CV boot replacement as a maintenance item?

Came across this vid today.
The split boots we sold in Canada over 20 years ago didn't have this level of detail included.
As a result, I usually recommended only a whole new shaft/solid boot replacement.
What are your thoughts?
(the video includes English subtitles)

Yeah, never changed the boot as a preventative measure and those split boots were always problematic. I don't see why you'd replace a good boot with one that may give you problems later. As long as the boot is intact, should last the life of the car, you only have issues when they get ripped.

Yeah, never changed the boot as a preventative measure and those split boots were always problematic. I don't see why you'd replace a good boot with one that may give you problems later. As long as the boot is intact, should last the life of the car, you only have issues when they get ripped.
+1
The CV boots on my 30+ year old BMW are still original with no signs of leaking/failure.
A liberal application of silicone spray seems to help.
🤷‍♂️

The black spray paint reminds me of vice grip garage.... ssssst sssssssstt rebuilt CV axles!
The boots actually look half decent, but I'd only do boots as maintenance if I was driving something that parts are hard to find, very far from home, and expect to go into water. And then I would do real boots, and probably bring a spare CV axle anyways.

It's not preventative maintenance if you're replacing a good quality OE Thermoplastic boot with any aftermarket neoprene boot. Those never last more than a year or two. And definitely not the split style boot.

Didn't know they make thermoplast split boots though, would be curious on how durable the split style is for these.

Never as a maintenance item. I'd give the ones in the video a shot if I caught a tear in mine early enough however.

I keep an eye on mine, I had one go so I redid all four as they all had the same miles, plus I could swap sides. I have another one looking like it might be in need before too long.

I keep an eye on mine, I had one go so I redid all four as they all had the same miles, plus I could swap sides. I have another one looking like it might be in need before too long.
I think you overdid it. I had the one on the left go 3 times in about 200k. The one on the right was original and lasted the life of the car. I think the one on the left is longer and maybe more exposed or for whatever reason, that side always seems to go before the right. And it was usually the outer boot that went, not the inner.

I just used one of the split boot kits on my Accord a couple of months ago. When I went to change my winter tires over to my summer tires I noticed the inside of the rim on the driver side was covered in grease. I had both axles replaced about 2 years and 40k miles prior with aftermarket ones. I guess you get what you pay for, as the originals lasted 13 years and the boots still looked fine when I had the axles replaced due to vibration when accelerating. The other side is already cracking and dry rotting as well, but has not split yet. I will keep an eye on that one and depending how this split boot holds up might be doing that one soon as well.

I cleaned the joint out well with parts cleaner and repacked it with grease from the kit before putting the new boot on. Fingers crossed the split boot holds up. I had to order mine from a British company overseas as I could not find one made in the USA.

Screenshot_20220529-000715_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220529-000648_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220529-000805_Gallery.jpg

I think you overdid it. I had the one on the left go 3 times in about 200k. The one on the right was original and lasted the life of the car. I think the one on the left is longer and maybe more exposed or for whatever reason, that side always seems to go before the right. And it was usually the outer boot that went, not the inner.
I probably did overdo, forget how many miles but close to 300k I think, and I wasn’t sure how much longer I was going to keep that car, that was my reasoning to do all.

I replaced my Ford Escape's Driver side with OEM Motorcraft CV boot Driver's side 3 years ago. Not bad, I thought it was that hard. Took about a days work for a DIY like me. Pro probably 2 hrs.
The only tool I don't have is the axle socket which I have to get a loaner from O'Riellys. A bench vise is also needed for the job which I have.

Back