Cut open my Amsoil 103 - Hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.. I did my session ending oil change and cut open the oil filter which was an Amsoil EOaM103.. The total km on the bike is about 36000km, and about 3700km on the oil and filter... I didnt do a UOA, but I found the metals caught in the filtering media to be an eye opener!...

The bike runs very well, I do ride it fairly hard, what are your thoughts on the photos?

2959312985_269c4dd4c9.jpg

2960158162_58a05fda48.jpg

2960160522_56e5b30833.jpg

Metal particals like that can't be anything but harmful to the innards of that bike. It wouldn't hurt to get the bike examined by a mechanic.

I would be concerned. Does it have a magnetic drain plug and if so what do you see on that? I have seen some metal "paste" during break in on drain plugs but never anything like that. Not visible particles that size anyway.

Nice filter media though. Are there two separate plys to that?

I've always read that it's that particles that are too small for the human eye to see that destroys engines. Stuff like what you see in the photos gets caught in the oil filter, as it should be, IMO.

I wouldn't worry too much. When I used to change the oil in my MIL's Tahoe when it had around 60k miles, I would find metal slivers attached to the drain plug. That engine is approaching 150k now, with no mechanical problems.

is that aluminum?

if so, i'd be looking a either the clutch basket or the pistons.

something is wearing at a very high rate as that is only 2300 miles.

i could not sleep at night if that was my bike i was putting a leg over.

total bike km 3600, on oil and filter 3700km?

So essentially that is the 1st filter and has all the break-in metals on it. I'd do another short oci and check again before getting too worried. What size engine? Street or track?

Looks to me like the sparkles I always found in the bottom of my drain pan, when I drove bikes with unit engine and tranny. Looks like clutch and tranny material. I always changed oil at 1500 Miles in these type of bikes. It seemed to reduce this type of visible metals. :2cents:

I used to use Oberg filters on some vehicles. An Oberg is cleaned at every OCI and it uses metal media.

Opening up the filter and seeing what it caught was not for a weak heart. There are always parts floating around a motor and you've got a motor and transmission to keep clean.

Like looking at a single UOA this is only a brief snapshot. If there was a trend then you worry and have it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back