[Cut Open] Puro L14610 - Virgin (White, Slotted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jorton
I think there are about 600 slits.

What kind of steel is that end cap? Is it plated alloy steel or passivated cres? Either way it was not properly processed.

Ummmm, mild steel.... why would it be treated/plated? It's going to be submerged in oil once in operation. I dunno, pics might make it look worse. Plus, you don't know how/where it was kept (temp/humidity).

L14610slots11.jpg

L14610slots12.jpg

L14610slots13.jpg

The slots are very hard to measure, best guess with eyeballing a digital caliper is 3mm x .5mm. Not enough room to actually get the caliper into the opening.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The slots are very hard to measure, best guess with eyeballing a digital caliper is 3mm x .5mm. Not enough room to actually get the caliper into the opening.

How many slots total? I'm estimating ~300 from the great photos.

And what's the diameter of the 8 holes in the base? It would be interesting to calculate the total area on both to see how close they are to each other.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

How many slots total? I'm estimating ~300 from the great photos.

I count about 28 around a complete spiral row and about 16 rows so what - roughly 448?

And what's the diameter of the 8 holes in the base? It would be interesting to calculate the total area on both to see how close they are to each other.

4.45mm

More chance for production error, burrs, metal chips from the slits than punched through holes, the spiral band eats up a lot of real estate, and the good old wide pleat near the seam remains like before.

I count about 28 around a complete spiral row and about 16 rows so what - roughly 448?

4.45mm

DuckRyder - thanks for the numbers. I was getting about 360 slits total by estimating from the photos (18 slits per spiral column top to bottom, times 20 columns).

Center Tube Slits: 448 x 3mm x 0.5mm = 672 mm^2

Base Holes: 8 x 4.45mm dia = 8 x 15.55 mm^2 = 124 mm^2

So apparently the total flow area of the slits is much greater than the base plate holes. But if the slits are not fully formed and almost closed like seen in one photo, the total slit area goes way down.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
More chance for production error, burrs, metal chips from the slits than punched through holes, the spiral band eats up a lot of real estate, and the good old wide pleat near the seam remains like before.

I agree about the wide pleat spacing at the crimp, I don't like that, I feel like if they could fix that, the tearing would be largely eliminated.

As for chips from the slits, when look at it, it doesn't look like any metal is actually gone, it is just deformed into a louver by a die if that makes sense. So I don't really see a potential for hanging chads...

I don't really think I understand why the change though...

I don't really think I understand why the change though...

It is odd. Why go through that whole design and tooling change just for the fun of it. Must be some underlying reason.

Guestimate from pictures, slits for oil flow are .017" X .2" times about 350 = 1.19 square inches. I don't see a problem with flow. If the filter was clean and the media holds up. Looks like a good filter to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back