Cutting torch recommendations

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

I’m at the point in my life where I need a cutting torch/ oxy acetylene setup. I’d like a nice one that’ll last me my whole life, but it doesn’t have to be professional grade that’s used several times a day either.

Something small like the HF compact setup would be preferred. Then again, how long would the smaller tanks last vs the larger ones? I’ll probably use it once a month if that.

Thanks.

That HF setup with air gas tanks should do nicely for you. I can’t remember the one we had at school or work but we used air gas tanks with them never gave us issues.

Cutting torch recommendations....​

Talk to your insurance (wo)man and make sure you are covered.....
Why wouldn’t it? I haven’t seen any disclaimers in any of my insurance policies that would exclude coverage if I were to burn my house down with a cutting torch or other tool.

Now if this were a commercial endeavor that’d be very different.

I bought my setup from Airgas years ago, IIRC it is a Victor torch and Smith regulators with mid size bottles and small wheel cart.
The nice thing is there is never an issue with getting the bottles exchanged, no bottle testing fees and torch parts are always in stock.
I get the Argon and Steel mix bottles from them also.

Harris Steelworker set is what i have. Regulators made in Georgia and the torch is made in Poland. Have used it for 10 years with no issues. Smith equipment is owned by Miller and makes nice torches and regulators in the USA but are premium priced. All Victor torch sets are made in Mexico. I also recommend that you get a set of flash back arrestors for the regulators as well. Radnor branded equipment seems to be a mix of Harris and Victor.

The local guy quoted me $740 with tax. Can’t remember the brand of torch, but it was made in Taiwan. This also included the 4-5-ish foot oxygen and acetylene tanks.

He ended up shaving $120 off the original price for me after we got to talking. Even offered to let me make payments. Seemed to have great QS.

Maybe I am out of touch, but the sticker shock got me.

The local guy quoted me $740 with tax. Can’t remember the brand of torch, but it was made in Taiwan. This also included the 4-5-ish foot oxygen and acetylene tanks.

He ended up shaving $120 off the original price for me after we got to talking. Even offered to let me make payments. Seemed to have great QS.

Maybe I am out of touch, but the sticker shock got me.
what size tanks for that price? I assume that included gas?

Back