Cut Open Comparison Purolator PureOne vs Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^I realize the Honda question was addressed to the previous poster but since I too own an 07 Accord 3.0L thought I'd chime in. Unless Roob has some kind of unique Honda (very unlikely) without an A-B display Maintenance Minder oil filter change code, then it is as standard Honda recommened, every other oci. So in the case of Honda's standard recommendation, the fci is two MM oci's.

Due respect but for someone who says 'to each his own' frequently for fci discussions, you seem intent on beating the horse dead to make your point that you will only use any filter one oci. Got it!
18.gif

As for the filters, both look ok to me. But comparing synthetic to cellulose media is like comparing apples and oranges. Both have their place depending on oci and cost considerations.

Purolator pleat spacing is sure a mixed bag.

I am currently using PL20195 in place of PL10241 and was hoping to see better construction. I have had multiple PL10241's that appear to have their media compressed (end to end) during manufacturing such that the pleats are wavy, collapsed, and starting to tear near the glue. My PL14610 filters have appeared much better made.

The synthetic filter is probably doing fine with the mesh backing ensuring all the media is seeing flow even with the uneven spacing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The pureone looks like it held up better to me, but i guess both did their job.

What is the criteria for this?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^I realize the Honda question was addressed to the previous poster but since I too own an 07 Accord 3.0L thought I'd chime in.

Due respect but for someone who says 'to each his own' frequently for fci discussions, you seem intent on beating the horse dead to make your point that you will only use any filter one oci. Got it!
18.gif

Sayjac, being that YOU too own a 07 Honda Accord, do you follow the Hondas recommendation to use an oil filter for mor than 1 OCI?
grin.gif

BTW, you forgot this one!
38.gif

^^^^I realize the Honda question was addressed to the previous poster but since I too own an 07 Accord 3.0L thought I'd chime in. Unless Roob has some kind of unique Honda (very unlikely) without an A-B display Maintenance Minder oil filter change code, then it is as standard Honda recommened, every other oci. So in the case of Honda's standard recommendation, the fci is two MM oci's.

18.gif

As for the filters, both look ok to me. But comparing synthetic to cellulose media is like comparing apples and oranges. Both have their place depending on oci and cost considerations.

I did a search on the Honda MM and found this. I find the part where Honda states it "does not" recommend synthetic oil very interesting.
http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm

[/quote]
I did a search on the Honda MM and found this. I find the part where Honda states it "does not" recommend synthetic oil very interesting.
http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm [/quote]

That's interesting, I have a 12 Honda CR-V and the owners manual states synthetic oil can be used as long as it has the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade. I don't think that dealership knows what they are talking about.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Not sure why you changed the topic from Honda's recommened fci to synthetic oil other than you couldn't dispute that every other oci using the A-B display code on the MM is the Honda recommended filter change interval.

Now as for the linked statement that Honda doesn't recommend synthetic, what's not said is Honda doesn't deny warranty because of using synthetic oil either. The key is that the oil, be it conventional or synthetic meet Honda specs and be run for the recommended oci and not beyond in order to maintain the warranty. That question was regarding using synthetic oil to extend the oci 'beyond' what is Honda recommended, either by owners manual or MM.

And for current Hondas specing 0w20, Honda sells both a synthetic blend and a full synthetic called Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic, both are frequently discussed on the pcmo board. And 0w20 has been back spec's for older Hondas that once spec'd 5w20. So that particular MM link statement should be updated or further explained.

Not sure why you changed the topic from Honda's recommened fci to synthetic oil other than you couldn't dispute that every other oci using the A-B display code on the MM is the Honda recommended filter change interval.

Does it bother you that much that I changed the subject? I was doing a search on why Honda recommended multiple OCI's with a used oil filter and came across that article. Sure, I "COULD" have typed,"Honda recommends multiple OCI's on the same filter and not to use synthetic oil." I left it alone because there are probably more Honda owners that use synthetic than to change their filter every other oil change.
I just found it interesting why, in that article, Honda don't recommend synthetic oil. Do you know why?
12.gif

I just found it interesting why, in that article, Honda don't recommend synthetic oil. Do you know why?

Referencing your link regarding Honda 'specifically' recommending synthetic.....asked and answered in my previous post. To repeat, the link needs be updated, link answer is out of date. Here's the current recommendation from a 2012 Honda owners manual.

Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil: it
displays the API Certification Seal,
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the information
display.

As for the previous query that I missed on whether I have followed the Honda fci recommendation, up till recently no. But the last BD+3323 shown in link below I ran two oci's and based on the filter results I'm quite satisfied and will consider doing it again perhaps even with the currently installed P1 PL14610. The more I've read on this board the more open I now now to doing an every other fci, especially in well maintained vehicle. It's called a paradigm shift based on more information and knowledge.

Bosch Dist. Plus 3323/2 oci's/ ~13.5k miles

Referencing your link regarding Honda 'specifically' recommending synthetic.....asked and answered in my previous post. To repeat, the link needs be updated, link answer is out of date. Here's the current recommendation from a 2012 Honda owners manual.

Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil: it
displays the API Certification Seal,
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the information
display.

Asked an answered again.

Would that be 0W20, 5W20, 20W50?
coffee2.gif

Would that be 0W20, 5W20, 20W50?
coffee2.gif

It's now 0w20. If you would like to read a 2012 Accord owners manual where the information comes from, google 2012 Accord owners manual, first and second entries will take you to the Honda pdf download, page 345 list oil specs/recs.

It's now 0w20. If you would like to read the 2012 Accord owners manual where the information comes from, google 2012 Accord owners manual, first and second entries will take you to the Honda pdf download, page 345 list oil specs/recs.

WOW! How ironic! I was reading the said manual you just described as this e-mail entered my mail box.
shocked.gif

BTW, I owned a 1978 Honda Accord. A lot has changed since then.
grin.gif

I had a look through the 07 manual and it doesn't state using the filter for two OCI's, it just advises changing the oil and filter according to the olm. So far though I have changed the filter everytime with an oil change. At my next oil change with the new Pure one filter I might keep the pure one in for a total of 10,000km while doing a 5,000km oci. The oil will probably be 5w20 Pyb as it is only $10.18 for a 5ltre jug at Wm right now. If I do go with the Pyb it will be the first time the car has had Dino in it for quite a long time.

Quote:
I had a look through the 07 manual and it doesn't state using the filter for two OCI's, it just advises changing the oil and filter according to the olm.

Does it use the words words Oil Life Monitor or does it say to follow the Maintenance Minder? Afaik, Canada is the same as the US and the 07 uses a dash MM code to indicate maintenance items needed menu. Page 206 of the 07 Manual says "Always change the oil and filter according to the maintenance messages shown on the information display." Page 199 shows the A-B MM item code, A = oil change only, B + oil and filter and other items. For me A and B alternate each time and since B includes many check and inspect items too, logically the A-B code alternation is the same for all.

You'll have to pardon me for not using the specific wording as stated in my 2007-2door Honda Accord manual.
In said manual, in my case, on page 233 paragraph 5, it states to change the oil and filter according to the MM.
In other news the temperature outside is 6c with a north westerly wind at 25kmh gusting to 42kmh, slight chance of flurries, heavy at times and I wrote this with a cat on my lap--- I'm just pulling your leg!!!

Cheers.

LOL, I got it.
thumbsup2.gif
Only reason I was specific was because there is some skepticism regarding the fact that Hondas standard recommended fci is every other oc. Didn't think Honda CA was different but wanted to confirm it.

As for your weather, sounds cold. Spring is finally here, sunny and 70F. But thanks for the weather report.
cheers3.gif

Installed the PSL 14610 on a 2013 Altima @ my first oil change. The packaging clearly states this to be a 10K oil change filter. From the cut open filters the P1 looks to have held up better. Wasn't aware that it's effiency rating was higher than the synthetic version.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Thanks for this. It confirms my recent purchase(Amazon) of two Pure ones for my accord. PL14610:)
Cheers.

I wouldn't be that excited about installing a filter with an efficiency rating measured at 40 microns instead of the usual 20
P1's are good, but by far...not the most efficient oil filter for the Honda engines

Originally Posted By: steve20
Thanks for this. It confirms my recent purchase(Amazon) of two Pure ones for my accord. PL14610:)
Cheers.

I wouldn't be that excited about installing a filter with an efficiency rating measured at 40 microns instead of the usual 20
P1's are good, but by far...not the most efficient oil filter for the Honda engines

I've been using the PureOne PL14610, but am switching to the FRAM Ultra XG7317 because the efficiency is better and it's full synthetic media. Same physical size as the PL14610.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Cheers.

And when one considers that the Honda OEM A-02 tested at ~66%@20um, the PL14610 is far from the least efficient filter for a Honda too. It's also been said, that the PL14610 rating of 99.9%@40um could still well be ~93-94%@20um too, which isn't too shabby.

Whatever the case, having used all types of oil filters including a few Honda oem A-02's early on with dealer changes, to mostly Purolator Classic L14610's, a couple P1 PL14610 and even recently a Champ made STP S2808 on an 01 Civic now with almost ~190k, looking at the valvetrain pics, I'm satisfied with the real world results. From this thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2682213&page=1

Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back