Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Fluids

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to register and make a post. I have 4 cars and quite a bit of small engine equipment so naturally I deal with a lot of engine oil changes.

In the last 3 years or so, I got hooked on Cub Cadet garden tractors. If anyone has ever been on the Cub forums or FB pages, you'd know that Case HyTran is the best and only suitable hydrostatic transmission fluid in the world and there are no replacements. Now I don't mind buying HyTran other than the closest place to get it is almost an hour away. Next thing you know, I've spent a week researching THFs and haven't found any real issues stemming from using the wrong fluid. I did however find that a few people were claiming that New Holland and Case were the same fluid out of the same factory which intrigued me. I have a NH dealer 10 mins from home.

Now up to current day. None of this is scientific but I had 3 tractors sitting in front of me that could stand to have the hydrostatic fluid changed. One got Traveller Universal Premium Tractor Fluid, one got Case HyTran, and one got NH Premium Hydraulic Transmission Oil. HyTran and NH look and smell identical so that was interesting (remember, not scientific). They've all been running for a year and a half now without issue.

Then I found out about oil analysis and thought that would be interesting to see differences on a more scientific level. I sent all 3 to Blackstone and here are the results and some questions.

NH and Case are not an exact match but extremely similar (at least to my untrained eye). Any thoughts?
The biggest difference with Traveller is the "extreme" level of zinc and much lower calcium levels.
Is zinc not ideal for this type of fluid? Both Case and NH claim "zinc free technology".

Going forward, I think I'll stick with the NH fluid. It's close to home and seems like a fine alternative to HyTran for a similar price. Hopefully someone in the future finds this information useful.

Thanks, Jake
Fluids.jpg
CASE HY TRAN-230104 Online.jpg
NH HYD TRANS-230104 Online.jpg
TRAVELLER HYD TR-230104 Online.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting to me as i just got a CC30H mower, my OLD HRX honda is a hydro as well + seen fluid for it but a real hassle to change + like drivetrain lubes in vehicles few people bother!! OE fluids are cheaper semi-syn if your lucky so prolly good to change, BUT being 75 YO although healthy my cub cadet MAY not need the hydro fluid changed efore i go to Rock + Roll Heaven!!

Elemental wise, the Traveller departs from the first two analyses.

Most formulations are veering away from high zinc chemistry and are using a mostly multi-functional phosphorus component for anti-wear.

All analyses point to a SAE 20 grade viscosity range or an ISO 68 hydraulic oil viscosity.

Last edited:
Back