CV boots leaking but not torn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on the maxima. Both axles were done roughly 40-60k miles ago and probably 4 years ago when i was seriously Dailying that car.

I went to inspect the brakes today and the driver side boot initially looked bust because of the amount of axle grease present. Upon closer inspection, boots are not torn, they are getting dry cracks like how OLD OLD tires look but nothing deep enough for grease to come out of. That grease came from the smaller end of the outer boot.

The pass side boot has similar minor cracks but a lot less grease, but still some to note.

I dont drive the car but my brother does, he tells me there is a noise while going 20mph straight but seems to go away when depressing brakes. He is due for brakes, so once those are installed i'll see if the noise will be gone from doing the brake job.

Part of me is tempted to just cut off the smaller clamp, shoot some CV grease in there and find a clamp that goes over it nicely. Its currently tighten by one of those PINCH clamps. Or should i replace them... Driver axle isn't too hard to go but Pass side axle is, has a carrier mount that is a B to remove. I have "lifetime" warranty on the axles but i'm sure i dont have the paperwork anymore.

Last edited:
I would do this:

1) examine the type of clamp used in the prior repair. If they used "speed clamps"/ ss zip ties, that's likely your problem. This is what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/010201-Stainless-Steel-Locking-Ties/dp/B000E28EG6

If so, shoot some moly grease in there with a needle extension/nozzle on your gun, re-seal it with this from NAPA (uses dikes to crimp, no need for the special tool):

http://m.napaonline.com/(F(bqXw0hcjimbZd...5834_0361268662

That link above is generic, they are like $1.50. Measure the axle diameter and get the right one in the shop. Napa rocks.

2) Also, you can make a great, lasting seal with a zip tie, just have to get it tight with a screwdriver to hold the end steady while you tighten with pliers to pull.

3) Lastly, since your axles were re-done, I am going to suggest that possibly the axle shaft is undersized to the boot and clamp. this happens with cheap aftermarket axles sometimes if you aren't careful. I would always rather rebuild/repack the factory axle than get a generic replacement. Rarely holds up over time. Welcome to our online China-based economy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have used hose clamps before, and they hold up great,but if it were me id just warranty then out. Especially if I thought it had a few more years in it

I had a honda do that
the dealer glued and clamped them free. a shop wanted to replace them.

a napa supplied shaft on one side boot rleaked on my maxima after a week, and the mechanic got a replacement free from napa (had to do labor over free tho)

This happened on my 2004 Honda Odyssey at about 175k miles; no cracks on both inboard axle boots, but lots of grease sling. Ended up replacing both axles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back