CV front drive axle recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Can the local stores let you see the parts? You could try then comparing the GSP to the SurTrac. You're right about negative reviews being the most vocal in this type of scenario. Since it's a coin toss IMO go with cheapest new axle if they look similar in quality in person.

Yup, I'll try to see both in person before I buy one of them. Prices are similar. This is a future project. The current axle will last for a while.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a good lifetime warranty that you can call on through a strongly established brick-and-mortar store chain.

Remove them, strip them down, find the bad joint if there is one and replace it, paint it, put new boots on with the proper grease and reinstall. You know its an original shaft and you know the condition of the joints.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Whatever you get, make sure it has a good lifetime warranty that you can call on through a strongly established brick-and-mortar store chain.

With cheap aftermarket parts, the problem is the cost of installation (~ two hours of labor), not the part. I don't like getting under the car and I won't install it myself. Perhaps I could have it done for a little less because I have a lifetime alignment plan.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Remove them, strip them down, find the bad joint if there is one and replace it, paint it, put new boots on with the proper grease and reinstall. You know its an original shaft and you know the condition of the joints.

The quality of the axle core I have currently installed is questionable. It was installed at a now-gone-out-of-business local axle shop remanufacturing axles. It's probably the fourth axle on this car. It could even be a non-OEM axle core as far as I know.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

With cheap aftermarket parts, the problem is the cost of installation (~ two hours of labor), not the part. I don't like getting under the car and I won't install it myself. Perhaps I could have it done for a little less because I have a lifetime alignment plan.

I know. The point is, however painful/costly a warranty swap would be, it'd be even more so if you had to deal with shipping.

I know. The point is, however painful/costly a warranty swap would be, it'd be even more so if you had to deal with shipping.

Good point, thanks.

I replaced my cv axle with a Chinese surtrak axle. 15k miles later, no significant problems. The car has a vibration problem, but I am unable to make certain that the vibration is due to the axle or the wheels. The car has always had vibration issues, even before replacing the axle. Wheels have been balanced multiple times. I suspect it’s the tires though, because some days the vibration is worse than others. I did buy 2 year old used tires 2 years ago. I think the tires might be bent out of shape or something. But the axle seems decent quality to me. No leaks, boot is holding up ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back