[Cut Open] Quaker State QS14006 8,600 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have another lovely specimen of a Purolator-made Quaker State with about 8,600 miles on it. I would have left it in service but the ADBV was no loner keeping oil in the filter. I would have had no qualms using it longer otherwise.

Full view:
qs24.jpg

Media, turn 1 (seam):
qs25.jpg

Media, turn 2:
qs26.jpg

Media, turn 3:
qs27.jpg

Media laid out:

qs28.jpg

And again:

qs29.jpg

Sorry for the blurry spots, I didn't check the lens to see what my daughter did before taking the pics. The white specs in the laid out portions are from the cheap camera.

It was really well glued together - I don't see oil getting past it. The dark stuff must have been the glue or junk that got caught there.

How do you know that the ADBV was no loner keeping oil in the filter? I am not trying to be a smartypants, I just don't understand how you determine that. Could you tell me, please?

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
How do you know that the ADBV was no loner keeping oil in the filter? I am not trying to be a smartypants, I just don't understand how you determine that. Could you tell me, please?

The only thing that I have that relies heavily on a ADBV is our tractor which has its two oil filters upside down. I can physically tap on them with my finger and feel/hear the difference. Kinda like a tapping on a full or empty soda can.

car wise though... new engine noise at startup or maybe having your oil pressure light stay on a second longer than usual can be an indication.

Last edited:
The amount of oil when you remove it could be an indication too.

Filter pretty looks good. For one of the cheaper available up here I wouldn't mind using one of these at all. Nice to see the fairly even pleats unlike some of the other less pricy filters posted.

You must have used the "wrap a paper towels around the media trick" to dry it out for inspection.
thumbsup2.gif
Looks good.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley

My engine's worn enough that I can hear the rod bearings when there's no oil pressure in them. Not bad, but it's there. With a working ADBV, there's almost no noise at cold start up - but with this one, the bearings would make a little noise for about a second (and a half maybe). With the new filter it's back to quiet as usual.

It was also pretty empty when I removed it from the car. It's mounted horizontally to the engine, and really benefits from the valve.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You must have used the "wrap a paper towels around the media trick" to dry it out for inspection.
thumbsup2.gif
Looks good.

You bet! Wrapped it up good and stuck it back in the can for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back