CRV key stuck called locksmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Greece? No clue. On my old Sienna the ignition lock housing had to be drilled to release the cylinder (different than the BMW) so I took a new one I bought at the dealer into a locksmith to have the wafers rearranged or replaced to match my old key. IIRC it was about $50 for him to do that. Maybe a little more, I don't recall exactly.
U got a good deal for 50 bucks..I'd pay 50 over a new one in a heart beat. Especially in an old car like mine. Not worth it

U got a good deal for 50 bucks..I'd pay 50 over a new one in a heart beat. Especially in an old car like mine. Not worth it
That wasn't for the new lock, I had already bought that from an online Toyota dealer for about $65. But the new one is a random key pattern so unless you want to run around with two keys you have to get it matched to the old key. His charge was just to either rearrange the existing wafers in the new cylinder or perhaps add one or two as required.

Last edited:
UPDATE : got my car back today, locksmith charged me 280.
He had to modify the new ignition part to work with my old keys.

Yup. I also have 2 new keys cut and 2 new key fobs
You have to say that locksmith was persistent. Dam send him a box of English wafer cookies for his efforts!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-123056.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-123056.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 11
Hard to get service like this nowadays. Imagine if you had a GP who was this persistent about some health problem you had.

Could a locksmith help me if I lost my keyfob? I 've found a good locksmith hillingdon so I am going to ask them if this issue of mine could be fixed, but I would like to know from people who knows if a locksmith will help me properly or its much easier to go to the dealer and order a new one

Could a locksmith help me if I lost my keyfob? I 've found a good locksmith hillingdon so I am going to ask them if this issue of mine could be fixed, but I would like to know from people who knows if a locksmith will help me properly or its much easier to go to the dealer and order a new one
I lost my fobs and the locksmith gave me 2 universal ones. They had to program it to my car..

Seems excessive but it's done now.

I did this on a '98 CRV, simply removed the offending wafers. It's less secure but still requires a key that would move the remaining wafers to the right spots.

In hindsight I should have just yanked them all, because at least in my part of the US no one is gonna think "hey, I'll shove a random Honda key into that beat up '98 CRV's ignition cylinder and see if turns." Plus it's a manual so anyone who would contemplate such couldn't drive it.

Eric at SMA has a great vid on this but he actually creates more work for himself: he drops the column to rest on the seat and there's NO need to do this. I did it easily with column in place.

I also scrapped the security bolt and just used a regular metric hex head bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back