CVT fluid change based on time

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
JTK,

Thanks, if I visit my mom again, I may try to extract some oil to see what the color looks like. Would I be able to use the oil dipstick to extract the fluid or would it not fit?

Philipp10,
Actually part of the reason to look at the report is that I am curious what the report will say and would like to compare it with the next change interval, but you are correct that we are not likely to see the next change interval and so it's probably not a good idea. Thanks!

Paul

You could vacuum a sample from the charge pipe, but IMO, it would be easier to loosen the drain plug with the engine off, grab a sample that way and snug the plug back up. Either way, I see no value in doing so given the mileage on the vehicle. If I were going through the effort, I'd just do a drain/fill cycle or two and call it a day.

So rather than starting a new thread, it seems like there are some knowledgeable people here. I'll try not to hijack it too much. My gf and I recently purchased a 2018 Rogue with the CVT ~13,000 miles. The manual calls for inspection of transmission fluid every 20k miles. That seems a little excessive to me. In another forum, several people freaked out at the thought of the Nissan CVT. They cited horror stories of having to replace transmissions right after warranty periods ended. She does drive a lot more than the OP's situation. How often should the fluid be changed under normal to almost severe driving conditions?

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
So rather than starting a new thread, it seems like there are some knowledgeable people here. I'll try not to hijack it too much. My gf and I recently purchased a 2018 Rogue with the CVT ~13,000 miles. The manual calls for inspection of transmission fluid every 20k miles. That seems a little excessive to me. In another forum, several people freaked out at the thought of the Nissan CVT. They cited horror stories of having to replace transmissions right after warranty periods ended. She does drive a lot more than the OP's situation. How often should the fluid be changed under normal to almost severe driving conditions?

"Checked" doesn't mean changed...although I do a drain and fill every 25K on my CVT simply because they are picky transmissions when it comes to fresh fluid. Fresh fluid is cheap compared to a new tranny.

TCU, the CVT, transfer case and rear diff/coupling are pretty well sorted in a 2018 rogue.

I personally like to do a series of drain/fills on them between 24-36k miles, then one per year assuming she's driving 12-20k/year.

I find it as easy as an engine oil change to do a drain/fill on Nissan CVTs, although if I had to pay to have it serviced, I'd follow the OM.

Originally Posted by JTK
TCU, the CVT, transfer case and rear diff/coupling are pretty well sorted in a 2018 rogue.

I personally like to do a series of drain/fills on them between 24-36k miles, then one per year assuming she's driving 12-20k/year.

I find it as easy as an engine oil change to do a drain/fill on Nissan CVTs, although if I had to pay to have it serviced, I'd follow the OM.

Yeah probably going to have a shop or dealer do it since we live in an apartment complex and don't really have the tools/space to do it myself.

Paul,
To answer your question about CVTz50: Buy a OBD II reader like Vgate iCar and purchase a $4.99 to full version of CVTz50. This OBD II device works fine with the App. Read CVT deterioration counter number from the App and reset it in the future when fluid gets changed.

Attachments

• 20201117_172427.jpg
    20201117_172427.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 8
Good ahead man...

Not many people know about the deterioration number aspect....

235,000 is the number met that means the fluid must be changed...

Highest I have read was like 56,000 or so on a vehicle with like 66,000 miles on it...

One person had a number of 9,800 and they had almost 100,000 miles on their Nissan.

I bought my 2016 Rouge with 103k miles on it. The first stop was to the local Nissan dealership, where I had them change all of the fluids, including the transmission. They didn't question me at all, but I guess it was due to the mileage. I'll most likely change it at 130k miles (122k now).

My in laws, who beat the hell out of cars, have a Versa with almost 200k miles on it with no maintenance until a light goes off or a noise is made. They have never changed the CVT fluid. Their 07 Altima has been treated the same way, even running the oil for so long they ran it out of oil once (it has almost 300k miles on it with no issues). They are the reason why I purchased my first Nissan cars: if they can survive them, they are good cars for the money.

If I were you, I would not worry about it at all.

that type of tranny is a crap shoot + replacement costs close to an engine, so if it dies it will be worthless. older drivers that drive little might do well leasing a car, good luck!

Hi,

The problem is that when I contacted the dealer, they seems not to know what deterioration rate means and suggest that it should be changed since it's over 5 years. I am not sure how much to trust the dealer (or most dealer in general). I did tried to call Nissan USA but they just defer to their local dealer. Changing CVT fluid is not cheap and even on a severe schedule, the service schedule is every 30,000 miles (normal is 60,000 miles). At this rate, it would take several decades to reach.

What are your expert's opinion on this? From my point of view
For:
* CVT is not like motor oil. it's not expose to constant heat and combustion. There shouldn't be stuff like carbon build up.
* Transmission fluid deteriorate due to heat. Short driving distance means the transmission never heated up.

Against
* The fluid is factory original and may contains break-in metal bits?
* Fluid may still break down over time, it's been like 6 years.
Since the fluid is 5 years old and most likely has metallic break-in material and TCC clutch particles, I would have it exchanged and it should be good for many years to come, owing to your mom's driving habits.

Back