Cut n' Post -- Baldwin B31 Filter Issue After 3500-Mile OCI

Hey All -- for the first time in my life, I've cut open a canister filter and inspected it. This is what I found concerning a Baldwin B31 with a 3500-mile OCI on my 2006 Silverado and its long-lasting Gen III 5.3L engine.

I'm posting 2 pictures immediately to show the issue/problem. One of the two spread pleats adjacent to the joined pleat broke loose from both glued ends.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

My truck was not driven harshly during this summer and fall interval. I installed a Boss 14006 filter in its place for winter. I'll have to see how it fares. Other filters on-hand include Fram Ultras and a few wix filters.

Of course, I'm not happy with this initial find. :(

I have always said bad things here about Baldwin...Run of the mill filters. Of course the lovers from decades past b slap me...lol
I do like Baldwin's thicker canister case, but this pleat separation issue won't let me purchase them again.

I do have other longer or taller, traditional filters without "wire-reinforcement" to use during summer months. They include the Wix 51522 and Bosch 3423. Hopefully, they fare better. Otherwise, I have a 5 each Fram XG3506 filters to use during harsh winter months. I'm set for awhile. Note: all filters kept in a HVAC controlled environment -- shelved in the mudroom between my attached garage and family room.

Will post the mentioned filters above, now that I've mastered filter canister cutting with my Dremel tool.

Last edited:
May want to reach out to them regarding the quality, I have in the past regarding a sloppy air filter and they made it right. Regardless of anybody’s personal feelings about them, I’d take the five minutes to write an email.
I submitted a nicely worded failure notification via their on-line, website contact form. I'll post the reply when received.

You can see where the pleat was once embedded in the adhesive. This could have been from handling (before installed) or else from media embrittlement from media inability to live through heat cycles (under-cured or over-cured, no glass in the media?).

I'll continue to use Baldwin filters, quality error happens at every company, I've opened a few of their filters and they were always in great condition you just had some unfortunate luck, be sure to contact them and follow through!

I'll continue to use Baldwin filters, quality error happens at every company, I've opened a few of their filters and they were always in great condition you just had some unfortunate luck, be sure to contact them and follow through!
They haven't responded yet...

"Follow Through" Have you called Baldwin? Whare did you buy the Baldwin filter? Do they have a sales representative?
In Baldwin's defense, it's only been a few days. I haven't complained. Nor am I complaining at this point.

Others here have a right to complain though!

The purchase was via Amazon. I don't remember seeing a date code on their box or on the filter itself, so I didn't and don't know its age. In my possession, it remained in a HVAC controlled environment for approximately 18 to 24 months as I rotated other older filters through their service period.

I'll give the company till the end of next week ... right before I come off vacation. Then, I'll call them.

Back