cutting up a dirty tree/log

I am preparing to re-do my dirt drive with a couple of loads of item 4. I saw what I thought was a 3' log buried in the drive but starting to show. I dug a little on one end and tried to wedge it out with the shovel. No go. Came back with my Bobcat and lifted it but it was a 20' log. So now I have this 20' log next to my drive and its in he way and may prevent water running off the driveway which is key to not getting potholes. Do I just brush it off with a broom and assume I will dull my chain saw blade?

Find any convenient garden tool and strip the bark off the places where you want to cut. In all the time I ever spent in the woods with my dad as a kid, I'd say 75% of the use that his axe saw was in my hands cleaning dirty bark off of logs.

pressure washing seems like a decent idea, except that you would be cutting wet wood. How decomposed is the log? You may be able to just hit it with a maul and break it up.

Donald

The log is very hard, not decomposed at all. The pressure washer might be a good idea but its down my long drive, too far away from a hose.

Just brush it off and cut it. I like to use the top of the bar for dirty cuts to sling off dirt away from the saw, but it probably doesn't matter much. I use my khrappy saw for jobs like this and a few minutes with the file has the chain back to where it was.