Cut open: ST 3506

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
B) Wix: the BYPASS is base end (GOOD) but the bypass is NOT gasketed to the filter assy , AND it takes up A LOT OF ROOM in the small form factor applications displacing media volume. How's that for equity :)

My same feelings on WIX & NAPA Golds. They are good filters, but what you said above is factual and one reason I second think using them unless I can use an over-sized filter for my application.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Quote:
How hard was it to peel the fiber end caps off and how well were the pleats bonded to the caps?

It was pretty easy, about the same as pulling open a pull tab type can (you know like cat food or whatever) didn't rip or anything, just grab it by the edge and peal it off.

Originally Posted By: labman
So just how many sqin does it have and how does that and the quality compare to other brands? I don't find factless bashing helpful.

Uh you mean like you did with the P1 media bonding? What about the easy to peel off fiber end caps here? You didn't ask why the end caps tore off clean.

I didn't see any mention that it took a big honkin' screw driver to separate the end caps from the media.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
It's going to take more than a few ugly ecore pics to turn Labman
grin2.gif

I don't think he even uses an Ecore unless it's his only choice due to company ownership affiliation.
wink.gif

46.5 x 2.125 = 98.81 sq in

but screw that.. what about the metal bits?!? it's not just in that area, its in all of them!

Look at the metal bits under some magnification. See if a magnet will pick them up ... if not, then it's probably aluminum.

Peeled off cleanly? Why can I see fibers at the edge of the media in the picture? Looks to me like the inner edge that was bonded to the media stayed there like it should have.

If that's the case, then obviously the media must tear pretty easily!
shocked2.gif
No wonder media blow-outs are more common with STs than other filters out there.

No sense explaining things to those that doen't want to understand.

Been around a long time. Same story with everything new, spin on oil filters, 12 volt batteries, alternators, unibodies, electronic ignition, FWD, fuel injection, cartridge filters, Ecores, etc. When it first comes out, the naysayers grip about this and that. Every little problem is magnified. Every stumble the naysayers chorus ''I tould you so''. OK, so a few bad reports, not like we don't have a picture of a P1 with the media pulled away from the media and reports of a number of NAPA Pro Selects failing.

What is it, 2 bad Ecores and one bad P1? I don't count such dubious examples as the blocked bypass and filters that laid out in the weather for who knows how long.

Maybe i'm confuse but, does it matter how easy or hard the end caps can be torn off? Seems to me as long as it's glue to the media and has no gaps, isn't that all that's important? Based on the pictures, the filter did it's job and filter out the metal pieces. Now if there was a gap, then i can see why there's a problem with how easy the end caps can be pulled off.

And what exactly is it that you are explaining again?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I'll take a stab at it. That end caps that have to be broken loose with a large screw driver or 2 pleats near the seam that show some abrasion at the end cap bond, are both inferior to end caps that can be easily peeled off clean or large holes blowing out of the media
56.gif

I'll take a stab at it. That end caps that have to be broken loose with a large screw driver or 2 pleats near the seam that show some abrasion at the end cap bond, are both inferior to end caps that can be easily peeled off clean or large holes blowing out of the media
56.gif

So you had to use a screw driver to get the end caps off the P1. This ST, the end caps can be pulled off by hand. There's no gaps between the media and end caps with this ST. So why does it matter how easy it comes off? The filter did it's job and the pics shows it. I agree that E-core end caps are not as strong as P1 but it did what it's supppose to.

We're just giving labman a hard time because he seems to have a bias against Purolators. If the ecore's pleats stayed connected to the end cap then it did its job.

46.5 x 2.125 = 98.81 sq in

but screw that.. what about the metal bits?!? it's not just in that area, its in all of them!

Look at the metal bits under some magnification. See if a magnet will pick them up ... if not, then it's probably aluminum.

I guess they are alum cuz none of them come to a magnet.

this is the first time i spread the pleats out so for all i know every filter has some level of shiny bits.

We're just giving labman a hard time because he seems to have a bias against Purolators. If the ecore's pleats stayed connected to the end cap then it did its job.

Just like some have a bias against all things non Purolator.

My anti Purolator posts are grounded in fact. In no way do I see Purolator as being any better than filters made by American owned companies. Why is that important, American jobs.

To try to get a good answer to your idea of the plastic end caps, I emailed Purolator. this is the only answer so far. Where do you think these people work?

''Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Katrina S. Hull
-------------------------------------------------
Robert Bosch, LLC
AA-FI/MKT1-NA
Hotline (800) 526-4250

"We keep vehicles moving".

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 3:41 PM
To: Hull Katrina (AA-FI/MKT1-NA)
Subject: Manufacture

Do you have any information on how your filters are manufactured?''

Part of your Purolator dollars go to pay these people. Where do you thing they live?

Last edited:
You'd be interested to know that most Purolator oil filters are manufactured about 10 miles from me, in Fayetteville, NC. Real Americans are paid real dollars to manufacture these filters. If your concern is American (manufacturing) jobs, buy a Purolator filter with confidence.

Just looking at manufacturing jobs is a small part of the picture. Where something is assembled isn't the end. I am interested in American jobs, including customer service, design, engineering, management, etc. which often are better paying than manufacturing.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
You'd be interested to know that most Purolator oil filters are manufactured about 10 miles from me, in Fayetteville, NC. Real Americans are paid real dollars to manufacture these filters. If your concern is American (manufacturing) jobs, buy a Purolator filter with confidence.
True that! But your wasting your posting time as that point has been raised many times. You must learn the dogma, American jobs aren't important if the company is foreign owned. Especially true if it's Purolator filters. But now when it come to tires, it's ok to buy Kumho rather than Goodyear, Cooper or Kelly.
21.gif

You also need to be aware that your post, particularly living only 10 miles from Fayetteville, now puts you in the category of being a stealth paid representative for Purolator.
smirk2.gif

American greed Management outsourced my job. The Foreign Owned Management is bringing the jobs BACK stateside. Without a high percentage of good paying blue collar jobs - the country will fail. Oh, it already is failing ... BTW I was in a white collar job - except on Hawaiian shirt day
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
True that! But your wasting your posting time as that point has been raised many times. You must learn the dogma, American jobs aren't important if the company is foreign owned.

Yeah, I know, some arguments (and with some people) you just can't win...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
You also need to be aware that your post, particularly living only 10 miles from Fayetteville, now puts you in the category of being a stealth paid representative for Purolator.
smirk2.gif

Shhh!!! You're giving away my secret... I've been lurking on this board for YEARS, just waiting for the perfect time to start pushing $3.50 Classics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back