015 Mirage appeared to be similar in color to used motor oil due to these factors. It is generally recommended to change the transmission fluid on a regular basis to help ensure optimal performance and prolong the life of the transmission. The specific interval for changing the transmission fluid will depend on the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations and the operating conditions of the vehicle. If you have concerns about the condition of the transmission fluid in your Mirage, it is a good idea to consult a mechanic or refer to the owner's manual for guidance.

The factory fill on Jatco CVTs will be quite dark by the time they get to ~35-40K miles. Subsequent drain/fills go in bright blue and drain out dark green-ish.

I changed almost 3 quarts on my step daughter's 2008 Nissan Altima with the CVT transmission. I just used the quarter inch hosing from a refrigerator and then the pump that Blackstone sends out to do your oil analysis with and after I got out the darn dipstick on the car I got out three quarts and poured them in to an old gallon jug. Topped off with Castrol transmax and that BG additive that I've been talking about and she said it shifts like it's brand new. I wish I could have taken off the pan because Nissan in their infinite wisdom just puts two heavy duty magnets at the bottom of the pan that look like a washers to catch all the debris. I didn't want to loosen everything and I'm just hoping this buys us sometime. On the side note I am using the last bit of the Castrol transmax CVT fluid this go around. I gave her a little too much and it cut myself short but I remembered that I did a virgin oil analysis of the red line CVT fluid so I just added some of that to the Castrol bottle so now I have enough. I figured that's good enough anyways because I'm going full-fledged with the red line CVT after this. We are going to drop the pan replace all the gaskets and pull the warmer filter and the one that's connected that captures all the debris. I hope to get pictures too. I'm sure it's going to look okay. A lot of people are doing a lot of drain and refills to get the fluid clean but my thought process says you'd be better off to change the fluid even if it's only a third clean and run it for a thousand miles or two so that it mixes in and gets warm and gets cold and let the detergents do some of the cleaning. Regardless if you don't pull the pan and exchange the filters or at least remove the big debris there is still some wear and tear going on I imagine.

Back