Lawnmower hit tree root

SJ323

Was using my troy bilt tb200 mower today and ended up hitting a tree root. The mower turned off immediately and blew out the filter assembly. I reinstalled it and I checked to see if the blade was bent, it wasnt. However, the starter assembly seemed a bit slack since it was moving a bit with each pull. Anyway, I continued mowing. But, when I was putting the mower away, I saw that the bolt on the valve cover tore away from a metal sheet (mounting plate?) it was screwed into and split the threaded hole in half. Any advice?

Slightly off topic, but it applies here.

Anyone know how to get rid of these roots? I have silver maples around my pond and their “surface roots” are terrible.

Slightly off topic, but it applies here.

Anyone know how to get rid of these roots? I have silver maples around my pond and their “surface roots” are terrible.
A chain saw, and a healthy understanding of how to sharpen chain saw chains. :) (I speak from experience. I cut down two huge Mugo Mugo pines, and chose to use my chain saw to cut apart the roots, so I could pull them out of the clay soil we have).

Tree roots are the devil. I've had customers destroy $1000 Honda walk-behind mowers that were a month old because they bent the crankshaft. Many are unavoidable, but also make sure you aren't cutting the grass too low. I know around here most cut 3.5-4", but I'm sure that varies by climate.

If you can start the mower, the key survived. If the mower can run on rabbit without shaking your hands numb, then it survived the encounter. After 2 encounters with the same root, I got smart(er) and put a statue on it. 2nd hit destroyed a new spindle on the sitdown :sick:

Back