cut ADBV in Mobil1 oil filter

I usually use Toyota filters but I was out, and did not want to wait for delivery so picked up a M1 filter from Wally World at about twice the price.

I was putting fresh oil on the gasket and noticed the anti drain back valve had a pretty obvious cut in it,

not having another filter on hand i put it on any way and then E-mailed mobil one customer service through their website Monday, politely asking them to replace the defective oil filter, with such a premium cost filter I think I should have a working ADBV to keep oil in the oil galleys on shutdown.

I am getting annoyed as so far no one has returned my message, I can't say a filter brand is "bad" from one defect, but the lack of response is annoying an speaks to a company. I am hoping they quarantined and not able to access customer service system from home.

Annoyed,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Right now you may have difficulty reaching customer service at many places, it took days for Walmart to respond to my customer service emails recently.

Originally Posted by RavenTai
...with such a premium cost filter I think I should have a working ADBV to keep oil in the oil galleys on shutdown.

What makes you think it is not working?

Originally Posted by Imp4
...with such a premium cost filter I think I should have a working ADBV to keep oil in the oil galleys on shutdown.

ADBV is basically a check valve, when the engine stops and along with it oil flow the adbv closes and prevents reverse flow, keeping oil trapped in the oil galleys for immediate flow on the next start.

If you look closely at the above picture you can see a deep cut in the ADBV, that would allow oil to revese flow back to the pan and on next start delay oil reaching the components potentially increasing engine wear.

I think Mann-Hummel makes these now, right, they also own Puralator and 53' Stude recently cut open an older Bosch Premium that would've been made by Burralator, VIRGIN BOSCH 3400 CUT OPEN , and surprise, surprise, the ADBV had cuts in it from the non-deburred tapping plate.

Take it back to WM and exchange it for something else! The new Fram Extra Guard 10,000 mile with silicone ADBV gets my vote, and TWO would probably cost less than that Mobil 1!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My goodness a Mobilator!

Whats a mobilator? mobile re-branded puralator?

Last edited:
My goodness a Mobilator!

A Mobil filter with issues.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
My goodness a Mobilator!

thumbsup2.gif
Yep seriously everyone makes
a few Lators!

Last edited:

ADBV is basically a check valve, when the engine stops and along with it oil flow the adbv closes and prevents reverse flow, keeping oil trapped in the oil galleys for immediate flow on the next start.

If you look closely at the above picture you can see a deep cut in the ADBV, that would allow oil to revese flow back to the pan and on next start delay oil reaching the components potentially increasing engine wear.

I see the cut.
I do not know if it is deep.
Neither do you.
I also do not know if the adbv is working properly with this condition.
Neither do you.

That was my only point.

My goodness a Mobilator!

thumbsup2.gif
a few Lators!

Mann & Hummel makes the original, and best WORST! It's no accident they're making this new batch of M1 filters with issues.

I see the cut.
Neither do you.
Neither do you.

That was my only point.

perhaps in camera does not show it as well but its a full thickness cut, therefore it cannot hold oil.

They might have Toyota filters at WM. Good to know to check the filter at store for obvious signs. I will start doing that as more defects show up in all the brands except Toyota. An extra trip back to get one of the several they sell for Toyotas and take this one off for return later is what I would do. Customer centers are probably not staffed and an oil filter is not exactly top priority in these times.

My goodness a Mobilator!

thumbsup2.gif
a few Lators!

More like LATERS ... as in not using those anymore.
laugh.gif

I see the cut.
Neither do you.
Neither do you.

That was my only point.

Regardless, a cut is a cut ... and who knows how it would handle the stresses in use. So best thing to do IMO is not use it and get a replacement from Mobil if possible. Now if it was the last filter on Earth, well maybe it could be used, lol.

If the cut piece comes off it could go through the bypass and possibly into the main oil gallery. No way of knowing.

Back