CV boot broken. Reboot? Replace? What brand?

CV boot torn. Reboot? replace axle? What brand?
Need advice. 2016 Corolla LE CVT. Torn boot outer R cv axle. CV axle part number 4341002A03.
Parts.toyota.com says this part fits 2009-2019 with 1.8 engine with AT and a few with manual trans so maybe someone has experience on similar old Corollas. https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2016_Corolla-LE-AT/CV-Axle-Right--Front/73223852/4341002A03.html

Thought of rebooting but Toyota website advises not to reboot. Says," There are some Boot Kit with Diameter "b" is larger than Diameter "a" (See illustration...) For such Boot Kit, PNC 04438F, (BOOT KIT, FRONT DRIVE SHAFT, IN & OUTBOARD RH) is not established as a part for service.
Therefore, please order PNC43410 (SHAFT ASSY, FRONT DRIVE, RH) if you need to obtain an outboard side Boot. "

Anyone have success rebooting? If so, is there difficulty crimping boot clamps on a genuine Toyota boot because it is quite hard? There is a special Toyota crimp tool. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...70.l1311&_nkw=toyota+boot+clamp+tool&_sacat=0

Or should I just buy an axle. Toyota from parts.toyota.com new list price is $547.38+ deposit $40, tax and shipping, about $650+. Lowest dealer price is $512 including tax, shipping, deposit. Any cheaper alternatives that last? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Corolla CV shaft w damper dont order boot kit.jpg
    Corolla CV shaft w damper dont order boot kit.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 53
  • R CV AXLE COROLLA 43410.jpg
    R CV AXLE COROLLA 43410.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
The problem with a torn boot in just a short period of time damage can already occur and while you may not have any problems now it may very well fail shortly after. So by the time you do the labor you might as well replace it.

But if you do reboot it then you need to thoroughly clean it, inspect for pitting and damage and use a high quality grease.

I personally have used Duralast Gold (Brand new) CV Axles on my Sienna without any problems. Whatever you do avoid remanufactured always buy brand new.

I'd measure the two diameter dimensions, and boot length (span needed) and look for an aftermarket boot, but preferably a whole boot, not one with a slit in the side that you glue together.

If you're not getting noise from it yet, I do think it's worth cleaning out, regreasing, and rebooting, especially when a replacement is >$500.

I replaced the driver's side torn CV boot on my Escape about 6 years ago. I have no knowledge how to do it but by watching some YT videos it was fairly easy. Do it on a weekend and for DIYers replacing new CV boots for the first time would take a day. Having a bench vise is quite helpful for this job. I bought the OEM Motorcraft CV boot on eBay days before the install. Use OEM CV boot for your application. I also recommend replacing both inner & outer boot at the same time.

Last edited:
A Toyota that new is worth using OE parts on. All the aftermarket axles available for your 2016 Corolla use inferior neoprene boots, so they will end up torn within 2 years :sneaky:

I HATE that Toyota charges so much for OE axles, and most of the time they won't even sell you OE new axles, only reman :poop:

Generally, I favor replacing the entire axle over just the boot because of how messy it can be, plus all the things you have to take apart and rebuild, and so expensive, too.

Toyotapartsdeal has them under $400 each and reasonable shipping :)

Last edited:
The Car Care Nut has a video on this. Perhaps may be helpful, at least to see what's involved.

Very difficult to answer tbh.

In the past I have followed the easy rule, replace entire CV half shaft with a reman or new unit from local parts place. Then I got a string of really bad replacements and starting rebooting them or pay up for a dealer part.

Car Care Nut is right. Never, never replace a toyota CV axle with aftermarket. Aftermarket is junk by comparison and will fail. Just fix the boot. A good toyota mechanic can do it. Just watch the video.

Another option is a junkyard pull from a donor with no boot rips, especially considering the vehicle isn't very old, but then I'd still think about putting a new boot on it since they don't seem to have a long lifespan. Get the replacement rebooted before you start to pull the old one.

I don't always consider junkyards a good source for wear items, but with it not very old, and usually a long wearing item if not for boot rips, I'd even think about picking up the CV for the other side while I was there, and a boot kit for it as well, since the other side is seeing similar environment/wear.

Around here, local JY wants $25 (incl core and environmental fee) for a CV axle. I'd expect most in the compatible model year range in a junkyard are going to have good CV's still, as long as no collision damage on that area.

I don't have Toyota-specific experience, but about ten years ago I replaced the outer CV boots on a 2003 Saab. A friend had advised against buying remanufactured axles. I bought Moog-branded boot kits, a crimping tool, and some Red Line CV joint grease. Even with no experience, I found it pretty easy to disassemble the outer joints, thoroughly clean everything, and lubricate/reassemble with the new boot. The first one took me over an hour and the second one took about 30 minutes.

Back