[Cut Open] Fram Tough Guard TG3593A

Bud_One

Site Donor 2021
This filter came off my 1997 Accord - 2.2 4cyl - 163k miles on vehicle - 5,816 miles on filter - no start up issues. Replaced with an Fram Ultra. No rips or tears - anti drain back valve very pliable.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Seam area is a little funky looking, but shouldn't have caused any problems. Obvious seal impression rings around the center tube hole in the end cap.

I own a 91 Honda Civic Si Hatchback with 488,000 miles, same engine. I have used many 3593 oil filters from different manufactures. The following are a list of filters that I have used Fram-tough guard, used this filter for probably first 100k miles Purolator STP Bosch Wix and Napa Gold Super Tech-used this filter for approximately 200k miles AC delco-used this filter for approximately 100k miles Full As soon as I found what was inside a Fram filter, I stopped using them for good. I know that Fram makes better ones now if you pay a little extra for the upgrade In between the use of the above filters, I have used a few others just a few times. Currently using Baldwin Filter - and will continue to use these filters until the prices go up

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gito
I own a 91 Honda Civic Si Hatchback with 488,000 miles, same engine. I have used many 3593 oil filters from different manufactures. The following are a list of filters that I have used Fram-tough guard, used this filter for probably first 100k miles Purolator STP Bosch Wix and Napa Gold Super Tech-used this filter for approximately 200k miles AC delco-used this filter for approximately 100k miles Full As soon as I found what was inside a Fram filter, I stopped using them for good. I know that Fram makes better ones now if you pay a little extra for the upgrade In between the use of the above filters, I have used a few others just a few times. Currently using Baldwin Filter - and will continue to use these filters until the prices go up
So even though they worked for you for 100,000+ miles, you only decided they're garbage after you saw one cut open? Lots of more expensive filters use fiber end caps. Don't understand why they scare people.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Seam area is a little funky looking, but shouldn't have caused any problems. Obvious seal impression rings around the center tube hole in the end cap.
Exactly I have noted the same many times on my own cut Frams. Still not good enough for the Framophobites who are really sensitive about HOLES in their Purolators. crzy

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Originally Posted By: Gito
I own a 91 Honda Civic Si Hatchback with 488,000 miles, same engine.
IS that a typo??
I was wondering the same thing! If it isn't he must have been using tuf oil grin2