Cruze 1.4 T experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brand new (first year) 2011 Cruze LT 1.4T because I had GM Card points and they gave me a bonus....I didn't put many miles in the first 2 years (maybe 15K) but began to use it more after giving my old car to my daughter for school...it took a while for me to realize that I was losing coolant and in the winter the ODOR was sickening....GM denied there was a problem (despite 100s of pages of complaints on the Cruzetalk forum)...I eventually traded it in for a 2014 Ford at 36K (at a big $$ loss)....In my opinion, buying one is too much of a gamble...

I started in on this discussion with great interest. Then when I came to "plastic parts in the cooling system", I crossed it off my list forever. This is simply inexcusable. A cooling problem can happen at any moment, anywhere, and can ultimately kill your engine. I had a BMW that overheated at least four times, then blew a head gasket and had to be sold cheap at 175K. But it also left me stranded a few times. I won't buy it again, sorry. If you have to have it, plan on replacing the whole system every 50K.

How environmentally sound is this?

My 1986 Ford F150 still going strong. No plastic in that.

Just and FYI, but one individual on the Cruze forum had 400k on his Cruze and has no complaints. As he stated, it has never left him stranded along the road.

I don't believe the RS package alters ride height at all, just adds the rocker covers which may decrease side clearance 1.5" or so - I've never had a problem with them clearing normal obstacles. The underside of the nose, however, is different.

I agree plastic components in the cooling system is silly, but in reality it rules out a lot of good cars...

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
...[the RS package] just adds the rocker covers which may decrease side clearance 1.5" or so...

The RS package rocker moldings don't reduce side clearance. 2LT and LTZ have very slightly lower ride height.

I don't believe the RS package alters ride height at all, just adds the rocker covers which may decrease side clearance 1.5" or so - I've never had a problem with them clearing normal obstacles. The underside of the nose, however, is different.

I agree plastic components in the cooling system is silly, but in reality it rules out a lot of good cars...

Can you buy a new car without a plastic rad? In the last decade even?
It's funny, in compact tractor forums, there are guys that can't stand cast aluminum... Cast iron or nothing!

Originally Posted By: Blokey
...[the RS package] just adds the rocker covers which may decrease side clearance 1.5" or so...

The RS package rocker moldings don't reduce side clearance. 2LT and LTZ have very slightly lower ride height.

The RS package looks great on white first gens.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Can you buy a new car without a plastic rad? In the last decade even?
It's funny, in compact tractor forums, there are guys that can't stand cast aluminum... Cast iron or nothing!

The radiator, I can almost see. No I don't like it, but OK. It's a little more straightforward in what it does. A rad can go slowly, and give warning. On the other hand, a "housing"? The housing has a hose connected to it and must resist vibrations. It will fail, and it will cause problems unless you are vigilant enough to replace it before it fails. When I google it I get a bunch of responses for BMW and other european models.

It might be good to compile a list, similar to interference engines that have timing belts.

I had a 2014 Cruze LTZ rental for a month and put over 1200 miles on it. I found it to be a nice car for the money.

Very smooth driving car at highway speeds 80-90 mph.

Tonite my son mentioned he saw a Cruz going down the metro freeway on fire, engine area flames and smoke.

had one for 800 mi. nice, but the oil..worst I've ever seen..like a thick tar black cottage cheese.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
had one for 800 mi. nice, but the oil..worst I've ever seen..like a thick tar black cottage cheese.

crackmeup2.gif
yeah, sure.

really, both posts. the one I drove took pics of the oil and texted them to the body shop that loaned it to me while they fixed deer damage on the Highlander...I was uneasy driving back 240 mi. once I knew.

people get in these loaner cars and push all the infotainment buttons..probably reset the OLM not too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back