[Cut Open] Super Tech MP2 (Virgin)

So now you get to pick at Wally for around the same price....
metal end caps with a "plastic" center and 30 micron at 99%
Or
"cardboard" end caps and steel center with 20 micron at 99%
Pick your poison. Personally I think the tough guard is a better deal if around 5 but depends on application.

I'll be picking up some of these. Metal end caps, plastic center cage (plus in my book), assuming at least a synthetic blend media, silicone adbv or at least a hybrid. No brainer imo

Choice is good, I see it differently but that is ok, to me its a no brainer too, but the other way.

OP, do you have a caliper to test the wall thickness compared to the non MP versions?

I have a caliper, i don't have a non MP to measure though. It doesn't seem thick or especially sturdy.

So now you get to pick at Wally for around the same price....
metal end caps with a "plastic" center and 30 micron at 99%
Or
"cardboard" end caps and steel center with 20 micron at 99%
Pick your poison. Personally I think the tough guard is a better deal if around 5 but depends on application.

Yup, i'd pick "paper"' poison.

Hey Robert: Thank You for c&p. I’ll stick with tough guard and the few FL-400S. Bullwinkle sent me

You're welcome of course... funny you should mention FL400s - that is actually what i was at the world of wally to get.

Why is everyone scared of the plastic cage. That thing is never ever breaking period and no media is ever going to "squeezing through". Give me the extra flow of that plastic cage any day.
Yeah, seems most eCore center tubes are made right these days ... ie, the windows are smaller than they use to be in the old days when media could blow through them.

Heck DR... There does look to be less than a 1/4 between the plastic cage parts in that filter you cut open. So that cage is extremely well built in that filter.

Why is everyone scared of the plastic cage. That thing is never ever breaking period and no media is ever going to "squeezing through". Give me the extra flow of that plastic cage any day.
when the e-core filters first came out, what, like 15 years ago, there were issues with the plastic breaking and the filter media blowing through the too wide spacing.
Those issues have been resolved, but some people have a hard time letting go of their past experiences with some things.

I mentioned before, now days with many (if not most) new vehicles coming with cartridge filters, which are predominantly a plastic center tube, you can't get any other option for many vehicles.

If the new MP 7317 is available at my local stores, I could become a full ST oil & filter convert.

I posted in the new Supertech oil thread that I saw their new 20,000 mile oil in my local Walmart yesterday. So they have both a 20,000 mile filter and now oil, I would probably not run eithee for 20,000 miles but they are still a bargain without the mileage rating.

when the e-core filters first came out, what, like 15 years ago, there were issues with the plastic breaking and the filter media blowing through the too wide spacing.
Those issues have been resolved, but some people have a hard time letting go of their past experiences with some things.

I mentioned before, now days with many (if not most) new vehicles coming with cartridge filters, which are predominantly a plastic center tube, you can't get any other option for many vehicles.

People not letting go of boogeymen from the past on the internet??? 😱 Even on BITOG?!?🤯

🤣🟫 Cardboard endcaps say hello! 🟫🤣

I am not at all worried about the nylon core of these filters, in fact I see it as a benefit for oil flow and you make a great point that this has been a normal usage in cartridge oil filters for years. Would the media not absorb more pressure than the core would? I would like to find a can that has synthetic media with backing and a nylon core.

^^^Exactly Ignatius, 🙂 No way I'd go 20K!
I don't plan on running my OCIs any differently than I am currently. I mostly change'em twice a year and often based on convienence. But the cars go at least 5000 miles between OCIs and no more than about 7K-ish. I mean, I've/we've gone 9K-ish but, we knew this was going to happen(because of where we were) and we used IIRC, PP/PUP or EDGE.

Back